Photo

BNT vs the average joe.

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
51 replies to this topic

#1 brandy120

brandy120

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 885 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 08:35 AM

It's time for my three year old to get an education. It's only natural to assume I want her to have the best start that will set the foundation for her future. I've been looking around here and found a few places that I like. I have a couple appointments to go watch some trainers today.

There is quite a huge price difference between my top three choices.

The first trainer is a girl her in town that seems really nice and like she really loves what she is doing. She doesn't have a fancy barn or fancy clients. She has gone to a lot of clinics and trains using natural horseman ship. When asked if she trains them to clip and tie her reply was " I'll work on what ever you want." Horse gets worked 5 days a week on a flex schedule.

The second trainer is possibly the biggest barn in my immediate area. This place has the works. You name it, they got it. Well not a pool, but everything a hunter jumper barn would have. They have a young horse program. They do everything from the ground up. The barn is very active in terms of showing. Plus as a bonus the owner is an Arabian judge and is willing to cross train for halter.

The second is double the price of the first. So my question is to you more experienced people at sending your horses out, is it worth the price to send your baby to a BNT. Do you get what you pay for when it comes to training? Is it like comparing Harvard to a CC? But then one could ask," is Harvard worth the money, or just give you bragging rights?" Anyway you get my point. Horse gets handled 7 days a week.

I'm also considering sending her to Dusty Morgan. She has a lot of experience with my baby's bloodlines so I think she has an advantage knowing how her little mind works. I think my horse could do very well in reining. She is built for speed and can turn on a dime. The only horse I've ever seen get as low as her is her mom.
The only reason I'm not sending her there is because she is far away. I'd like to be a part of her training.
Horse get's handled 5 days a week.

Thanks in advance.
Brandy

#2 liz

liz

Chief feeder and pooper scooper

• ABN Supporter
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,705 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 08:56 AM

A consideration to me would be.... what are you expecting this trainer to achieve with your youngster and in how much time ?.. If it's a trail safe mount , that's different than a foundation for a National competitor. Folks may disagree, but I believe it whole heartedly.
I use both types of trainers with satisfaction. Few complaints so far in the outcomes. And indeed... the price varies.

Vanilla Zip - Sire of Canadian/Sport Horse/Youth/US National Champion,  TT & Regional winners- 5 Nat WP TT winners in 2013
Faramond BPA (Versace) -  stallion   SOLD    5 National Top Tens in WP  

Summerwind Australian Shepherds -  No puppies available at the time...

#3 Kailicia'sGirl

Kailicia'sGirl

PGN Kailicia( Kaiyoum x PGN Solataire)

• ABN Supporter
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,787 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 09:03 AM

What are you planning on doing with the horse? Are you planning on showing or marketing her? I've used both types as well and I choose who the horse gets sent too based on what I plan on doing with the horse. If it's being started as a trail mount I can use a local guy. If I want it started for a discipline with a mind to either show or sell it I choose an Arabian trainer. I agree with Liz, the foundation for a National or Regional competitor is different than laying the foundation for a trail or home horse. So in my opinion and experience it depends what you plan on doing with the horse.

Penny Lane Arabians
Stallions: U.S & CDN Res. National Champion Futurity Colt, Sol Debut (x Solstice) and Fazio (Eden C x Swanah). 

The Mares: Lady Versace (Versace), PGN Kailicia (Kaiyoum++), Swanah (Versace), FS Betty Grable (Padrons Psyche), Flames Rhapsody (Bask Flame), PGN Show NTell+ (Showkayce+), Showanna (Showkayce+), Star Of The Sshow (Showkayce+ x PGN Kailicia), Ezalia (Eden C x PGN Kailicia), Ellie Mae PF (Eden C), Sol Contessa (Sol Debut x FS Betty Grable),  Fly Girl (Phi Slama Jama) and My Queen, National Champion Baskskokhette+ (SV Basksko).

Due in 2014: Sol Debut x Flames Rhapsody, Sol Debut x PGN Show NTell+, Sol Debut x Baskskokhette+ and Sol Debut x FS Betty Grable. 

#4 brandy120

brandy120

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 885 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 09:16 AM

I really want her to be able to do both. I think she is a very beautiful and well put together horse. I bred her for the purpose of showing her. At my house you got to be more than a pretty face. She needs to be safe on the trail and in the barn with kids.

Do you think a horse can't be both?

#5 Kailicia'sGirl

Kailicia'sGirl

PGN Kailicia( Kaiyoum x PGN Solataire)

• ABN Supporter
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,787 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 09:28 AM

I really want her to be able to do both. I think she is a very beautiful and well put together horse. I bred her for the purpose of showing her. At my house you got to be more than a pretty face. She needs to be safe on the trail and in the barn with kids.

Do you think a horse can't be both?

Of course they can! :) Many of my own horses do both for our family. But in terms of training and wanting to show and build a capable foundation for showing your mare I would select an Arabian trainer first. That way a good foundation is laid for the mare to be able to show in the desired disciplines and do so competitively. You could also ask the Arabian trainer to take her out of the ring and give her some trail experience if available. If it isn't, for whatever reason, this can be done at a later time. But my suggestion for you is go with the Arabian trainer first, get a good foundation laid for the discipline(s) you plan on showing her in and when that is done you can expand her training and expose her to the trails.

Penny Lane Arabians
Stallions: U.S & CDN Res. National Champion Futurity Colt, Sol Debut (x Solstice) and Fazio (Eden C x Swanah). 

The Mares: Lady Versace (Versace), PGN Kailicia (Kaiyoum++), Swanah (Versace), FS Betty Grable (Padrons Psyche), Flames Rhapsody (Bask Flame), PGN Show NTell+ (Showkayce+), Showanna (Showkayce+), Star Of The Sshow (Showkayce+ x PGN Kailicia), Ezalia (Eden C x PGN Kailicia), Ellie Mae PF (Eden C), Sol Contessa (Sol Debut x FS Betty Grable),  Fly Girl (Phi Slama Jama) and My Queen, National Champion Baskskokhette+ (SV Basksko).

Due in 2014: Sol Debut x Flames Rhapsody, Sol Debut x PGN Show NTell+, Sol Debut x Baskskokhette+ and Sol Debut x FS Betty Grable. 

#6 ladycascabel

ladycascabel

Advanced Member

• Silver Sponsor
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,620 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 09:43 AM

To me, the first 90 days under saddle are so important. I would send my horse to the person who can spend the most one-on-one time with them and who is KIND and consistent in their program.
Get a feel for the horses in their barn. Are they happy? Do they react to approaching humans with their ears laid back? There are lots of subtle signs that can tell you whether or not a trainer's barn is the right place for your horse.
And be SURE to go check on your horse often while it is at the trainer's place. I can't stress that enough!!!

Mary Logan

www.cascabelranch.com

Proud of our family of working western athletes: Arabians, Half-arabs, National Foundation Quarter Horses.
Producers of all-natural grass-fed beef.

The Arabian and Half-arab Fam:

TS Paarden Mia chestnut purebred mare
HAA Marco Rojo chestnut Classical Spanish gelding
SA Firefoxx chestnut purebred gelding
OFW Carnation bay purebred mare
Baileys Khaffe Latte buckskin HA gelding
Skyy RPA amber champagne HA mare
Goldenseal MSL palomino HA gelding
Tenebria MSL black HA filly SOLD

#7 WanderingStar

WanderingStar

Advanced Member

• ABN Supporter
  • PipPipPip
  • 713 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 10:11 AM

Yes, a well-trained show horse can make a great home/trail horse. But not every well-trained trail horse will make a great show horse - especially on the regional or national level.

I've watched a regional-quality CEP prospect get turned into "nothing but a really nice trail horse" due to a very bad first 90 days. (actually seen this done many times)
I've brought home a Res. NC CEP horse and ridden him out on trails.

Generally speaking, if those are your showing goals, then it's worth it to spend the money for a better foundation.

I'm not trying to knock trail/home horses here. But what I've seen happen is the wrong trainer can put too much pressure on a young horse, and they will never be able to handle the pressure at a show.
The Daughter of Reason

#8 KL Phoenix

KL Phoenix

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,276 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 10:21 AM

Depends on what you want to do most. If you just want a safe mount that will get a good start under saddle then find the kindest person regardless pf price. The girl who can spend more 1 on 1 can probably give you more bang for your buck there. Make sure to check that she can walk the walk. Ask previous clients how their horse behaved under saddle after training. Were they amateur friendly?

If you want your horse to be a contendor for regionals/nationals I would go for the bigger barn because your horse will be exposed to more of a show environment. Lots of strange people and horses coming and going, a regimented conditioning program, possible shows/clinics on the property that will get her used to the show atmosphere so it's not such a big change from quiet barn to buzzing showground.

#9 Gogetter

Gogetter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,555 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 10:48 AM

What type of showing? I personally think my trainer in SoCal is one of the BEST in the business, from starting them to finishing them and getting them and their ammys paired up and prepped for the show ring. His staff is amazing, too. But this isn't the best time of year to take a youngster in to start because of the national shows coming up (if you go with an arab trainer who shows at those shows.) The best time for that is after U.S. Nationals.

Amy Johnson Proud owner of Carangi+/ (Versace X Giavanna)

2013 Region 2 UNANIMOUS Champ PB Hunter Pl AAOTR; Region 1 Champ PB Hunter Pl AAOTR; Youth National Top Ten PB Hunter Pleasure JTR 14-18
2012 U.S. National Top Ten PB Hunter Pleasure AAOTR 36-54; Region 2 Champ Hunter Pl. AATR 40+ and Hunter Pl. Open, Res Champ PB Hunter Pl. AAOTR; Region 1 Champion PB Hunter Pleasure AAOTR 40 and over, Reserve Champion PB Hunter Pleasure AATR 40 and over 2011 U.S. National Top Ten (third!) PB Hunter Pleasure AAOTR 36-54, Region 1 Champ PB Hunter AAOTR 40 and Over, Region 2 Reserve Champ PB Hunter AATR

#10 ladycascabel

ladycascabel

Advanced Member

• Silver Sponsor
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,620 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 10:53 AM

But this isn't the best time of year to take a youngster in to start because of the national shows coming up (if you go with an arab trainer who shows at those shows.) The best time for that is after U.S. Nationals.

Having made a mistake like this with the first horse I ever sent to a training barn (took the horse there a week before Scottsdale), I would highly recommend you heed this advice.

Mary Logan

www.cascabelranch.com

Proud of our family of working western athletes: Arabians, Half-arabs, National Foundation Quarter Horses.
Producers of all-natural grass-fed beef.

The Arabian and Half-arab Fam:

TS Paarden Mia chestnut purebred mare
HAA Marco Rojo chestnut Classical Spanish gelding
SA Firefoxx chestnut purebred gelding
OFW Carnation bay purebred mare
Baileys Khaffe Latte buckskin HA gelding
Skyy RPA amber champagne HA mare
Goldenseal MSL palomino HA gelding
Tenebria MSL black HA filly SOLD