Photo

Sick, sick, sick!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
72 replies to this topic

#1 Bruce's Tack Box

Bruce's Tack Box

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 321 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 04:18 PM

Sick, just sick. I was at an auction this morning in northern Indiana. There were five GORGEOUS Arab yearling colts. These colts were well cared for, obviously well bred, assumable halter bred and WITHOUT PAPERS!!! I would have splerged and brought them all home but no papers. What am I supposed to do with a yearling colt with no papers??? NOTHING! It just made me sick that someone would drop off five NICE colts without papers. These colts could have gone to show homes but instead probably went to Canada. I see a lot of Arabs at the sales but these colts really stood out. These were quality horses and it just made me sick that they were "lost" forever. These were colts that easily could have gone right to the bigger shows.

Wouldn't it be better to give them away than to send them to the sale without papers?? I understand being trashed for running horses through sales but without papers is just pathetic!!! I know how hard it is to get rid of horses right now but these horses could have found homes.

Ok sorry for the rant. These horses will haunt me!!

#2 krissylekrix2001

krissylekrix2001

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,410 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 04:47 PM

deleted cuz I don't know how valid/true that comment was!

Edited by krissylekrix2001, 20 July 2012 - 05:51 PM.

#3 lkirby

lkirby

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,480 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 04:53 PM

I absolutely agree!!! It is extremely disgusting!!! What exactly do people think is really going to happen to Arabian horses without their registration papers. This economy is too difficult for most people to take on "grade" Arabian horses. Even with registration papers, it is difficult to place untrained yearling horses. But those yearlings could have had a fighting chance to go on and become some person's beloved geldings if they had their registration papers.

Lorna G. Kirby, PE

When you have gone through fire, you won't fade in the sun!!

#4 ridetowin

ridetowin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,019 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 05:02 PM

I pray the kill buyers did not get them...... sending horses to a sale is bad enough, to a sale with no papers is cirmminal, or at least it should be! life time ban from AHA should be the penalty.

Sadly the public outrage, bashing and harrassment many breeders have recieved after sending horses WITH papers to sales, well, makes it not in their best interest to do so. As enraging as it is, it's not illegal to send horses to these auctions. :(

I totallly understand where you are coming from, and am in no way defending, trust me, makes my blood boil!! :(
Sonya

"If slaughterhouses had glass walls, there would be more vegetarians"

#5 Bruce's Tack Box

Bruce's Tack Box

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 321 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 05:12 PM

I sent a very nice email to a breeding farm in the area (from a tip, Thank you!) I was very nice but did explain that I could help them place their horses in the future rather than sending them to the killers. We will see if I get a reply...if it is that farm then they will atleast know that people are aware of what they are doing. I understand money issues and hay problems but to continue to do this when help has been offered really tells a lot about people. We will see....

#6 kcranford

kcranford

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,890 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 05:15 PM

='(
RUSSKA FARMS, LLC
Arabian Show Horses
Dr. Russell & Kathy Cranford
"We were created by an Artist. We are meant to live beautifully every day."

#7 zai

zai

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 851 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 06:15 PM

There really is no reason with the current state of DNA testing to deny a horse its birthright...it is just going to take a whole lot more thinking out of the box from the Registry...

#8 dowedoit

dowedoit

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,801 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 06:38 PM

I really doubt it is to get money from running them through the auction as opposed to giving them away with their papers. Reality is that people are offering papered, and sometimes even broke Arabians, and they still don't find homes. An auction allows for immediately reducing the feed bill.

All of the above aside, I suspect the real reason horses are run through an auction without papers is to create a disconnect between the horse and breeder/owner who sent them to auction. Fact is, a papered horse is going to bring more money, even from an auction, so they are sending them through without papers for a reason. In this era where everything can be immediately known/disclosed via internet, breeders/owners are immediately villianized if they send horses through an auction. IMO, the criticism for doing so is exactly why they are now going to auction without their papers. Sometimes the better choice is the lesser of two evils. I would encourage all of us to keep that in mind when we hear of these things. While we may not like the fact that an auction is the venue of choice, perhaps we should at least learn to appreciate that it would be far worse if the horse didn't go though with papers. A recent example - Red Sonja and the mare Maplewood took (her name escapes me at the moment). She was crucified by people on this forum. I doubt she will ever again send a horse through with papers that connect the horse to her.

Stepping off my soap box now. Sorry for the rant.
Home of Kalaloch (Piaff PASB x Ahbliss), multiple US National Champion, multiple Regional Champion and Scottsdale Champion.
CA and SCID negative.

#9 Lacinda

Lacinda

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,723 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 06:55 PM

You have a point Shelly and back then I did not really realize this but have since come to change my thinking a little. If the breeder sends them through with papers we need to applaud them in a sense not crucify as this encourages more to do the same in the future. It sucks....but we should do it for the horses.
Signature being edited, too large.

#10 dowedoit

dowedoit

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,801 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 07:02 PM

You have a point Shelly and back then I did not really realize this but have since come to change my thinking a little. If the breeder sends them through with papers we need to applaud them in a sense not crucify as this encourages more to do the same in the future. It sucks....but we should do it for the horses.

Not sure if I will go so far as to say applaud them but I know what you mean. :) I do think we need to appreciate that they have the right to send their horses to auction as it is legal, and that if they send them with papers that is far better than sending them without them. When we crucify, we ensure they will never again send them with papers - something I'm sure we can all agree is the worst of the worst of options and outcomes for the horses!
Home of Kalaloch (Piaff PASB x Ahbliss), multiple US National Champion, multiple Regional Champion and Scottsdale Champion.
CA and SCID negative.