Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

What are you doing ?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
187 replies to this topic

#1 Comstock Lode

Comstock Lode

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,352 posts

Posted 24 January 2008 - 11:19 AM

I haven't been able to ride in a month . I only have an outdoor and first it was under water, now snow and frozen soild . It's so bad I have my dressage coach talked into going snowshoeing with me ( she can't ride either , too much snow at her place also outdoor arena only ) .

I'd love to hear what anyone who's riding regularly is working on , any level, anything and pictures would be a bonus .

#2 HandD

HandD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 303 posts

Posted 24 January 2008 - 12:08 PM

Denali is working training level.

I will divide this up into Denali and Trainer and then Denali and I

Denali and Trainer:
-Consistent work which is focusing on straightness, being forward and engaging the hind end. Encompasses having a consistent flowing tempo, stretching down on the bit to build his top line and neck, correctly using his back and neck while at all three gaits
-Working on transitions (w-t and t-c) and not throwing his head in the air and hollowing out
-Improving his canter (he is a chronic cross canterer)
-Simple changes of direction at the trot
-Figure 8's and serpentines at walk and trot
-Building free walk and trot (strechy circles at trot and walk)

Denali and Me:
-Maintaining consistent leg contact so he maintains forward and impulsion
-Maintaining consistent outside rein contact so he is straight and doesn't throw hip/shoulder out
-Walk and trot work on and off lunge line
And God took a handful of southerly wind, blew His breath over it and created the horse.

#3 LBlonshine

LBlonshine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 24 January 2008 - 12:10 PM

I'm not able to ride here either - it's either too cold, snowing or raining!! I've got bad circulation, so any weather under 40 degrees F just makes it impossible for me to spend much more than a half-hour outside. I know it sounds like I'm just chicken, but really, it's that bad for me LOL

I am, however, trying to go to the barn for a little bit of time once or twice a week (weather permitting) and doing grooming and my ammy army exercises. Hubby & I are going to go out this weekend and just love on them a bit. Haven't ridden much since Christmas - one more month and I can ride regularly again - I can't wait!! I sure do miss having an indoor arena!!!!

Libby
Libby Blonshine
Solstice Arabians
'Serious Fun, Serious Competition'
Haslett, MI

#4 Comstock Lode

Comstock Lode

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,352 posts

Posted 24 January 2008 - 12:22 PM

Libby I totally understand. We haven't been above freezing in I don't know how long now and I just think that's too cold to do more than the required chores .

HandD - how often do you ride ? and do you have plans to show him ?

#5 maryjo

maryjo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,624 posts

Posted 24 January 2008 - 12:34 PM

In addition to the usual warmup, suppleing, and stretching exercises, we are working on perfecting passage and piaffe. I am working on staying coordinated in two time tempis and one time tempis. Shade does not have this problem.
MaryJo

#6 Comstock Lode

Comstock Lode

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,352 posts

Posted 24 January 2008 - 12:43 PM

In addition to the usual warmup, suppleing, and stretching exercises, we are working on perfecting passage and piaffe. I am working on staying coordinated in two time tempis and one time tempis. Shade does not have this problem.

Maryjo - would you be willing to go through just your warm-up ? as much detail as your willing to go into ? thanks

#7 maryjo

maryjo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,624 posts

Posted 24 January 2008 - 01:31 PM

Maryjo - would you be willing to go through just your warm-up ? as much detail as your willing to go into ? thanks

Depends on how we are both feeling.

He is usually turned out for several hours a day. So if it is that kind of day we walk on a loose rein for 5 to 10 minutes to let him swing and help me loosen up.

Rising trot really pushing from behind reaching for the bit (definitely over the back with his withers up) with big circles, easy sweeping turns, big serpentines until he is swinging his back (5 minutes) then canter the same way. Long shallow half passes at trot and canter--again, over his back, reaching for the bit with his withers up and hind end pushing. As I ask him to come together we do 4 to 6 loop serpentines at the canter without changing leads (encourages him to naturally get under himself).

Depending on how active his rear end is, I will probably then trot squares to help him balance back. Use lots of transitions within the gaits. Trot to walk to trot to walk. If he is a little sluggish walk to piaffe to trot to piaffe to trot. Then piaffe to passage to piaffe. We also canter squares in prep to schooling pirourettes.

Mondays are stretching and suppleling days. I ask for very little collection. Just go forward and supple. Tuesdays we add a little more. Wednesday we work very hard. Back off some on Thursday. Friday a bit more. Saturday--it just depends. Sunday he is usually off or just trail ride.

We tend to not work on piaffe and passage for very long. Nor every day. I do use a few short steps to engage the trot.

We work on tempis only on days we are not schooling piaffe and passage. We mix it up quite a bit.
MaryJo

#8 Comstock Lode

Comstock Lode

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,352 posts

Posted 24 January 2008 - 02:18 PM

Thank you Maryjo !

I've always used squares but for some reason I usually do them at the walk for my cool down . I might switch that around and give them a try in the warm-up , if this weather ever stops and I can ride again .

#9 tempichange

tempichange

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 263 posts

Posted 24 January 2008 - 03:00 PM

We've moved indoors, just in time too, the weather turned foul. May is still an outdoor pony, and will have to wait until the weather thaws to begin again.

Sinari is doing second level work. Now it's just a matter of rider/horse fitness. Began working on single changes, I want her to progress to fours hopefully by fall and schooling quarter pir's. We're starting to throw (deep breath) FEI work at her (piaffe and passage half steps). I'm very excited.

May is blissfully dozing away in the winter sunshine, fat.
Kelly Gage
Team EnGaged Dressage

"I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself. A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself." DH Lawrence

#10 arabsRgreat

arabsRgreat

Advanced Member

• ABN Supporter
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,603 posts

Posted 25 January 2008 - 06:05 AM

I usually do about 10-15 minutes of walk work before I do any trot or canter work. He is out all day every day weather permitting. I start off by swinging the front around, then the rear around after 1 walk around the ring on a completely loose rein. I do shoulder in and haunches in as well as leg yields at a walk. Do you think that I am doing these too early in the work out?