Photo

Performing Your Own Vet Work

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
52 replies to this topic

#1 ArabHrsLvr

ArabHrsLvr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,344 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 01:58 PM

Found this thread on another forum...I was shocked! People are gelding their own colts and then some! :blink:

http://www.horsegroo...ork-474652.html

#2 arabsRgreat

arabsRgreat

Advanced Member

• ABN Supporter
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,200 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 02:05 PM

I for one, would not be interested in selling these people a horse!

#3 Stanislav

Stanislav

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,268 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 02:16 PM

Wow. Gelding a horse without a vet, no thanks! My boys took two skilled vets and 3x the normal amount of sedatives to get and keep them down, I couldn't imagine trying to do them in a set of stocks...I would guess a vet would have had to have given them Ace/Torb, etc to sedate them?

That said, I am a vet tech for another vet, so I am comfortable to with vaccinating, minor sutures, IV or IM injections, and wound care and my large animal vet is comfortable with my health protocols and decisions. I keep a good relationship with my vet. She comes out for my coggins, rabies and health certificates annually, plus any emergencies. I lucked out the last few years, but I am making up for it in 2012. I have had three emergency visit this year:(

My vet always says she will be right down as soon she realizes it is me on the other side of the phone, because she knows I can tell the difference between emergency and not.I

#4 krissylekrix2001

krissylekrix2001

Advanced Member

• ABN Supporter
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,397 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 02:29 PM

gah. irresponsible.

#5 ladycascabel

ladycascabel

Advanced Member

• Silver Sponsor
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,620 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 02:40 PM

Not too long ago it was very common for non-vet people to geld colts. It isn't rocket science (you do have to know how far up the cord to cut!) but if something goes wrong (hernia, cryptorchid, etc.) it's best to have a professional on the job. Thank heavens for modern anaesthesia!
I have been taught by two vets the proper procedures to geld a colt either standing or lying down but you can bet I am happy to leave that chore to someone else. It's bad enough that I have to castrate our bull calves (a much simpler operation).

Mary Logan

www.cascabelranch.com

Proud of our family of working western athletes: Arabians, Half-arabs, National Foundation Quarter Horses.
Producers of all-natural grass-fed beef.

The Arabian and Half-arab Fam:

TS Paarden Mia chestnut purebred mare
HAA Marco Rojo chestnut Classical Spanish gelding
SA Firefoxx chestnut purebred gelding
OFW Carnation bay purebred mare
Baileys Khaffe Latte buckskin HA gelding
Skyy RPA amber champagne HA mare
Goldenseal MSL palomino HA gelding
Tenebria MSL black HA filly SOLD

#6 Dreamcatcher

Dreamcatcher

Advanced Member

• ABN Supporter
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,247 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 02:47 PM

It costs me around $125 to have a colt gelded. And that includes an overnight stay in the hospital for him. For that amount of money, they can do it. Last time I had a vet out to the farm and I 'assisted', I turned green and nearly fell out when he cut the sac. Yeah, I'm soooo not into that!

I do give all my own vaccines, can do IV injections when needed and do a lot of my own wound care but I have not gone to school for all the years a vet has, I don't have experience on a bajillion other horses than my own and if I ran into trouble, that's exactly what it would be TROUBLE because I'd have no idea what to do in a wierd situation. The vet is worth every dime I pay him!

Pat Lowe

#7 Marketing

Marketing

Heidi

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,043 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 03:20 PM

I do a lot of the farms vet work but no way am I gelding anything.

Posted Image

Copyright 2010

Heidi

TripleHfarm

BINT SAFIERA 2000 Bay mare
SHAMS EL BINA 2002 Bay mare
NAKHDA AL SHAIB 2004 Grey Gelding<---- AL
SIHR JAWHER 2006 Bay Stallion
NADEERAH ALIAH 2006 Bay mare
ZAHRAN HAMRAH 2006 Grey mare
IMANA 2006 bay mare
MALIK AL AASIF 2007 Grey Colt
AL RAZEEL 2010 Chestnut colt for sale
SKYLER the 1/2 Arabian pinto wonder horse

We reserve the banners in signatures for ABN's paying banner sponsors. We'd love to have you join sponsoring ABN in the coming year.

#8 windyacres

windyacres

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 728 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 03:50 PM

When my sister was in high school,she dated a Vet's son. He told her about a young man that ride with his father when his father gelded colts. This young man's family owned a lot of grades horses, that included 6 yearling colts. Well, after one afternoon of riding with the Vet, he dediced he knew enough to geld his family's 6 colts. So, he did,gelded all 6 of those colts and all of them survived with no problems!!! The vet couldn't believe it! I've seen many colts gelded, nothing I woulld ever attempt on my own. However, my sister used to castrate the barn cats!

#9 ladycascabel

ladycascabel

Advanced Member

• Silver Sponsor
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,620 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 03:59 PM

Me-ow!!

Mary Logan

www.cascabelranch.com

Proud of our family of working western athletes: Arabians, Half-arabs, National Foundation Quarter Horses.
Producers of all-natural grass-fed beef.

The Arabian and Half-arab Fam:

TS Paarden Mia chestnut purebred mare
HAA Marco Rojo chestnut Classical Spanish gelding
SA Firefoxx chestnut purebred gelding
OFW Carnation bay purebred mare
Baileys Khaffe Latte buckskin HA gelding
Skyy RPA amber champagne HA mare
Goldenseal MSL palomino HA gelding
Tenebria MSL black HA filly SOLD

#10 stace

stace

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 255 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 04:10 PM

I heard of a local man who wanted to geld his horse cheaply and sent his horse down the road to someone or other. Worked out fine until infection set in and the horse had a massive swelling. Pulled the stitching and...um, well it got gross from there. From what I remember the person doing it cut too deeply, infected the area and....boom, something like that. The repair job was far too devastating and the horse was put down.

We do have some old timers up here, well into their seventies to nineties, that have been gelding their own boys since the 50s. They only do their family horses but no problems that way. I just can't see me castrating anything...

well, except when a boyfriend really sets me off and I want to daydream about the idea of cutting off their gonads :P
~~Stace~~
~~Skye Angel (LMA Prospector x GA Scarlet Angel) '97 Bay Purebred, 2006 Region 18 Champ Native Costume ATR, AHAEC Hi-Point Native Costume. In foal to FSF Jesse James for a 2013 Baby!
~~Nikita Angel RLSA (SFA Magnus x Skye Angel) '05 Grey Purebred, shown Native Costume & Sporthorse~