Photo

Interesting! Wonder if this will have any impact on Arabians?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
146 replies to this topic

#1 Dreamcatcher

Dreamcatcher

Advanced Member

• ABN Supporter
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,725 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 11:05 AM

http://www.aaep.org/...es_position.htm

I was especially interested to read the paragraph about the shoe packages.

Pat Lowe

#2 maryjo

maryjo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,658 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 11:17 AM

Yes, it could get interesting. Best to keep an eye on what defines a 'package'
MaryJo

#3 Ambar

Ambar

System Janitor

• Moderators
  • 514 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 11:29 AM

Performance packages (also called stacks or pads), made of plastic, leather, wood, rubber and combinations of these materials, are attached below the sole of the horse’s natural hoof and have a metal band that runs around the hoof wall to maintain them in place. Performance packages add weight to the horse’s foot, causing it to strike with more force and at an abnormal angle to the ground. They also facilitate the concealment of items that apply pressure to the sole of the horse’s hoof. Pressure from these hidden items produces pain in the hoof so that the horse lifts its feet faster and higher in an exaggerated gait.

Can't come too soon, I think.

"Each of us, no doubt, at one time or another has owned the best horse that ever looked through a bridle. I once owned a better one. Without taking time to prove it, I will simply admit it." -- Albert W Harris, "The Arabian Horse," The Horse, July-August 1944.

Ambar Arabians: http://ambararabians.com/

Member of International Arabians in Sport Association and California-Nevada Arabian Sport Horse Association

#4 hfs

hfs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,343 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 01:27 PM

Yesterday wouldn't be too soon... but don't you know *some people* will say 'but we're not TWHs, so none of this applies to us'.

#5 Desertwindtx

Desertwindtx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 618 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 01:51 PM

Fabulous! Right in line with any plans of mine for my horses. A coworker of mine breeds TWH, so we watch video now and again. Really disheartening.
Desert Wind Arabians, Kerens, Texas

#6 skymare

skymare

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 02:52 AM

i hope this means something. no first world country should still be allowing such practices. if this was being done to dogs I wonder what the outcry would be?
Breeder of Pure Crabbet Arabians.
Mill Park Anabella (Mill Park Amastar x Millbanda Bellalina)

Farnaway Golightly(pend) Colt by Senussi.

#7 VanAlma

VanAlma

Kate Smutnick

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,368 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 04:46 AM

Quoted from article: The United States Equestrian Federation (USEF), the national governing body for equestrian sport in the United States, disallows action devices in the show ring for all recognized national breed affiliates.

I didn't realize this. Saw plenty "packages" strapped onto horses in the English division at an AHA show.

#8 Dreamcatcher

Dreamcatcher

Advanced Member

• ABN Supporter
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,725 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 05:55 AM

I don't think the shoes are considered action devices, just the chains, bungees and that sort of thing. But if they start looking at how other breeds are shod, not just TWH that could change.

Pat Lowe

#9 dowedoit

dowedoit

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,749 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 06:33 AM

http://www.aaep.org/...es_position.htm

I was especially interested to read the paragraph about the shoe packages.

Hear, hear! to their statement. I particularly appreciate their position that this ban is necessary given that 40 years have passed since the passage of the Horse Protection Act with the TWH industry being unable to make substantial progress in eliminating these abusive practices. Clearly the industry is incapable of handling this issue on it's own. I am glad the AAEP and AVMA are willing to take such a strong stance regarding this abuse. And I do hope it filters into the Arabian industry.
Home of Kalaloch (Piaff PASB x Ahbliss), multiple US National Champion, multiple Regional Champion and Scottsdale Champion.
CA and SCID negative.

#10 BFF

BFF

Advanced Member

• ABN Supporter
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,868 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 06:46 AM

Hear, hear! to their statement. I particularly appreciate their position that this ban is necessary given that 40 years have passed since the passage of the Horse Protection Act with the TWH industry being unable to make substantial progress in eliminating these abusive practices. Clearly the industry is incapable of handling this issue on it's own. I am glad the AAEP and AVMA are willing to take such a strong stance regarding this abuse. And I do hope it filters into the Arabian industry.

Isn't it a sad state of affairs that its even ALLOWED on our Arabian horses.

For those that do not remember back in the 80's we were not even allowed a pad for therapeutic reasons. The Arabian Hunter/Jumper I showed (yes folks the Hunters back then actually went over fences) needed pads for a slight case of ringbone.
However no pads. So, we had to always pull his pads a few days before the show and put them on a few days after. He spent the majority of his career having that done. We also had a reasonable weight limit on shoes.

Then the powers that be (in those days that would have been LaCroixs and the biggies of the day) convinced IAHA that we had such huge Half Arabians that the shoes needed to be heavier -no matter what size the horse and we needed longer toes, and then came the pads and now we have the metal strapping.

I wonder what this strange affliction is of wanting to imitate Saddlebreds. Our breed was one that glided across the desert for miles and miles......not some strange Foot flinging up front and rear ends paddling about............ahh I digress.

I can not imagine an owner that would have their horses foot so out of balance so they can win a ribbon.
I just said to my farrier the day before yesterday, my horses start tripping when their feet get too long, and the Arabians I see in the English division start out there......... I would NEVER be ok with a shoe that needed to be strapped onto my horses foot UNLESS there was an honest to god medical reason to do it.

That's just me.

Bonn-Fyre Farms/Training Center home to- Pure Polish- Elikzir (Ganges x Ularia) Three time U.S National Top Ten Stallion, 2014 Region II Champion Stallion SHIH, PACIFIC SLOPE TOP FIVE STALLION 2014, Region II Top Five Stallion 201,10 Time U.S. National Top Ten Stallion LA LegacyInBlack+++//,U;S. National Champion Stallion H/A SHIH- The Terminatorr+(Azh Naborr x L'argent- German Verband Hanoverian) <p>https://www.facebook...571022559602050