Photo

What does it cost for you to show?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
52 replies to this topic

#1 Ayla

Ayla

New

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 10:48 AM

I'm working on the very beginnings of a project comparing the AQHA and the AHA. Part of this project is comparing the cost to show a horse. While I have plenty of information for the national level, there's just too many A shows to go through and compile costs from.

So, I'd like ABN's help!

If you could give your general location, what you paid to show, and how many classes you did, that would really help me out. Please do not include hauling, training, hotel, etc... Please DO include office fees, stall fees, entry fees, cattle fees, obstacle fees, and any other fees that were paid to the show office. If you don't have or don't feel comfortable sharing exact numbers, that's fine!

In addition, please share a few things you like and dislike about the AHA. Is there anything you'd like to change? What can be improved? What do you wish more people did?

I am NOT a representative of either AQHA or AHA. I just want to improve our breed.

#2 Aelfleah Farm

Aelfleah Farm

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,076 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 11:09 AM

A Horse Trial:
$200 entry fee
$135 stall
$135 tack stall
$25 clean stall deposit
$20 USEA drug fee
$8 USEF fee
$35 camping fee
Check written to event: $558

'AA' show:
$180 for division (3 classes)
$185 stall
$8 USEF fee
$8 USEF drug fee
$35 office fee
$2 zone fee
$20 schooling fee
Check written to event: $438

ADS Horse Driving Trial
$95 entry fee
$80 stall
$35 camping fee
Check written to event: $210

Plus
$55 USEA membership for rider
$55 each USEF membership for both jr. rider and me (owner/trainer)
$35 USHJA memberships for both jr. rider and me (owner/trainer)
$75 ADS membership

Tamara Woodcock, Scurry, Texas
BLUE STAR Arabians and Arabian-influenced Sportponies
Combined Training, Combined Driving, Dressage, Endurance, and Show Jumping

Posted Image

#3 siiamese

siiamese

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,023 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 02:02 PM

http://magnoliaaha.org/events.html

this is our next Class A show here in Georgia

#4 MyssMyst

MyssMyst

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 533 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 02:48 PM

Our local show's premium lists can be found here: http://www.utaharabi...ndar_Shows.html

#5 dowedoit

dowedoit

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,533 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 03:20 PM

I paid $838 altogether on my Scottsdale entry form. Don't have a break down but it was two classes, each with qualifying classes and then championship classes (so 4 classes total). Working Cow Jr Horse and Reined Cow Horse. Both had cattle fees of probably $90-100, I also paid for at least one practice run at I think $40. I don't recall if stall fees were included in that - I think they were.

Treasure Valley Classic in Nampa. I paid $153 to Idaho Horse Park for my stall and shavings (don't have breakdown). Can't find what I paid in entry fees.

Region 4 Championship Show
Paid $699 for 1 preshow class (Working Cow Jr Horse) which would have had a cattle fee - probably $90-100;
2 championship classes - Working Cow Jr Horse and Reined Cow Horse Open - both would have cattle fees.
So approximately $300 in cattle fees, the rest would be entry and other associated fees. Stalls and bedding are paid directly to ID horse Park.
Home of Kalaloch (Piaff PASB x Ahbliss), multiple US National Champion, multiple Regional Champion and Scottsdale Champion.
CA and SCID negative.

#6 Ayla

Ayla

New

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 05:05 PM

Thanks for your input! I compiled some more numbers from every A show that had a website that wasn't too difficult to navigate. I'm still waiting on more AQHA shows for a better sample size, but attached is the data as it stands now.

Included in the spreadsheet, in order from the top:
Registration numbers for the past five years from both registries and percent change from the previous year
Statistics from Youth Worlds and Youth Nationals
Statistics from Worlds and US Nationals
Statistics from Congress and Scottsdale
Registration numbers for AHA from 1984 and percent change from previous year, plus graph
And price to compete at a rated show in both associations.

Numbers for the last category are based on one stall, three rail classes, and all required fees. Shavings are not included. When a flat division fee was offered, numbers were based on one stall, one division, and required fees. The top row (bolded) is the average for the column. "PER CLASS/JUDGE" is the total cost divided by the number of opportunities to earn points - at single judged shows, it's simply the number of classes entered, while at multi-judge shows, it's number of classes times number of judges.

Some cells are covered up; to view them, double click on them. You don't have to sign in to view the spreadsheet.

Once again, thank you for your input so far, and keep it coming! More data is better data.

https://docs.google....RXRmWGpXN0NhQkE

#7 TheKnottedPony

TheKnottedPony

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 05:58 PM

I don't have data, I don't own an Arab but I did join AHA, I sponsor classes here in Region 5, try to volunteer and also put on free braiding clinics for AHA. If you are interrested in comparing the two associations I can tell you my reason for joining AHA over spending time with AQHA. The first appeal is movement that is desired across the board, meaning true, solid gaits and horses shown beautifully. Hunters, jumpers and dressage horses that show AHA can compete on the open circuits, some do FEI.

The few AQHA shows I braided at no one spoke to one another, the atmosphere was cold and people were exceptionally frigid towards newcomers. It seemed everyone was afraid to interact with anyone else. The same year (it was my first year braiding as a pro) I went to the Daffodil Clubs (Region 5) schooling show. They asked me if I could do a tutorial on braiding for the youth and show moms. How awesome is that? Super friendly organizers, excited and exuberant youth, welcoming show moms (and dads!) and trainers who congratulated each other. It was fun so I attended the following Daffodil Spring Show, also the shows for the Cascade and Heritage clubs. All of them were fun, welcoming, excited and positive. I am completely honored to be associated with the wonderful folks of the AHA :) I invite friends to the region 5 shows often and love to get newbies to the horse world over to a Region 5 show, they are welcomed and invited in with class and amazing hospitality.

Just my experience as a newcomer and now member, and why I became so :)

#8 secondchanceranch

secondchanceranch

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,392 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 03:17 PM

You should also include the memberships that are needed to show and what they cost and what trainers fees are into the mix! It is my understanding pretty near everything in QH land is cheaper than Arabs.
Dawn Brown
Baida Arabians
Glenside, Saskatchewan, Canada
306-867-2128
dawn.scr@hotmail.com
www.baidaarabians.com

#9 Samrdr1

Samrdr1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,372 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 08:37 AM

Guess what folks.....showing horses on the "A" level is expensive, no matter what the division, breed, discipline.

fees reflect costs, that's just the way it is

I don't know of anyone getting rich putting on horse shows

Tom n
Tom Neese cell# 417 773 0461
email me
Posted Image
Elmo no believe this

Founding member : Arabian No Breeders Association

"I've seen Jesus twice and I think I have fecal matter in my pants"-A member of The Coal Valley Hounds after a particularly intense chase last week.

#10 dowedoit

dowedoit

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,533 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 09:14 AM

Guess what folks.....showing horses on the "A" level is expensive, no matter what the division, breed, discipline.

fees reflect costs, that's just the way it is

I don't know of anyone getting rich putting on horse shows

Tom n

And at the national level even moreso. I entered US nationals and paid $1776 for three classes, including 3 cattle fees, one stall and one tack room.
Home of Kalaloch (Piaff PASB x Ahbliss), multiple US National Champion, multiple Regional Champion and Scottsdale Champion.
CA and SCID negative.