Photo

Differences in expectations

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
7 replies to this topic

#1 maryjo

maryjo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,411 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 07:19 AM

Having been on quite a few show committees, one item that appears to be a significant issue for Arabian exhibitors is stabling. Most apparently will not support a show that offers stabling in tents. Other disciplines use this type of stabling on a regular basis.

Here is the stabling for ALL nations' horses at the 2012 Olympics.

Posted Image

For those of you who compete and do not compete at shows unless they are held inside and with non-tent stabling, could you share your thoughts and feelings on the subject?

Thanks.
MaryJo

#2 BFF

BFF

Advanced Member

• ABN Supporter
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,344 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 07:48 AM

I don't have a problem with the tents I have a problem with how narrow the aisles are in that photo.

I have only been stabled one time where it was that tight- at Canadian Nationals in 1992. It was HORRIBLE.
Although it was not a tent it was a building.
I felt like I was on top of my neighbors. We also had unpleasant neighbors. Oh and we were stabled on slick cement to boot.
One horse got electrocuted from a bad ground, lept up over the stall door and ran in a panic through the stabling, colliding
into an elderly spectator who appeared to sustain major injuries - though his ultimate fate was not ever shared that I heard.

With what I pay for stabling at a horse show and all those cute extra fees they add on and raise at their pleasure, I would at least like to have some space between me and my neighbors and be able to get my horses in and out safely and not have to be constantly dodging horses coming in and out of the barn. Note in the photo there are tack boxes all about, making the aisle that much more narrow.

So its not the tent here I would see as the problem its the spacing. Obviously with the cost of tents they are going to pack the stalls in like sardines.

Bonn-Fyre Farms/Training Center home to- 2014 Region II Champion Stallion,Pure Polish- Elikzir (Ganges x Ularia),

7 Time U.S. National Top Ten Stallion LA LegacyInBlack+++//,

U;S. National Champion Stallion H/A SHIH- The Terminatorr+(Azh Naborr x L'argent- German Verband Hanoverian) 

https://www.facebook...571022559602050

#3 krissylekrix2001

krissylekrix2001

Advanced Member

• ABN Supporter
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,397 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 09:13 AM

well if AHA's idea of a tent was that equivalent, there would be no problem!

#4 Aelfleah Farm

Aelfleah Farm

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,076 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 11:50 AM

Those aisles are HUGE compared to the tents I usually stable in! Every tent I've ever stabled in has just enough room in the aisle to walk a single horse between tack trunks - I guess maybe 6' aisles - which is the "norm" at all of the horse trials, driving trials, and A/AA rated h/j shows I attend. I have NO problem stabling in those tents. It's only for a while, not like I'm, moving in permanent or anything. I usually spring for a tack stall so the area in front of my stall isn't filled with tack trunks and hay bales.

My only cares re: stabling are 1) the flooring be DRY, 2) the electric outlets be close enough, and strong enough and plentiful enough, or me and my temp neighbors to all plug in our fans and stuff, and 3) the water hydrants be close enough (within say 50') that I don't need to carry water buckets. Wide aisles and "real" roofs are gravy.

Seriously, I would LOVE to have tent stabling like that. I mean FANS! On the tent roof! How cool (haha!) is that?!?

Tamara Woodcock, Scurry, Texas
BLUE STAR Arabians and Arabian-influenced Sportponies
Combined Training, Combined Driving, Dressage, Endurance, and Show Jumping

Posted Image

#5 kcofholt

kcofholt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 638 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 11:51 AM

National KY...I was in a tent....tent was ok.....it's the river running through the stall I objected to.

In the info on the show...it is nice to know if stall floors are dirt or concrete....I pack differently.

aisles in photo are fine...

Issues I have had.
vinyl stall sides.... horses kicked each other
LONG walk to bathroom
LONG distance to water
river in stall
flooded stall (from near by wash rack)

I fuss more about (lack of safe) warm up area.

Seen many facilities hold different horse events back to back weekends.....Hunters/Jumpers...Cutting...ASB....4-H....Morgan..AQHA...Arabian
..........The arabian folks complain the most....same stalls....same everything except the Arabian stall fees are higher...THAT I complain about.
BRANDY SIOUX
"Champion Equine Athletes"
since 1967

#6 Felenah

Felenah

• ABN Supporter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 03:23 PM

Hello. I would have no trouble using a tent. My concerns would be:
1) Did it leak when it rained?
2) Stall flooring?
3) Adequate hallway.
4) Not too far from a water source
5) Adequate electricity outlets
6) What is the air movement like?

If there was a choice between a tent or covered indoor, a price break would be appreciated with a tent. Thank you

#7 skg1

skg1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,005 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 11:22 AM

I am an event planner and there are many, many nice tents that you can get that will work well for horses, however they are costly and these are not the usual tents you see at a horse show, ie the one in the pic. It is funny how different breeds do different things, like you would think there would be a tack stall for each horse....I really don't know what you do with all your stuff, I can't imagine that tack box holds everything, but I guess it does. I hate the Vinyl Stalls I think they are so dangerous, as long as the tent has good portable safe stalls I really don't mind a tent, but I will say that I do prefer a barn.....Flooding is my next item that really keeps me away from a show. I am always shocked at the electrical cords at a horse show running here and there and in the reach of horses over hay/shavings etc etc. Sometimes you got to wonder about the common sense of the people who build some of these facilities.
KG
Proud Owner Of:

JMK Blue Bayou (Fun Valley Gusto x *Amira Bidiya)

Region 15 Top 5 Ladies Side Saddle

Aabsolut Flame SF (Aabsolut x EE Karmel)

Natalya TO (Sir Fames x Sol Natique)

#8 spike25

spike25

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,090 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 12:48 PM

Over the years we have stabled in tents at some of the biggest hunter shows in the east and the highest of the high were stabled in the same places as the not so high! I am sure management tries to put tents in the best possible place but Mother Nature can be unco-operative at times and creates way more water than we would like! I have had no problems with tents or the canvas stalls except for one time when the tent post was right in the middle of one of my stalls! I made them find me better stalls!
Beth Thomas
Stone Hollow Sport Horses
Home of National, Regional and Class A Working hunters and sport horses!