Photo

“That’s something that her and I never do is wear a helmet,”

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
23 replies to this topic

#21 ladycascabel

ladycascabel

Advanced Member

• Silver Sponsor
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,620 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 09:03 AM

Faerie, you are free to think as you do, but I don't believe it is fair for you to call these arguments that have been presented against your opinion to be illogical, emotional and foolish. That seems rather condescending, in my view.
To say that helmet wearing is encouraged simply to manipulate people into spending "absurd amounts of money" is rather dramatic indeed. How is less than $100 for an approved helmet "absurd"?

It doesn't look as though you are going to convince anyone here that helmet-wearing is a bad idea, just as no one here is going to convince you that helmet-wearing is a good hedge against certain injuries.

Mary Logan

www.cascabelranch.com

Proud of our family of working western athletes: Arabians, Half-arabs, National Foundation Quarter Horses.
Producers of all-natural grass-fed beef.

The Arabian and Half-arab Fam:

TS Paarden Mia chestnut purebred mare
HAA Marco Rojo chestnut Classical Spanish gelding
SA Firefoxx chestnut purebred gelding
OFW Carnation bay purebred mare
Baileys Khaffe Latte buckskin HA gelding
Skyy RPA amber champagne HA mare
Goldenseal MSL palomino HA gelding
Tenebria MSL black HA filly SOLD

#22 Pheobe

Pheobe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 771 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 10:48 AM

I've seen someones brains spilled out, had to ride past her when I was 8. She was on a dead broke horse and a very accomplished rider. Seeing that at 8 was enough to convince me that I need a helmet, as do my kids.

Would the helmet have saved her? Yes. She hit the top of her head on a 2x4 and split the board and her head. With a helmet on, it would have just been the board. My girls and I wear jockey caps, with silks that slide over them. My nan brings them over for us every two years. I've cracked three in my lifetime of riding and I am so thankful that I had them on.

Wear a helmet or don't wear a helmet, it's your head. What sickens me is the amount of people who are okay with their youth (under 18) not wearing one. I don't know about you but I've taken too long being pregnant, going thru labour, and raising my kids to not properly protect them.

#23 MyssMyst

MyssMyst

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 460 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 11:54 AM

It may not be popular, but my kids will be showing in helmets as well. Even if the horse they're on is dead broke, doesn't mean the other horses in the arena are. If they really want a derby/western hat, it can go over the helmet :p Maybe the samsung skullcaps?

#24 faerie

faerie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,241 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 02:45 PM

I wear a helmet and anyone riding on my place is required to wear a helmet. I have clients that REFUSE to wear a helmet. THere is nothing I can do about that if they are riding on their own farm. I do not LOOK DOWN on them for choosing to not wear a helmet.

Excuse me, but reread what I have posted. Do the research about how they are tested and review video on falls (especially for eventers) and then tell me about how safe they are relative to the testing. Some helmets cost upwards of $500, which some folks believe, the more they cost the better they are. Try to find studies on the weight of the helmet for some folks and how this contributes to GREATER injury for these people. Physics.

I am no more condescending than those who would have you believe that there is something wrong with those who choose NOT to wear them. I don't. I am older than many folks here and we had those silly velvet helmets as children and we were all hunter jumper riders. NO western riders EVER wore helmets. The kids at the rodeo never wore helmets either. Ours fell off most of the time when we fell off over a fence. I spent huge amounts of time in the saddle as did everyone else I knew in pony club and all the riding barns in the area. No one died although there were a few broken noses and collar bones.

The kids that DID die were those struck by cars, falling out of trees, crashing their bikes, drowning and allergic reactions. I am certain someone will have a pat answer for that.

There are plenty of folks who are costing everyone from car accident injuries, home repair injuries, drug reactions, obesity etc. To suggest that folks are somehow irresponsible because they don't wear a helmet, and are SO MUCH WORSE than anyone else who has catastrophic medical bills causing hardship for their families is infuriating. Perhaps ONLY because I have done hours of research and they are not the panacea the advertising would have you believe.

I don't intend to convince anyone NOT to wear a helmet. I would hope it would eliminate the need to look down on those who don't. Riding accidents resulting in death where a helmet was worn do not get the same air time as those where a helmet was not worn do. No one however, would make any money on that and therefore you rarely hear about those.

Horses and riding are dangerous, so is driving. I stated my reasons for wearing a helmet and perhaps I find it irritating that I do FOR those reasons.

Now, I have been known to wear a helmet when working with babies and ponies whose heads are bigger and harder than mine and if their manners are not the best. THey ARE tested for that kind of thing!
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein