Photo

Do You Belong to AHA?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
142 replies to this topic

#1 kathy s.

kathy s.

Advanced Member

• ABN Supporter
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,304 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 04:15 PM

There are conversations taking place on other forums about the future of AHA. I know we all want our breed to succeed in all venues including those that get nowhere near a show ring. I'm curious as to how many ABN members belong to AHA, either through a club or not .And if you don't belong to AHA right now, what would it take to bring you back into the organization? What were the reasons you left AHA? Registrations are at an all time low so how many here register every foal you produce? If you don't why not?
How has AHA benefited your Arabian horse ownership?

I'm honestly curious in everyone's input . Thanks!
Kathy
We can't afford a government so indifferent to the people it pretends to serve

Posted Image

Posted Image Copyright 2011

Posted Image

Home of Independence Dey (America V+ (x Huckleberry Bey+++) x Sa-Abbi (x Bay-Abi++))

#2 GrandFinale

GrandFinale

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 269 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 04:36 PM

I belong to AHA and pay dues to two local clubs. I am currently in the process on getting more involved in my region, and trying to create new and exciting ways to promote the breed and the club at local open shows and fairs. My goal for next year is to try and get some Arabian breed classes at the local fair, as well as run a booth with activities similar to Nationals for youths and potential members (going through the different classes, explaining what the breed and AHA does, getting them to meet Arabian horses at the show & watching classes). Anything to bring more positive attention to the breed and industry.

I'm now curious about those who are not part of AHA and their reasons why. That information will actually help me to promote it here! :)

Eliza
Bee's Most Wanted (Ibn Bee x Take A Powder)
Bee's Grand Finale (Ibn Bee x Pochahontas)

#3 mysticrch

mysticrch

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,804 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 04:37 PM

Yes I am a member, yes I register every foal and at this point I am not sure what benefit I wm getting from AHA other than being able to register my foals and show at AHA shows when we want to.
Karen Ernst
Owner & Breeder of:
ZEUS MR (JS Padronov x MSN Zamia by Ansata Shah Zam)
2012 SHN Top Ten Arabian Sport Horse In Hand Stallion ATH

#4 OHR

OHR

Advanced Member

• ABN Supporter
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,711 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 04:52 PM

Member here, though I had dropped out for a while. And yes, I register EVERY foal born here. Other than registrations and use of datasource (which I pay for), they benefit me not at all. I show open circuit, when I show, so no benefit there either.

Cat Dancing (HA)
MJ Khontessa
Blu Khrystal Pistol
 SC Khemero

#5 dowedoit

dowedoit

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,977 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 05:36 PM

I am a member.

I'm not sure why AHA is always criticized. Personally, I have always had good experiences with them. The small annual fees allows for a reduction in transfer/registration fees and allows one access to AHA shows.

While I can understand that some people don't see the benefit of being a member if they're not showing or breeding, let's not forget that AHA maintains the registry. It's not just there when WE need to register or transfer a foal, it's there all the time mainaining records for all purebred, HA and AAs registered with AHA. That takes people, offices, equipment, and incurs expenses. My small annual fee helps cover those expenses so that the needed record keeping is available, regardless of whether I'm breeding or showing or buying or selling.

ETA: I am also a club member and have a competition card.
Home of Kalaloch (Piaff PASB x Ahbliss), multiple US National Champion, multiple Regional Champion and Scottsdale Champion.
CA and SCID negative.

#6 Gogetter

Gogetter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,555 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 05:44 PM

Yes, I am a member and have been for many years.

Amy Johnson Proud owner of Carangi+/ (Versace X Giavanna)

2013 Region 2 UNANIMOUS Champ PB Hunter Pl AAOTR; Region 1 Champ PB Hunter Pl AAOTR; Youth National Top Ten PB Hunter Pleasure JTR 14-18
2012 U.S. National Top Ten PB Hunter Pleasure AAOTR 36-54; Region 2 Champ Hunter Pl. AATR 40+ and Hunter Pl. Open, Res Champ PB Hunter Pl. AAOTR; Region 1 Champion PB Hunter Pleasure AAOTR 40 and over, Reserve Champion PB Hunter Pleasure AATR 40 and over 2011 U.S. National Top Ten (third!) PB Hunter Pleasure AAOTR 36-54, Region 1 Champ PB Hunter AAOTR 40 and Over, Region 2 Reserve Champ PB Hunter AATR

#7 Roulett

Roulett

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 767 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 05:55 PM

I'm a member, have been since 1990 - and my horse is now retired....
Angelique

Russian Roulett+
http://russianroulett.net/Tribute.html
2003/2004 HOTY Region 2 Jumper
2005 Special Recognition/Ambassador Award
2006 winner of Senior Masters/ Accumulator (twice)
2007 18 Division Championships, 2 reserves 2 open speed wins
2008 retires --- #65 in the Centennial '100' countdown
2011 - retired at Stone Hollow Sport Horses

#8 Slide

Slide

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,999 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 05:59 PM

I'm a member and happy to be one.

#9 Aelfleah Farm

Aelfleah Farm

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,076 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 06:04 PM

Member for many many years. I register every purebred (except the one I'm still trying to get signatures from stallion owner, but one day...), I don't always register my Half's with AHA (they have USEF numbers or are registered with some other organization). Currently a member of a club, but haven't always been. I have a competition card, also for many years, though not sure why since I haven't shown with AHA in 10 years. I decline to pay for the ridiculously named "Modern" Arabian horse magazine. I use AHA as a registry, which is it's proper function, nothing more. I get nothing out of it other than registration papers for my horse. I pay for a Datasource subscription every year - have have for many years.

Tamara Woodcock, Scurry, Texas
BLUE STAR Arabians and Arabian-influenced Sportponies
Combined Training, Combined Driving, Dressage, Endurance, and Show Jumping

Posted Image

#10 Mystic Rose

Mystic Rose

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,365 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 06:11 PM

I'm a member, and intend to be 'always'. I feel that we have to support at least the registry we have - I want someone keeping track of pedigrees and show records. They may not be perfect, but at least they are there.
I'm actually the President of the local club, and we are trying like crazy to bring new people in, but we are struggling!
I do register every foal, transfer everyone etc... I pay for the competition membership, and the magazine.
How they benefit me - well - I do the rec riding program, I like the bonus insurance converage, they keep track of registrations, show records, the history of the breed, it means I can show AHA shows, have horses enrolled in the Achivement Awards (though I do think that program should be revamped - all horses should receive their points - shouldn't be a paid for program - IMO),
And I am mainly an endurance rider - AHA doesn't do much at all for that field!

Jennifer Whittaker
http://www.MysticRoseArabians.com or find us on FB under Mystic Rose Arabians
Home of: Summer Saga+ (Massar El Sabbah x Summer Savannah) - proven high mileage endurance stallion and SHIH Champion.
SHN Payback Nominated, SCID and CA negative.  Sire of Regional Champions in Endurance/SHIH/SHUS and winning open dressage horses!