Photo

Youth Nationals - thoughts & suggestions

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
74 replies to this topic

#1 missouripassage

missouripassage

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 591 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 11:02 AM

Another Youth Nationals has come & gone; had a great time watching the show but a lot of thoughts going on during it & wanted to present them here for discussion. Have also sent this to AHA.

SECTIONS – Why are some of these classes having “sections” when they are very small? We saw some of the “section” classes have 12 or so entries show at a time, and then had only 3-4 removed – is not the purpose of the section to eliminate some of the entries so only the best will be moved on? Why not pick the top 5 or 6 rather than 8 or 10? “Knocking off” only a few at a time does not seem very time-efficient. Some of the working cow & reining classes only had a few competitors, and yet they had SF classes – Why is this? Why not do a FNL and get it over with?

SHOEING – The saddleseat horses are beginning to look like Tennessee Walkers. If something isn’t changed soon we are going to be headed down the path of that breed & USDA will be affecting our shows in a manner which will NOT popular. We had better start self-regulating our shows and get back to the Natural Arabian horse. Normal sized shoes should be the standard for ALL of our show horses, no matter what discipline they are being shown in. The exaggerated action and consistent loss of shoes during the saddleseat classes at YN this year was appalling. Just the loss of shoes alone is time-consuming for the shoe and embarrassing for the breed.

CLASSES that are small should be combined and large classes should be split. Many classes, such as Halter, Trail, Park and Hunter Hack, do not have very many entrants and should not warrant being split into different classes. Many other classes, such as some of the Showmanship & Dressage, are sufficient in size to warrant a split. Combining some of the classes will give time to offer additional classes which may or may not more successful, such as Freestyle Dressage JTR, Sport Horse in-Hand JTH, Barrel Racing JTR, Pole Bending JTR, etc.

EXHIBITIONS are a great idea for getting potential new classes added, but not if no one participates. Were the working western trainers contacted prior to the Team Penning Exhibition being planned? What a shame that it was canceled due to lack of entrants! I was looking forward to watching it, and am sure others were as well. Events like these take some planning, and participating barns & trainers should be lined up long before it is announced that it will be occurring. Also, why is the Freestyle Reining class STILL an Exhibition class?

#2 cockermom

cockermom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,013 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 12:06 PM

I think that is great feedback. Having a fun and vibrant youth nationals will ensure long term success of showing Arabians.

As for the shoes..... when judges stop pinning the clown shoes, the demand will fade. When the overdone action is frowned upon, the demand will fade. That's a longer term process. Shorter term solution is to make a rule against them.

IMO - as long as there is a level playing field - i.e. shoe rules - then less is more - and horses can be judged on their merits instead of their "packages".

#3 windridge

windridge

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,011 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 12:19 PM

I think if we eliminated the time outs to replace lost shoes it would really help encourage more reasonable shoeing. Plus it would really be more spectator friendly as well as for those warming up for the following class. Off hand I can't think of any equine competition that allows time outs to reset shoes- dressage, jumping, racing, working cow, cutting, team penning, reining, eventing if you lose a shoe you either make due without or excuse yourself. I would still stop the class to retrieve the shoe as to not risk injury to another horse.

WR MEGA ROCK++/ multiple Regional Champion and all around good guy. AWA GLORIOUS+/ multiple Regional Champion and mult. SHN Top 10
JUSTADANCE+ Regional Champion and Canadian National Top 10, CA LAILAH- SHN Top 10
WR SHADDO HAWK- Multi Regional Champion and SHN Top 10 (3rd) SHIH
MAGNIFICO ZF- Regional Champion halter and SHN Reserve Champion SHIH yearling

#4 ridetowin

ridetowin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,666 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 12:26 PM

I think if we eliminated the time outs to replace lost shoes it would really help encourage more reasonable shoeing. Plus it would really be more spectator friendly as well as for those warming up for the following class. Off hand I can't think of any equine competition that allows time outs to reset shoes- dressage, jumping, racing, working cow, cutting, team penning, reining, eventing if you lose a shoe you either make due without or excuse yourself. I would still stop the class to retrieve the shoe as to not risk injury to another horse.

But wait! they don't really need them, they move the same without them apparently, so it shouldn't make a difference ..............
Sonya

"If slaughterhouses had glass walls, there would be more vegetarians"

#5 kathy s.

kathy s.

Advanced Member

• ABN Supporter
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,195 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 02:19 PM

But wait! they don't really need them, they move the same without them apparently, so it shouldn't make a difference ..............

Yep. Those shoes just "enhance" movement, that's all. I've heard that the attendance was half that of previous years. Is this true? Why?
Kathy
We can't afford a government so indifferent to the people it pretends to serve

Posted Image

Posted Image Copyright 2011

Posted Image

Home of Independence Dey (America V+ (x Huckleberry Bey+++) x Sa-Abbi (x Bay-Abi++))

#6 splashh

splashh

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 885 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 05:31 PM

Another Youth Nationals has come & gone; had a great time watching the show but a lot of thoughts going on during it & wanted to present them here for discussion. Have also sent this to AHA.

SECTIONS – Why are some of these classes having “sections” when they are very small? We saw some of the “section” classes have 12 or so entries show at a time, and then had only 3-4 removed – is not the purpose of the section to eliminate some of the entries so only the best will be moved on? Why not pick the top 5 or 6 rather than 8 or 10? “Knocking off” only a few at a time does not seem very time-efficient. Some of the working cow & reining classes only had a few competitors, and yet they had SF classes – Why is this? Why not do a FNL and get it over with?

SHOEING – The saddleseat horses are beginning to look like Tennessee Walkers. If something isn’t changed soon we are going to be headed down the path of that breed & USDA will be affecting our shows in a manner which will NOT popular. We had better start self-regulating our shows and get back to the Natural Arabian horse. Normal sized shoes should be the standard for ALL of our show horses, no matter what discipline they are being shown in. The exaggerated action and consistent loss of shoes during the saddleseat classes at YN this year was appalling. Just the loss of shoes alone is time-consuming for the shoe and embarrassing for the breed.

CLASSES that are small should be combined and large classes should be split. Many classes, such as Halter, Trail, Park and Hunter Hack, do not have very many entrants and should not warrant being split into different classes. Many other classes, such as some of the Showmanship & Dressage, are sufficient in size to warrant a split. Combining some of the classes will give time to offer additional classes which may or may not more successful, such as Freestyle Dressage JTR, Sport Horse in-Hand JTH, Barrel Racing JTR, Pole Bending JTR, etc.

EXHIBITIONS are a great idea for getting potential new classes added, but not if no one participates. Were the working western trainers contacted prior to the Team Penning Exhibition being planned? What a shame that it was canceled due to lack of entrants! I was looking forward to watching it, and am sure others were as well. Events like these take some planning, and participating barns & trainers should be lined up long before it is announced that it will be occurring. Also, why is the Freestyle Reining class STILL an Exhibition class?

I love it...what she said is spot on! Glad to see you posted this and it IS great feedback. How to get the AHA on board with that shoeing fiasco?

#7 kathy s.

kathy s.

Advanced Member

• ABN Supporter
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,195 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 06:50 PM

I love it...what she said is spot on! Glad to see you posted this and it IS great feedback. How to get the AHA on board with that shoeing fiasco?

Everyone knows what the solution to clown shoes are; those that compete in those classes insist their horses be shod as lightly as possible. When the horses well being becomes more important than that $3 blue ribbon, that's when things will change.
Kathy
We can't afford a government so indifferent to the people it pretends to serve

Posted Image

Posted Image Copyright 2011

Posted Image

Home of Independence Dey (America V+ (x Huckleberry Bey+++) x Sa-Abbi (x Bay-Abi++))

#8 OHR

OHR

Advanced Member

• ABN Supporter
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,336 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 03:53 AM

Yep. Those shoes just "enhance" movement, that's all. I've heard that the attendance was half that of previous years. Is this true? Why?

And if you believe THAT, I have this flying horse for sale............................

Cat Dancing (HA)
MJ Khontessa
Blu Khrystal Pistol
 SC Khemero

#9 jane Rinka

jane Rinka

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 05:59 AM

My husband is a farrier and couldn't agree more on the shoeing issue.

#10 WanderingStar

WanderingStar

Advanced Member

• ABN Supporter
  • PipPipPip
  • 713 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 06:17 AM

I've proven how the shoe package does and does not change my horse's motion. Would you like to run in one shoe? Whether you run differently barefoot or in sneakers does not make a difference, if I give you only one shoe you will run funny.

Everyone knows what the solution to clown shoes are; those that compete in those classes insist their horses be shod as lightly as possible. When the horses well being becomes more important than that $3 blue ribbon, that's when things will change.

I'm absolutely sick and tired of you insinutating that I do not care about my horse's well-being.

Clearly, nothing will settle the shoeing debate for those of you who continue to blindly bash all saddleseat owners, trainers, and riders. I guess we're all just unethical scumbags who don't care about our horses, only care about our ribbon, and have zero problem with crippling our babies in order to win. We're stupid, uninformed, and uninvolved. Keep up with that attitude, it's really inviting for outsiders.
The Daughter of Reason