Photo

What do you do with your yearlings?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
11 replies to this topic

#1 Tamcam

Tamcam

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,997 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 07:29 PM

Yearlings... what do you do with them? I like teaching them all the basic horse stuff like, tying, clipping, trailering, blanketing, feet and anything else that they might need to learn along the way for grooming & vet purposes, but other than that what else? I don't like to lunge them at this age and playing with them in the arena only goes so far. Today my friend Melanie decided to take one of the yearlings on a trail ride. Carlos (Supernaturahl) has always been a "Let's go!" kinda boy and we have yet to find something that spooks him, so out they went. This colt is so cool, he even went in the water! Its a special day for a small breeder knowing that my babies have good brains to match their athletic abilities. Love this boy!

Carlos' first trail ride

Carlos Trail 1.jpg

Carlos Trail 2.jpg

Carlos Trail 3.jpg

Posted Image

Copyright 2011

Posted Image

#2 siiamese

siiamese

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,811 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 07:02 AM

the basics - - and let them grow up learning to socialize with other horses and humans
I put them to work as late two year olds

unless....................one is a super halter prospect. pretty much all of mine have done well as weanling/uearlings at the halter futurity - - and made enough to pay their own board bills for months and months. the others - - they are just enjoying life as horses.

#3 Tamcam

Tamcam

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,997 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 08:29 AM

Your babies have the good life!

Anyone else? Yearlings? Buehler? I know its the age where we usually hide them, but I know some of you are playing around with yours so show them off! :D

Posted Image

Copyright 2011

Posted Image

#4 VanAlma

VanAlma

Kate Smutnick

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,367 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 10:01 AM

I agree with the OP: tie, lead, feet, trailer, bathe, clip, deworm etc.
I have not ponied my current yearling yet but have plans to do so this fall. She was taught how to walk around me on a lead but nothing more than a few minutes teaching her the ropes. I also like to walk them on the road and get short "trail" experiences.
Other than that, they eat grass and run around when they feel like it. My lessons are short and sweet.
I'd love to show her, but she is in an ugly stage.
Kate Smutnick
Van Alma Arabians
https://www.facebook...analma.arabians

#5 kcofholt

kcofholt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 653 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 11:44 AM

Basics....but we add the terrible "being left alone".
Our fellow could have cared less about being "alone" in the pasture....
but he's not happy watching the other ride off with him "home alone" in the dry lot.

He doing fine alone in the grooming area with people present....working on completely alone...

This is a good work up to having to haul him alone in the trailer (so far he's always had a buddy).

He's been better than most on every thing except whisker clipping......hates it. (bet it tickles)
He's a nose twitcher.....at least (not yet) a clipper biter.

Next (he's sport horse type).....learning to get the forelock braided.....always fun!!!
But the burr crop in coming on....so he'll get lots of forelock attention ;)
BRANDY SIOUX
"Champion Equine Athletes"
since 1967

#6 Tamcam

Tamcam

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,997 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 02:01 PM

I so understand the "alone" thing! Very good to be working on that, also trailering alone, wish I had done that with my filly. She's always traveled with a buddy, now I'm having problems. She has figured out that if she gets in first she's going alone and has decided to be a pill about loading - :dry:

Posted Image

Copyright 2011

Posted Image

#7 felina

felina

Advanced Member

• ABN Supporter
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,298 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 09:09 PM

I have enjoyed having fun with my yearling.

She has been clipped, ponied, and trailered. Went to a sporthorse show and has learned how to stand. She is very full of p&v (Gdansk breeding) so standing is a big plus. Wears blankets, surcingle, and other objects (fly masks, a pool noodle, whatever). Ties straight and crossties. I like finding new scary objects like tarps, bridges, water, wash stalls, hula hoops, etc. She can be opinionated so I prefer the baby curiosity than fighting a big version of her. ;)

She knows how to move away from pressure and can do turns on the forehand and haunches reliably.

Dont really like lunging babies but will walk circles and whoa when asked.

Now, we have to go back to clipping. She is great with her body but hates her ears being done!

Look back on our struggle for freedom,
Trace our present day's strength to its source;
And you'll find that man's pathway to glory
Is strewn with the bones of a horse.
Anonymous

#8 Tamcam

Tamcam

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,997 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 11:19 AM

Here's Carlos learning that its ok to be tied and do nothing - LOL He was a little upset when his ponying buddy Kash left the tie area to go home. Learning patience is so important.

Carlos 7-12 9837.jpg

And now, one more of Carlos & Kash on the trail
Kash & Carlos trail.jpg

Posted Image

Copyright 2011

Posted Image

#9 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,006 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 11:43 AM

Here's Carlos learning that its ok to be tied and do nothing - LOL He was a little upset when his ponying buddy Kash left the tie area to go home. Learning patience is so important.

Carlos 7-12 9837.jpg

And now, one more of Carlos & Kash on the trail
Kash & Carlos trail.jpg

Good Job Carlos!

#10 Roze

Roze

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,213 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 05:18 PM

I've never been brave enough to pony any of my guys. I now have a 3 year old that I'd like to pony a bit, but I think my 7 year old gelding would fee he was getting too close and my mare would be pissy because he was getting in her space. Probably would be easier w/ a youngster.

Roze Arabians Ltd.
Straight Egyptians, Straight Performance

Amer Azhaar
(Laheeb Al Nasser x Dorian Binthadidi)
2011 Straight Egyptian Stallion

Nile Roze+
(Ansata Nile Bay x LM Bint Fakher)
2001 Straight Egyptian Mare

Aroze to Nobility
(Aspecial Ali x Noble Karama)
2005 Straight Egyptian Gelding

Escapade SHF