Photo

Saddle Suggestions for "Mutten" Withers?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
11 replies to this topic

#1 Zoe

Zoe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,649 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 11:36 AM

I'm looking to invest in a new saddle, but not exactly sure where to look. A wide tree slides all around. My current saddle that I've had since I bought Tosh fits him okay, but not perfectly. It's a medium width tree, Corbet, and I use a sheepskin riser pad + quilted pad underneath it. It has the tendency to slide too far back. I haven't had any issues with it slipping, but it kind of "sways," even with a breastplate. Medium trees are too narrow and slide right off of him. The problem is that he's got a pretty wide back, but absolutely no withers (which is great for bareback, but...) he's completely flat, almost like a table top where most horses are bone (and he's not fat :) )

Any suggestions? If there's anything on Schneider's that y'all could recommend that I could finance, that would be awesome.

--------------------------------------------------------------

"  Evil triumphs only when good men do nothing . . .  "

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#2 miriggs

miriggs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,617 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 01:04 PM

i finally ended up with a crates barrel racer. super light weight and very short. medium tree.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DW Paradas Gem & Sammy too

Together forever & forever in my heart.

Mi Reagal Dream, RVA Dream Deelite and TLF Adamas

#3 windridge

windridge

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,199 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 01:48 PM

I have a couple Bates (w/ the adjustable tree) that I really like.
WR MEGA ROCK++/ multiple Regional Champion and all around good guy. AWA GLORIOUS+/ multiple Regional Champion and mult. SHN Top 10
JUSTADANCE+ Regional Champion and Canadian National Top 10, CA LAILAH- SHN Top 10
WR SHADDO HAWK- Multi Regional Champion and SHN Top 10 (3rd) SHIH
MAGNIFICO ZF- Regional Champion halter and SHN Reserve Champion SHIH yearling

#4 siiamese

siiamese

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,997 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 01:55 PM

hunter dressage type saddle?
I love the older Stubben saddles with the medium-wide tree for these horses

#5 BFF

BFF

Advanced Member

• ABN Supporter
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,785 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 02:14 PM

Honestly the best way to go is with a custom saddle.

I highly reccomend the saddles from Custom Saddlery. They will come out and measure your horse and build a saddle to fit him.

Bonn-Fyre Farms/Training Center home to- Pure Polish- Elikzir (Ganges x Ularia) Three time U.S National Top Ten Stallion, 2014 Region II Champion Stallion SHIH, PACIFIC SLOPE TOP FIVE STALLION 2014, Region II Top Five Stallion 201,10 Time U.S. National Top Ten Stallion LA LegacyInBlack+++//,U;S. National Champion Stallion H/A SHIH- The Terminatorr+(Azh Naborr x L'argent- German Verband Hanoverian) <p>https://www.facebook...571022559602050

#6 VanAlma

VanAlma

Kate Smutnick

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,367 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 02:33 PM

With mutton withers I'd have to agree with an adjustable or even treeless. Given the wide slips around and the medium slips back, I'd tend to think he's a MW.
Good luck! Mutton withers are no fun.

#7 JBD

JBD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 450 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 02:36 PM

You should look at saddles that have a hoop design instead of the traditional,tree. That's what my Black Country dressage has, I believe they call it a freedom tree and I think my Arabian Saddle Co. Élan is built that way also. And you'll probably need at least a wide for Tosh.

#8 siiamese

siiamese

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,997 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 02:43 PM

ahhh - the arabian saddle compay ones are also wonderful

#9 Blackcat

Blackcat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,831 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 02:55 PM

Posted Image

I would get a fore girth which would be a much cheaper way for you to go or try one of these.

http://www.wowsaddle...owforegirth.htm
Patrick G. Gregory

#10 Kestrel1

Kestrel1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 07:27 AM

Zoe, you have one of the best saddle fitters around near you in Mary at MM tack. They have a large selection of used saddles also, and you can take your horse over to their place and try them out. I've found it is better to buy a used saddle when you're on a budget like me. They are already broken in and new saddles depreciate so fast it does not make sense to buy a new one unless you just have money lying around for that purpose.

SWA Barberry Bey+++// - US National Champion, Sporthorse Show Hack, Open, Reserve Champion 2nd level dressage AAOTR
KF Kestrel++++//- US Reserve National Champion Sport Horse Gelding ATH, Top Ten SportHorse Under Saddle ATR, Top Ten Training Level AAOTR