Photo

Boarding - Need to Vent

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
29 replies to this topic

#1 Roze

Roze

Advanced Member

• Gold Sponsor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,211 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 03:53 PM

So I've owned horses locally for six years. For the last four and a half I was at one facility, things went pretty well up until the end and things suddenly went downhill. I was able to find a new place that seemed to be perfect. My horses settled in pretty quickly and I was finally getting into the routine of the new location. I come home today to find a notice that this facility will be closing at the end of the summer. I'm shocked and sick thinking about having to find another location for my horses. We have our house on the market and plan to get our own place, but can't until ours is sold. I just don't get why it seems so hard to find good boarding locations, does everyone else have these kind of troubles? I'm so disappointed. Thanks for letting me vent...

Roze Arabians Ltd.
Straight Egyptians, Straight Performance

Amer Azhaar
(Laheeb Al Nasser x Dorian Binthadidi)
2011 Straight Egyptian Stallion

Nile Roze+
(Ansata Nile Bay x LM Bint Fakher)
2001 Straight Egyptian Mare

Aroze to Nobility
(Aspecial Ali x Noble Karama)
2005 Straight Egyptian Gelding

Escapade SHF
(Scapa x The Aurora)
2009 Straight Egyptian Gelding

Mehdi Amir RZ
(Masada Mazal x Nile Roze+)
2013 Straight Egyptian Colt

www.RozeArabians.com

#2 siiamese

siiamese

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,737 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 04:03 PM

I would guess the horse boarding business is NOT a financially lucrative enterprise with the costs for feed/hay/bedding/maintenance and workers. Plus it is hard manual labor. Even the horse training business does not seem lik it would make much of an income with all the costs and extra trucks/trailers/tack/etc. one owuld need to have. And insurance for the humans and farms is likley quite high.
Do you know why your place is closing? ie, people are retiring, place is for sale, etc???

#3 Timberlace

Timberlace

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 660 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 04:07 PM

Sorry you are having so much trouble. But from the boarding and training point of view the profit margins are getting so small it is just about not worth the the trouble. Feed and hay just keeps going up and most clients are already close to their limits on the amount they can pay. I love what I do, but literally could clear more money working as a door greeter at wal-mart. I don't know the answers but I definitely know the questions.

#4 Hoofhaven

Hoofhaven

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,719 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 05:28 PM

It is extremely hard to make a living at it, people don't want to pay enough for stable owners to make money at it. Its physical and its stressful work. Same with training. I am closing my stable at the end of the summer too.

Hoof-Haven Equestrian Ltd.

www.hoof-haven.com

Posted Image

#5 siiamese

siiamese

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,737 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 06:20 PM

I think the other issue is that "farm land" is being taken up by more and more subdivisions or other buildings, etc. - so there are maybe less options for boarding than in the past. it seems like horses are becoming more and more an "elite" sort of hobby ....unless you can afford to own your own farm (and then YOU have all the upkeep, feed, maintenance, worker issues to deal with)

#6 windridge

windridge

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,108 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 06:39 PM

I will not take any boarders mostly due to the liability issues. I also do not let anyone else ride on my property, I really hate to be that way but even with a big liability policy I still worry if something would happen and someone would get seriously injured.
WR MEGA ROCK++/ multiple Regional Champion and all around good guy. AWA GLORIOUS+/ multiple Regional Champion and mult. SHN Top 10
JUSTADANCE+ Regional Champion and Canadian National Top 10, CA LAILAH- SHN Top 10
WR SHADDO HAWK- Multi Regional Champion and SHN Top 10 (3rd) SHIH
MAGNIFICO ZF- Regional Champion halter and SHN Reserve Champion SHIH yearling

#7 bigbird

bigbird

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 06:40 PM

So, listening to the frustrations from both sides..

What are you as a boarder paying, and what are the owners needing to get to keep in business?

The drought here last year turned all the "usuals" upside down. Feed and hay costs are higher than ever before.

What is the "average" boarding fee per month across this forum and what does it include? Would love to know as I'm considering adding "boarding" to help me pay some of my horse expenses this year.

#8 windridge

windridge

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,108 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 06:50 PM

I would say on average it costs me about $300 per month to keep a horse- but I feed good hay and Ultium/ Ultium growth. Also, there is no place to get bulk bedding so I have to used pellets at $7/bag. That is just basic care and does not include paying any outside help, taxes, maintainence, electricity, or insurance (I believe my liability policy is about $2000/yr and it is not a comercial policy).
WR MEGA ROCK++/ multiple Regional Champion and all around good guy. AWA GLORIOUS+/ multiple Regional Champion and mult. SHN Top 10
JUSTADANCE+ Regional Champion and Canadian National Top 10, CA LAILAH- SHN Top 10
WR SHADDO HAWK- Multi Regional Champion and SHN Top 10 (3rd) SHIH
MAGNIFICO ZF- Regional Champion halter and SHN Reserve Champion SHIH yearling

#9 Timberlace

Timberlace

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 660 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 07:07 PM

I charge $550 a month for my long time training horses (the ones that live with me all of the time) $650 a month for short term training horses. I am not interested in board horses as I am a control freak with my horses and ran a 30 stall board barn in the past. I feed 12% Nutrena prime, some kind of bagged alfalfa once a day and whatever coastal I can find once a day. I have one girl that works cleaning stalls 4 days a week. The help at horse shows is the owners, this is not a cater to you kind of barn. If anything goes up any more I am going to have to bump my fees again. Luckily my property is paid for and we are out of the city so taxes aren't too bad. Otherwise I couldn't keep my fees this low.

#10 windyacres

windyacres

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 729 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 04:00 AM

I would not board horses again. The last boarder I had, left me with his 6 horses!!! I now have 9 horses and a mini, all are mine,. I get my hay, very good hay, from a local farmer, in exchamge for him renting part of my land. I feed Nutrena Feed, and bed with wood pellets. I keep costs down by doing all my own work and I own my farm. I still have to have an equine liabilty insurance polciy, even tho I don't train, board or give lessons. It is pricey to own horses, but I wouldn't have it any other way. When I did board horses, I treated them like they were my own and bent over backwards for the owners. My boarders paid on time and I had few problems, until the economy took a dump!! Now, boarding hiorses is no longer an option, too much of a hassle.