Photo

Saddle Suggestions for "Mutten" Withers?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
11 replies to this topic

#1 Zoe

Zoe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,649 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 11:36 AM

I'm looking to invest in a new saddle, but not exactly sure where to look. A wide tree slides all around. My current saddle that I've had since I bought Tosh fits him okay, but not perfectly. It's a medium width tree, Corbet, and I use a sheepskin riser pad + quilted pad underneath it. It has the tendency to slide too far back. I haven't had any issues with it slipping, but it kind of "sways," even with a breastplate. Medium trees are too narrow and slide right off of him. The problem is that he's got a pretty wide back, but absolutely no withers (which is great for bareback, but...) he's completely flat, almost like a table top where most horses are bone (and he's not fat :) )

Any suggestions? If there's anything on Schneider's that y'all could recommend that I could finance, that would be awesome.

--------------------------------------------------------------

"  Evil triumphs only when good men do nothing . . .  "

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#2 miriggs

miriggs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,561 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 01:04 PM

i finally ended up with a crates barrel racer. super light weight and very short. medium tree.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DW Paradas Gem & Sammy too

Together forever & forever in my heart.

Mi Reagal Dream, RVA Dream Deelite and TLF Adamas

#3 windridge

windridge

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,022 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 01:48 PM

I have a couple Bates (w/ the adjustable tree) that I really like.
WR MEGA ROCK++/ multiple Regional Champion and all around good guy. AWA GLORIOUS+/ multiple Regional Champion and mult. SHN Top 10
JUSTADANCE+ Regional Champion and Canadian National Top 10, CA LAILAH- SHN Top 10
WR SHADDO HAWK- Multi Regional Champion and SHN Top 10 (3rd) SHIH
MAGNIFICO ZF- Regional Champion halter and SHN Reserve Champion SHIH yearling

#4 siiamese

siiamese

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,381 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 01:55 PM

hunter dressage type saddle?
I love the older Stubben saddles with the medium-wide tree for these horses

#5 BFF

BFF

Advanced Member

• ABN Supporter
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,347 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 02:14 PM

Honestly the best way to go is with a custom saddle.

I highly reccomend the saddles from Custom Saddlery. They will come out and measure your horse and build a saddle to fit him.

Bonn-Fyre Farms/Training Center home to- 2014 Region II Champion Stallion,Pure Polish- Elikzir (Ganges x Ularia),

7 Time U.S. National Top Ten Stallion LA LegacyInBlack+++//,

U;S. National Champion Stallion H/A SHIH- The Terminatorr+(Azh Naborr x L'argent- German Verband Hanoverian) 

https://www.facebook...571022559602050

#6 VanAlma

VanAlma

Kate Smutnick

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,359 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 02:33 PM

With mutton withers I'd have to agree with an adjustable or even treeless. Given the wide slips around and the medium slips back, I'd tend to think he's a MW.
Good luck! Mutton withers are no fun.
Kate Smutnick
Van Alma Arabians
https://www.facebook...analma.arabians

#7 JBD

JBD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 444 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 02:36 PM

You should look at saddles that have a hoop design instead of the traditional,tree. That's what my Black Country dressage has, I believe they call it a freedom tree and I think my Arabian Saddle Co. Élan is built that way also. And you'll probably need at least a wide for Tosh.

#8 siiamese

siiamese

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,381 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 02:43 PM

ahhh - the arabian saddle compay ones are also wonderful

#9 Blackcat

Blackcat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,797 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 02:55 PM

Posted Image

I would get a fore girth which would be a much cheaper way for you to go or try one of these.

http://www.wowsaddle...owforegirth.htm
Patrick G. Gregory

#10 Kestrel1

Kestrel1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 07:27 AM

Zoe, you have one of the best saddle fitters around near you in Mary at MM tack. They have a large selection of used saddles also, and you can take your horse over to their place and try them out. I've found it is better to buy a used saddle when you're on a budget like me. They are already broken in and new saddles depreciate so fast it does not make sense to buy a new one unless you just have money lying around for that purpose.

SWA Barberry Bey+++// - US National Champion, Sporthorse Show Hack, Open, Reserve Champion 2nd level dressage AAOTR
KF Kestrel++++//- US Reserve National Champion Sport Horse Gelding ATH, Top Ten SportHorse Under Saddle ATR, Top Ten Training Level AAOTR