Photo

Selling my soul for vet bill...any takers?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
24 replies to this topic

#1 Pheobe

Pheobe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 809 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 12:00 PM

I just got over half my last vet bill paid off ($1500, thank God my vet takes payments) and now I will have a new bill...not for just one horse but for two.

Summer has finally arrived here in Oregon...we've had 8 days of 80 degree weather with no rain. My mare gets plenty of fresh water as her bucket is dumped and rinsed twice a day. Last night she seemed a bit quiet but I figured she was just tired from not laying down. She likes a deep bed and her shavings were getting low as I wanted to strip her stall today.

Today I spent three hours with her, her head hanging low as she walked next to me as I did the chores. I double bedded her stall and when I bought her in, she sighed and laid right down. She's not colicky, she doesn't have a fever, she's not off her feed...she just seems tired. I talked to the vet and he said she just sounds like she's tired and hot but to keep an eye on her.

Fast forward 45 minutes. I've worked my gelding and taken him out for some hand grazing. As we walk back to the barn, his hind end goes completely limp and he ends up sitting down like a donkey. I get him up and he's ouchy. I turn him out in the round pen to keep and eye on him and notice a lump on his left hip.

So I call the vet again. He's coming out to xray him and take blood from both of them. I'm guessing my bill will be at least $1000. I'm very hopeful that the rest of the year will be vet free. In the mean time, anyone have any ideas on how to make extra cash...short of selling my soul :-p

#2 KL Phoenix

KL Phoenix

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,313 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 12:12 PM

Ugh! Hang in there. Seems like when it rains it pours with vet bills.

#3 kathy s.

kathy s.

Advanced Member

• ABN Supporter
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,304 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 12:33 PM

Maybe go through your closets, tack truck, etc. and sell any extra stuff you may have. If your a good cook, I see a few CL ads from people that earn extra money by offering casseroles, cakes, and breads for parties, family meals, and office functions.
I hope your horses are ok and will say a prayer the bills are affordable.
Kathy
We can't afford a government so indifferent to the people it pretends to serve

Posted Image

Posted Image Copyright 2011

Posted Image

Home of Independence Dey (America V+ (x Huckleberry Bey+++) x Sa-Abbi (x Bay-Abi++))

#4 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,006 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 12:37 PM

Sorry to hear your struggles. Hope you and your crew make it through with nothing to very serious.
Laura

#5 nashfad

nashfad

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 506 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 01:16 PM

Keep us posted. How is the mare now?

#6 dowedoit

dowedoit

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,952 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 01:17 PM

I can relate - set appointment for last Friday for one of my dogs to have his teeth cleaned. I knew it required sedation and would cost a bit - cost $294. One of my mares had come up lame last week and when no improvement after a few days of bute, had to have he vet out to see what was going on - laminitis; thankfully x-rays show only 5 degrees rotation and it may be from past (before I got her) as she is more lame in the opposite foot with no rotation. While we were waiting the development of x-rays, I look over at my TB gelding who was having a tizzy fit becuase something was going on, is doing the major head bob that goes hand and hand with dead lame. Three animals in one day - definetely poured here last Friday (which was also my son's birthday!).
Home of Kalaloch (Piaff PASB x Ahbliss), multiple US National Champion, multiple Regional Champion and Scottsdale Champion.
CA and SCID negative.

#7 kathy s.

kathy s.

Advanced Member

• ABN Supporter
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,304 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 01:26 PM

I can relate - set appointment for last Friday for one of my dogs to have his teeth cleaned. I knew it required sedation and would cost a bit - cost $294. One of my mares had come up lame last week and when no improvement after a few days of bute, had to have he vet out to see what was going on - laminitis; thankfully x-rays show only 5 degrees rotation and it may be from past (before I got her) as she is more lame in the opposite foot with no rotation. While we were waiting the development of x-rays, I look over at my TB gelding who was having a tizzy fit becuase something was going on, is doing the major head bob that goes hand and hand with dead lame. Three animals in one day - definetely poured here last Friday (which was also my son's birthday!).

Hope everyone gets well soon. Btw, I've been told that a glass of wine really helps put things in a different perspective ;) .
Kathy
We can't afford a government so indifferent to the people it pretends to serve

Posted Image

Posted Image Copyright 2011

Posted Image

Home of Independence Dey (America V+ (x Huckleberry Bey+++) x Sa-Abbi (x Bay-Abi++))

#8 Pheobe

Pheobe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 809 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 03:06 PM

She's still being quiet...he couldn't see anything visably wrong with her. I will know within the next 48 hours if she needs to go on antibiotics. He said that I should just remind myself that she's 24 now and her age may just be catching up with her.

He's fine body wise...is on bute for the swelling. Didn't break/fracture/dislocate anything, just swelled up a little bit. I'll get his blood results when I get hers. He said it could be thay he's growing, again, which just makes him clumbsy, or it could be something pretty bad. He's currently walking like an old man, which at not even 4, is really worrying the vet.

I'm beat. I always assume the worst so I'm stressed a lot. I can't lose either of them and I'm really not ready for her age to catch up with her yet. I'm going to head up there again tonight, around 9 to check on them again.

I'm really hoping its nothing.

#9 Oak Lawn Arabians

Oak Lawn Arabians

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,435 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 05:03 PM

I can relate. Just forked out about $800 for gelding 3 colts. They are much happier but my pockets are a lot lighter. :)

Do you think your boy tied up behind?? <cramp> That would make sense on a hot day right after working and the lump could be the damaged muscle. Hope they both feel better soon!!!

Oak Lawn Arabians
Carrie and Alex Stewart
Home of CT Saint Patrick, Dancin InThe Sand AND Beaudacious Boogie OLA, 2009 Region 15 Top 5 SHIH Mares ATH Open
"Using Bloodlines of the Past, To Create Beautiful Athletes of the Future!"

#10 arabsRgreat

arabsRgreat

Advanced Member

• ABN Supporter
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,442 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 05:06 PM

Could they have gotten into some poison?