Photo

I now understand....

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
34 replies to this topic

#1 Bruce's Tack Box

Bruce's Tack Box

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 321 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 01:28 PM

I now understand why the big farms pull papers and send their horses through the sale. I am not saying that I agree with them or would do it but I now understand. In the last 15 years, we have saved many horses. I do not keep them all but do find them good homes. I have pulled a lot of horses from the killers and rehomed them with wonderful results. With being professionals in the industry, my husband and I are offered a lot of free or really cheap horses. We have taken atleast six or so in the last two years. Four that I can think of off the top of my head, have been rehomed with wonderful people. I have kept one as a trail/show horse for myself and am in the process of rehoming another.

Now I am being trashed for this horse that I am trying to rehome. I had found a great gelding that I think would have fit in nicely here (as a permanent fixture) and the person who was giving him away was told all kinds of terrible things about me. The gelding that I am rehoming was a stud and RUNS his pasture all the time. He can't have a buddy in his current lot and is not happy. I have been honest about him. He is eating me out of house and home and needs a different environment. The problem is that NO ONE WANTS THIS HORSE. He has lameness issues and stud issues. His previous owner was going to put him down and I took a chance on him. I made a comment that maybe I should put him down and GOT BLASTED. So what am I supposed to do with him? Rescues don't call you back, apparently I shouldn't put him down, NO ONE WANTS HIM, can't keep him.....

Sadly it is the last time that I will rescue an Arab! With this kind of response, I will have to turn the other cheek.

Thanks for letting me vent!

#2 OHR

OHR

Advanced Member

• ABN Supporter
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,717 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 02:01 PM

Your horse, your call. If you think putting him down is best, then that's what you should do.

He has lameness issues and stud issues.

This doesn't give him a very good prognosis for becoming a useful citizen, and there are thousands more to take his place. Save what you can, and move on.....

Cat Dancing (HA)
MJ Khontessa
Blu Khrystal Pistol
 SC Khemero

#3 Mystic Rose

Mystic Rose

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,390 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 02:10 PM

What OHR said, if you have given him a reasonable chance, and know that he has issues that are not really solvable - euthanasia is not a bad thing. I'm sorry you got bashed for that thought - it would be mine as well. I've seen your ads trying to rehome him, you have tried. You can't go broke saving the less savable.

Jennifer Whittaker
http://www.MysticRoseArabians.com or find us on FB under Mystic Rose Arabians
Home of: Summer Saga+ (Massar El Sabbah x Summer Savannah) - proven high mileage endurance stallion and SHIH Champion.
SHN Payback Nominated, SCID and CA negative.  Sire of Regional Champions in Endurance/SHIH/SHUS and winning open dressage horses!

#4 SWells

SWells

Sapphire Farms

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,388 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 02:54 PM

Instead of trashing you, the former "owner" should welcome their horse back with open arms...they need to put up or shut up!

At least you TRIED...

Sue Wells
Sapphire Farms

Posted Image

Visit us on the web!

#5 ladycascabel

ladycascabel

Advanced Member

• Silver Sponsor
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,834 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 03:07 PM

I am in complete sympathy for your situation but do not see how it relates to the behavior of big farms who overbreed and then send the resulting castoffs to the sale without papers. Every horse deserves to have its heritage travel with it.

Don't let your experience make you bitter, just consider the source of the criticism against you. As the famous saying goes, "Don't let the (offspring of unmarried parents) grind you down".

I'm sure if you need funds to help you euthanize this poor guy, if that is the best decision for him, ABN will help out.

Mary Logan

www.cascabelranch.com

Proud of our family of working western athletes: Arabians, Half-arabs, National Foundation Quarter Horses.
Producers of all-natural grass-fed beef.

The Arabian and Half-arab Fam:

TS Paarden Mia chestnut purebred mare
HAA Marco Rojo chestnut Classical Spanish gelding
SA Firefoxx chestnut purebred gelding
OFW Carnation bay purebred mare
Skyy RPA amber champagne HA mare
Goldenseal MSL palomino HA gelding

besttext2.jpg

#6 KL Phoenix

KL Phoenix

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,313 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 03:11 PM

I now understand why the big farms pull papers and send their horses through the sale. I am not saying that I agree with them or would do it but I now understand. In the last 15 years, we have saved many horses. I do not keep them all but do find them good homes. I have pulled a lot of horses from the killers and rehomed them with wonderful results. With being professionals in the industry, my husband and I are offered a lot of free or really cheap horses. We have taken atleast six or so in the last two years. Four that I can think of off the top of my head, have been rehomed with wonderful people. I have kept one as a trail/show horse for myself and am in the process of rehoming another.

Now I am being trashed for this horse that I am trying to rehome. I had found a great gelding that I think would have fit in nicely here (as a permanent fixture) and the person who was giving him away was told all kinds of terrible things about me. The gelding that I am rehoming was a stud and RUNS his pasture all the time. He can't have a buddy in his current lot and is not happy. I have been honest about him. He is eating me out of house and home and needs a different environment. The problem is that NO ONE WANTS THIS HORSE. He has lameness issues and stud issues. His previous owner was going to put him down and I took a chance on him. I made a comment that maybe I should put him down and GOT BLASTED. So what am I supposed to do with him? Rescues don't call you back, apparently I shouldn't put him down, NO ONE WANTS HIM, can't keep him.....

Sadly it is the last time that I will rescue an Arab! With this kind of response, I will have to turn the other cheek.

Thanks for letting me vent!

Tell people to put up (come and get him) or shutup (mind their own business). If you don't have the extra cash to take care of him, and you've tried tk find him a home, then humane euthanasia is a better end than being dumped at auction or given to morons.

#7 dowedoit

dowedoit

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,422 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 03:23 PM

Put him down. Nevermind the people voicing their opinion - they are doing it for their benefit, not the horse's. If they want to come pick him up, then let him go. Otherwise put him down and ignore other people's opinions. I know easier said then done, but, like someone else posted above, I have seen your ads here trying to find him a new home. Thus, the evidence is present. Someone is simply trying to change facts or is trying to guilt you into doing what they want you to do, regardless of what is right for you. I am sure you are well beyond needing someone to tell you what to do and how to do it so just do what is right for you...
Home of Kalaloch (Piaff PASB x Ahbliss), multiple US National Champion, multiple Regional Champion and Scottsdale Champion.
CA and SCID negative.

#8 BFF

BFF

Advanced Member

• ABN Supporter
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,779 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 03:27 PM

You can not make everyone happy, that is just a fact of life. You should not make yourself crazy by trying to do so.

If someone wants to step up and take the horse then nothing is stopping them.

If not they need to put up or shut up.

Bottom line is it sounds like this was not one you should have intervened on. Hindsight is always perfect.
It does sound like putting him down is the best thing.

ADD: Hmmmm KL took the words right out of my mouth. This is not plagerism its psychic.
Perhaps KL is my long lost sister. Oh SIS I have a horse I need to send you!!! :D

Bonn-Fyre Farms/Training Center home to- Pure Polish- Elikzir (Ganges x Ularia) Three time U.S National Top Ten Stallion, 2014 Region II Champion Stallion SHIH, PACIFIC SLOPE TOP FIVE STALLION 2014, Region II Top Five Stallion 201,10 Time U.S. National Top Ten Stallion LA LegacyInBlack+++//,U;S. National Champion Stallion H/A SHIH- The Terminatorr+(Azh Naborr x L'argent- German Verband Hanoverian) <p>https://www.facebook...571022559602050

#9 KL Phoenix

KL Phoenix

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,313 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 03:41 PM

You can not make everyone happy, that is just a fact of life. You should not make yourself crazy by trying to do so.

If someone wants to step up and take the horse then nothing is stopping them.

If not they need to put up or shut up.

Bottom line is it sounds like this was not one you should have intervened on. Hindsight is always perfect.
It does sound like putting him down is the best thing.

ADD: Hmmmm KL took the words right out of my mouth. This is not plagerism its psychic.
Perhaps KL is my long lost sister. Oh SIS I have a horse I need to send you!!! :D

Haha BFF great minds think alike. As long as its the 2fs you can send it. Filly & Free hahaha :)

#10 kcofholt

kcofholt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 655 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 03:50 PM

Agree putting down seems like the best solution.
And about being "trashed".........
it means you have been noticed....congratulations & welcome to being "worthy" of being "trashed".

I've was frequently trashed by a neighbor (president of the arabian club) for lame sick horses.......gee they won National Top Tens in distance.....
so again..

people with brains get trashed by people without ;)
BRANDY SIOUX
"Champion Equine Athletes"
since 1967