Photo

Sound off on this idea, please :)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
31 replies to this topic

#1 TheKnottedPony

TheKnottedPony

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 05:08 PM

So I was talking to one of the awesome organizers for Region 5 and we have come up with what we think is a superfly idea!

Some of you may not know but I am a braider that has become very involved in AHA, I love it. I not only braid at Arab shows but I also sponsor, give free clinics and generally try to do everything I can to help people turn out their Arabs in the most elegant and traditional manner. A lot of Sport Horses compete not only in AHA but also in the open ranks..and I gotta tell you, showing at a real USHJA AA show takes a stunningly talented and meticulously turned out horse, same goes for USDF and USEA. I want every Arab Sport Horse to look fantastic whether showing AHA or Open.

Soooo.....I am going to be doing a tutorial on how to braid. Categories are

-running braid for manes
-forelocks (no more unicorns or croissants!)
-hunter braids (yes the teeny tiny gorgeously done ones)
-hunter tails with a wrap and also a pinwheel finish
-banded dressage braids
-button or rosette dressage braids

I am thinking a Power Point, I can add pics, write in descriptions and link video. You can sent the power point through email, link it or even print it out. Then, we let it be accessed through the Region 5 site. This draws people to the site, since I mainly am known as a braider for open shows and those non-Arab owners want to learn how to do perfect buttons and hunters too ;) It gives an opportunity to experience or see what is up with the Arabians and also lends credence to the fact that Arabs can and do compete in anything and look good doing it. All my models will be Arabs with the exception of the hunter braids, they take me 45 mins and with pics and video it will stretch to an hour and a half easily. My buddies fatty pants warmblood loves to sit around and let me fuss with him and they are very near to my house. The rest will be done at Sport Horse Nationals I think.

So. Thoughts? Ideas? What would you like to see?

Oh, and this is my snazzy car/golfcart that I roll around braiding in, if you see it at Nationals there are cookies and mints in the hatchback, grab some :)

Posted Image

#2 hfs

hfs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,343 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 03:43 AM

Hmm.. lots of views without comment. So - I love the idea! Always wanted to learn proper braiding (especially seeing some of the gorgeous fancy work on manes) and never made the time. Plenty of manes and tails to practice on, even though no one would ever see the results, which might be a good thing. Go for it!

#3 wyndhaven

wyndhaven

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 348 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 04:00 AM

Great idea !

I am all for any activity that puts the Arabian out in the public for other horse people to see in a positive light. It definitely is important to turn out your show horses meticulously.

Good luck with your efforts!!

#4 msjwebb

msjwebb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,875 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 04:33 AM

I am extremely interested. I know in the next few years my mare will be shown and I know nothing of show prep. Also would like some glamour shots of me, the honey and the ponies.

#5 jane Rinka

jane Rinka

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 06:04 AM

I would love to see some of your tutorials posted on You Tube.

#6 BFF

BFF

Advanced Member

• ABN Supporter
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,853 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 06:08 AM

I love the idea.

I am great at running briads however I could not do a dressage or hunter braid if my life depended on it.
I only have one horse that has a pulled mane and I make sure I have my braider come with me to the show for him!!!

Bonn-Fyre Farms/Training Center home to- Pure Polish- Elikzir (Ganges x Ularia) Three time U.S National Top Ten Stallion, 2014 Region II Champion Stallion SHIH, PACIFIC SLOPE TOP FIVE STALLION 2014, Region II Top Five Stallion 201,10 Time U.S. National Top Ten Stallion LA LegacyInBlack+++//,U;S. National Champion Stallion H/A SHIH- The Terminatorr+(Azh Naborr x L'argent- German Verband Hanoverian) <p>https://www.facebook...571022559602050

#7 TheKnottedPony

TheKnottedPony

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 08:44 AM

Thanks all :) Anyone have anyting in particular that they are looking for like an issue maybe you have run into braiding? A certain trick you can't quite get down? I'm looking for potential things to address in the tutorial.

While I will upload using Youtube, it will be accessible only through the Region 5 site :)

Msjwebb, what does your avatar say? It looks funny!

#8 msjwebb

msjwebb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,875 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 08:57 AM

Hehe! A pony......next time you will buy me one! Lol!

#9 TheKnottedPony

TheKnottedPony

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 10:35 AM

Ohmuhgosh LOLOLOLOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ya know, I live in a small rural town with a Walmart in it. I hate to admit this but I do it all the time when I am there. When smaller children are really, really misbehaving and the parents seem to not care I look deeply into the screeching 7 year olds eyes, smile and say "You're so cute, you need a pony! Every cute girl needs a pony!!" THAT usually gets the parents attention LOLOLOLOL!!!!!!!!

*adding that I am talking about disastrously unattended naughty kids, not the usual crying baby or rambling loud toddler :)

#10 elitearab

elitearab

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,480 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 03:16 PM

Sounds like a great idea! I wished there was something like this available when we started doing button braids a few years ago. Many hours of trial and error....heavy on the error!
www.elitearabians.com

Come visit us to see the farm and horses for sale. We are selling the farm and disbursing all but a few of our horses. Prices are super low and all offers will be considered. A good home more important than price!