Photo

Broken Horn Saddle?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
26 replies to this topic

#1 ArabHrsLvr

ArabHrsLvr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,344 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 08:42 AM

Looking for opinions on this saddle...I've been keeping my eyes open for a nice saddle to show Hula in, and I've found this one that I really like. The price is great too. Would this be fancy enough to show in? It is a used Broken Horn saddle....has some lightening of the leather color in spots, otherwise in great condition. What color would you call this saddle? (Thinking of finding matching tack) I can dye the leather in the spots where it's lightened....I do a lot of leather work with my Rhinestone Cowgirl business...so that's not a problem. I also have sterling silver covered stirrups that I would swap out.

Has anyone ridden in one? This one appears to be more like the other saddles I had looked at that I liked with a lower profile over the withers (like Tex Tan, Billy Royal), but I cannot afford one of those!

Opinions?

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#2 tuffyk

tuffyk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 08:59 AM

I've had a Broken Horn working saddle for over 30 years. It's the most comfortable saddle ever, except it's vey heavy. Fits every Arabian I ever had too. I would highly recommend it.

#3 siiamese

siiamese

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,369 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 09:02 AM

if I were shopping I would buy one with more silver
it needs the silver cantle plate & some on the front skirts

#4 ArabHrsLvr

ArabHrsLvr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,344 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 09:18 AM

I've had a Broken Horn working saddle for over 30 years. It's the most comfortable saddle ever, except it's vey heavy. Fits every Arabian I ever had too. I would highly recommend it.

Thank you!

if I were shopping I would buy one with more silver
it needs the silver cantle plate & some on the front skirts

I know...but the problem is my budget. :dry: I was thinking if I could get a higher quality used saddle that I could dress up a little...it's better than no show saddle at all.

I was thinking I would try to add more silver to those areas you mentioned and the horn...and as I said, I do have silver stirrups already that I would put on this saddle.

ETA: Broken Horn has the matching silver pieces for this saddle available for purchase.

#5 mhtokay

mhtokay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,408 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 09:32 AM

I have a Broken Horn that I bought for one of my short backed Arab mares. It's my favorite one to ride. it's very comfy. Broken Horn (not to be confused with Big Horn) is a higher quality saddle with a good reputation. Mine looks similar to this one, though lighter and has silver stirrups with it. It was sold to me as full QH bars, though it looks more like semi. Each saddle maker has their own specs. But I've used it successfully on each of the arabs and won't sell it because it's so short; I couldn't easily replace it.

#6 LaurieB

LaurieB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 793 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 09:54 AM

Broken Horn was my go to tack store because of the high quality work they do and the huge, two story selection of tack for nearly all disciplines. Had them make a reining saddle for me in '82,and a couple of clients had show saddles made. Mine is in excellent condition to this day and the hand stitched skirting is like new. Broken Horn did excellent work then and as they are still making custom saddles, I'm sure they still do excellent work. A good number of their clients are Arabian horse people so they do understand fitting our horses.They have top notch professional saddle departments/english and western both. Myself, I think most western show saddles dont have the proper center of balance for the rider/to far back, and I like having stirrups that hang in proper position. But most all western show saddle are designed this way and those are workable issues. If you want more silver, Broken Horn or another expert saddle maker could probably do a seamless job at adding some.
Laurie

Thank you!

I know...but the problem is my budget. :dry: I was thinking if I could get a higher quality used saddle that I could dress up a little...it's better than no show saddle at all.

I was thinking I would try to add more silver to those areas you mentioned and the horn...and as I said, I do have silver stirrups already that I would put on this saddle.

ETA: Broken Horn has the matching silver pieces for this saddle available for purchase.

we were typing at the same time! :)

......website is getting an update, check back in a day or two!.....
Original Horse Sculpture and Jewelry

Standing TR Prophecy, Straight Russian Stallion

#7 siiamese

siiamese

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,369 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 09:54 AM

I love the Broken Horn saddles for the "ride"
If they have matching silver to add at least to the cantle, go for it
I also prefer used saddles to the new ones - - I like mine broken in & not squeaky

#8 liz

liz

Chief feeder and pooper scooper

• ABN Supporter
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,702 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 11:14 AM

My daughters showed in their Broken Horn saddle for many years... their trainer loved it too, saying it was so comfy and fit all our horses. I still have it somewheres.

The amount of silver on the saddle will never change the quality of the ride or the horse.... always remember that.

Vanilla Zip - Sire of Canadian/Sport Horse/Youth/US National Champion,  TT & Regional winners- 5 Nat WP TT winners in 2013
Faramond BPA (Versace) -  stallion   SOLD    5 National Top Tens in WP  

Summerwind Australian Shepherds -  No puppies available at the time...

#9 ArabHrsLvr

ArabHrsLvr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,344 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 12:47 PM

I dug out my old silver stirrups and put a little silver polish on them...:)

Posted Image

#10 LaurieB

LaurieB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 793 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 12:53 PM

My daughters showed in their Broken Horn saddle for many years... their trainer loved it too, saying it was so comfy and fit all our horses. I still have it somewheres.

The amount of silver on the saddle will never change the quality of the ride or the horse.... always remember that.

I already reached my like quota...but yuppers, true dat and like this
Laurie

......website is getting an update, check back in a day or two!.....
Original Horse Sculpture and Jewelry

Standing TR Prophecy, Straight Russian Stallion