Photo

Selling my soul for vet bill...any takers?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
24 replies to this topic

#11 Mason Arabians

Mason Arabians

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,342 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 07:01 PM

where are you located-?-we are loaded with ticks here and alot of lime-desease- and west-nile is just starting early also- i hope you have some answers soon and there both ok

#12 Runswithhorses

Runswithhorses

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 438 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 07:46 PM

Been there...had a mare run up a $3,000+ bill a few years back over a colick. Didn't need surgery, but had round the clock care at the university for 3 days. Still paying off credit card.
Government is not the answer, it is the problem.

#13 copperview

copperview

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,152 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 10:14 AM

I just got over half my last vet bill paid off ($1500, thank God my vet takes payments) and now I will have a new bill...not for just one horse but for two.

Summer has finally arrived here in Oregon...we've had 8 days of 80 degree weather with no rain. My mare gets plenty of fresh water as her bucket is dumped and rinsed twice a day. Last night she seemed a bit quiet but I figured she was just tired from not laying down. She likes a deep bed and her shavings were getting low as I wanted to strip her stall today.

Today I spent three hours with her, her head hanging low as she walked next to me as I did the chores. I double bedded her stall and when I bought her in, she sighed and laid right down. She's not colicky, she doesn't have a fever, she's not off her feed...she just seems tired. I talked to the vet and he said she just sounds like she's tired and hot but to keep an eye on her.

Fast forward 45 minutes. I've worked my gelding and taken him out for some hand grazing. As we walk back to the barn, his hind end goes completely limp and he ends up sitting down like a donkey. I get him up and he's ouchy. I turn him out in the round pen to keep and eye on him and notice a lump on his left hip.

So I call the vet again. He's coming out to xray him and take blood from both of them. I'm guessing my bill will be at least $1000. I'm very hopeful that the rest of the year will be vet free. In the mean time, anyone have any ideas on how to make extra cash...short of selling my soul :-p

Get her checked for potamic...just in case

Home of:Tune of Kadron-Kaseyn and CV Maranello GoldRush

Kaseyn is 76.375% CMK Stallion SCID Clear
Scoring 79.9% Sport Horse In-hand/Approved American Warmblood/WBFSH Stallion
Reining Points Winner/ 3rd in USEF 2013 Arabian Reining Region X
AHA Sweepstakes Nominated Sire

CV Maranello GoldRush is 3/4 Arabian PHBA AWS
2011 Gold Medal Winner First Nationally For American Warmblood Society
American Warmblood Breeding Stallion Service Auction

Posted Image

#14 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,009 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 11:05 AM

Any news ?

#15 BFF

BFF

Advanced Member

• ABN Supporter
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,709 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 11:21 AM

My ex-husband is soul-less, and has more money then he knows what to do with...........................

:little_devil_blinks: :little_devil_blinks: :little_devil_blinks:

Bonn-Fyre Farms/Training Center home to- 2014 Region II Champion Stallion SHIH, PACIFIC SLOPE TOP FIVE  STALLION 2014, Region II Top Five Stallion 2014 Pure Polish- Elikzir (Ganges x Ularia),

7 Time U.S. National Top Ten Stallion LA LegacyInBlack+++//,

U;S. National Champion Stallion H/A SHIH- The Terminatorr+(Azh Naborr x L'argent- German Verband Hanoverian) 

https://www.facebook...571022559602050

#16 Stanislav

Stanislav

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,339 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 11:41 AM

Just put down a $3000 deposit for an emergency surgery for my dog. I hope she can pull through! I am now $6K plus into various vets since the first of the year. Want a kidney?

#17 nashfad

nashfad

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 512 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 11:46 AM

You know, guys, I love my horses, dogs, and cats but when it comes to spending thousands on them to maintain thweir lives and making me sooooooooooooo into debt, I have to make a decision from my brain not my heart.

#18 Pheobe

Pheobe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 810 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 12:49 PM

They are doing fine today, he's still a bit sore in his hind end. I'm wondering if he made his mother mad and she kicked him.

I'm hoping she was just hot and tired. She was peppy last night and this morning. I haven't heard back from the vet yet so I'm hoping their blood tests are all normal.

As for the money, if the results come back and my gelding will never be sound, hard as it may be, I would put him down. My mare I have had for over 20 years. I'd sell my kidney if she needed me to. There are some things I won't put her thru, like colic surgery, but as long as its something I can fix without overly stressing her, I will see it done.

#19 gemtri jane

gemtri jane

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 628 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 01:20 PM

My neighbor called to tell me that one of my horses was down. Apparently one of them had been laying in the bush, flat out. He had noted this and then became concerned and went over to see what was going on. The horse wouldn't move, wouldn't get up and wouldn't even lift up her head regardless of how much he tried to arrouse her. Fast forward to my arrival in the pasture ..... to see all of the horses on the deadrun toward me. I was checking them over when he arrived. I couldn't see anything wrong with any of them so I asked him which horse he had been laying in the bush. His response was "UHH I don't know what to say". Apparently it was the filly that had been flat out in the trees. When she heard my vehicle start up, she got up. And by the time that I turned into the barnyard, she had let loose a few cowkicks at him and took off on the deadrun to meet me at the gate. I think that sometimes they just get bothered by weather or heat or what have you and after the stressor is over, they want a nap. I sure hope that is the case with your mare.

#20 DesignerLabel

DesignerLabel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 05:11 AM

Although in my mind 80 degree weather isn't hot (I'm trying to get used to 100+) it may be a change for your mare. The oldsters just don't regulate their body heat as well as a younger horse. Could you keep a fan on her during the hottest part of the day? Some electrolytes may no be a bad idea either, just as a precaution.

During our horrible summer last year, I noticed my old mare would stand out in the sun when she had plenty of shade available, which just wasn't like her. She really suffered last summer, the heat causing so much stress to her that she had a major laminitis attack. I brought her in during the day with fans, fed electrolytes, and turned out at night, when it would cool down to 95 or so :(.

I was never able to control her laminitis after that, and I lost her last winter.

Liz