Photo

How Do People Do It?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
161 replies to this topic

#121 arabsRgreat

arabsRgreat

Advanced Member

• ABN Supporter
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,400 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 07:13 AM

At least in the big picture this IS a short term problem since you have such a great job! You are so lucky even though this has been a bitter pill to swallow: in a matter of a short period of time (relatively speaking) you WILL be able to finance your dream!!

#122 KL Phoenix

KL Phoenix

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,303 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 08:52 AM

Don't feel embarrased! It's not your fault. I had planned to take Sassy to SHN this year, but then she got sick and stayed sick and then the husband wanted to do all these new things to the house and buy a truck etc. So this year nationals is out for us. I was all gung ho to go too and see everyone from ABN and show my horse. But what will be will be.

Next time!

#123 KMCnYellow

KMCnYellow

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 03:34 PM

I always like to think that things happen for a reason - and the fact that we just don't know why at the time sometimes is hard to deal with. You never know, maybe you were there to create the opportunity for the person who is purchasing him from you. Maybe this is their door, and the next door will be your door to open. I truly applaud you for being smart, even though it is so difficult. Don't be embarrassed, you are being wise beyond your years. Good things will happen for you, God will see to it if you just have faith.

#124 ArabHrsLvr

ArabHrsLvr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,360 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 05:04 PM

I always like to think that things happen for a reason - and the fact that we just don't know why at the time sometimes is hard to deal with. You never know, maybe you were there to create the opportunity for the person who is purchasing him from you. Maybe this is their door, and the next door will be your door to open. I truly applaud you for being smart, even though it is so difficult. Don't be embarrassed, you are being wise beyond your years. Good things will happen for you, God will see to it if you just have faith.

Thank you so much for the encouragement.

Posted Image

#125 karens

karens

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 549 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 05:57 PM

now matter how we 'do it', somehow fate steps in and changes things.... i had my year all planned. i had money set aside for the shows i wanted to do and our goal was regionals this year. april was an agonizing month, i lost my stallion. then a week later my husband's job became in danger. he works contract for the government and a new company took over that contract. he did not pass their physical and now in september will be without a job. immediately i put some horses up for sale and pulled dragon out of our planned shows. i pay ahead of time with my trainer, so he is still up there and paid for until the end of the month. some of the horses have sold, others i will have to make some hard choices with.

maybe a miracle will happen and they will let him re-take the physical now that he is on the proper BP meds, but i truly doubt it. so - 2012 is a bust and i will just save all the pennies i can for 2013. i am getting older and my true dream is to go back to pinto world and show there one more time. we had so much fun in 2009, i want to do it again before i hang it all up in the show ring.

i have no idea how i will do this yet, hubby's job puts a lot of money into the checkbooks. we are retirement age, so maybe the universe is just saying sell the stock and the farm and move to town. i am going to kick and claw to push that bad thought into future years. i am lucky that we have a few months to get things sorted out.

sheila - innishfael farm

As I read your story, I thought "Oh no! I'm just now getting retirement age, and ready to stay in the country and get into horses again!" I suppose it depends on the level of involvement, and goals, etc. I hope your husband stays well, and gets a good job again, and you guys get to keep enjoying your horses.

It's been interesting reading this whole thread. The whole training and showing world is so very expensive. It must be very exciting and rewarding. But it's not for everyone. I did a few local shows in my youth, but am not sure I will ever do any again, though there is a little thought to try smaller shows, for the experience for my horses. Different folks have different goals, aspirations, abilities, resources, and different things to make them contented. For me, I had lived without horses for over 15 years, thought I was "past that in my life", too old, etc. I am just overjoyed to have opened up another chapter in my life that includes horses! My goals are to get my horses trained, by learning myself how to do it, with some help, and we are making progress; to do some endurance riding; and maybe, we'll see, to breed my mares once, raise some babies, keep them, and that will be enough horses for me in my retirement years. Unless the winds of fortune blow my way and I have the resources to have bigger dreams. I have my limitations, financial and other, so am plugging away at the goal.

Sorry, this is a little rambling, just some of the thoughts that come to mind with this thread. It reminds me to be grateful for what I do have, and realize the unreached goals give me something to work toward, and that makes me happy. Hope we each can find that contentment in the journey, not just in the destination. I have a lot of joy at getting up each morning and going out to the barnyard gate and getting wet kisses from my horses muzzles, where they've been grazing in the dew-wet grass.

Thank you so much for the encouragement.

Posted Image

I can't figure out the multi quote thing.

I just went to an herb conference, and one class was all about cacao, or cocoa, chocolate. The teacher said that after water, chocolate may be the healthiest thing you can put in your mouth! It's full of health benefits, of course needs to be organic, non-dutched, so the dark chocolate kind. Eat lots!

#126 ArabHrsLvr

ArabHrsLvr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,360 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 06:22 PM

Karens...

You're very right. Yesterday I was playing with my little pinto mare Baylee, she's been home since January after spending some time at the trainers last year. I pulled her out of the pasture to hand graze her, and decided I'd try to jump on her bareback (have never ridden her bareback, and she's green broke...hasn't been ridden in 6 months). I hopped on without even a blink from her and just hung out on her back while she grazed. We walked around our property a bit. It was so good for my heart. She is such a loving mare, and will hang out up by the driveway while the other horses are out grazing. She just wants to be with you. It reminded me of how lucky I am to have my other horses...and to have ones I am bonded to and who love me back. They may only be pasture puff trail ponies, but I love em to pieces. Baylee is going to rock being a trail horse. She's fearless. I love her.

Posted Image
(From last year)

And then there's Hula...who I got in January. She's something special too...and also a lover. I am so lucky to have her.

Posted Image

And of course, my old man Zach...19 this year. My heart horse.

Posted Image

I have a lot to be thankful for.

(I eat lots of dark chocolate)

#127 Zoe

Zoe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,649 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 04:33 AM

Michaela, life sucks sometimes. Even the best of us get to find that out... but look at it like this: You've got this awesome horse (your dream horse, no less), a trainer that's willing to work with you, and many more years to do what you need (because we all know it's not a want lol) to do with him. He's well trained, but not only that- he's seasoned. He knows his job. It's up to you whether you decide to take him out of training (at $1,000 a month for one Class A show that would cost you maybe $3-400 to go to on your own?) BUT... What I'm getting at, is even if you have to take him out of training, it wouldn't kill him, and it would definitely help you. As far as your new dream job and all... Time just sucks. Let this be the year for you to get everything together, and next year be the year for you to go out and CLEAN HOUSE with that cool horse of yours. :)

--------------------------------------------------------------

"  Evil triumphs only when good men do nothing . . .  "

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#128 ArabHrsLvr

ArabHrsLvr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,360 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 05:01 AM

Michaela, life sucks sometimes. Even the best of us get to find that out... but look at it like this: You've got this awesome horse (your dream horse, no less), a trainer that's willing to work with you, and many more years to do what you need (because we all know it's not a want lol) to do with him. He's well trained, but not only that- he's seasoned. He knows his job. It's up to you whether you decide to take him out of training (at $1,000 a month for one Class A show that would cost you maybe $3-400 to go to on your own?) BUT... What I'm getting at, is even if you have to take him out of training, it wouldn't kill him, and it would definitely help you. As far as your new dream job and all... Time just sucks. Let this be the year for you to get everything together, and next year be the year for you to go out and CLEAN HOUSE with that cool horse of yours. :)

Zoe,

Cooper is already sold.

#129 Zoe

Zoe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,649 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 05:51 AM

Zoe,

Cooper is already sold.

x.O You need to call me, missy. I got a new phone a few days ago. I'll message you the number. :)

<---- Slow. lol

Oh no, girly. :( I just read. My stomach is churning, I'm so sick for you! <33 All this means is that there's a better plan for you, though. Love ya Michaela.

--------------------------------------------------------------

"  Evil triumphs only when good men do nothing . . .  "

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#130 kcranford

kcranford

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,708 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 07:14 AM

Karens...

You're very right. Yesterday I was playing with my little pinto mare Baylee, she's been home since January after spending some time at the trainers last year. I pulled her out of the pasture to hand graze her, and decided I'd try to jump on her bareback (have never ridden her bareback, and she's green broke...hasn't been ridden in 6 months). I hopped on without even a blink from her and just hung out on her back while she grazed. We walked around our property a bit. It was so good for my heart. She is such a loving mare, and will hang out up by the driveway while the other horses are out grazing. She just wants to be with you. It reminded me of how lucky I am to have my other horses...and to have ones I am bonded to and who love me back. They may only be pasture puff trail ponies, but I love em to pieces. Baylee is going to rock being a trail horse. She's fearless. I love her.

Posted Image
(From last year)

And then there's Hula...who I got in January. She's something special too...and also a lover. I am so lucky to have her.

Posted Image

And of course, my old man Zach...19 this year. My heart horse.

Posted Image

I have a lot to be thankful for.

(I eat lots of dark chocolate)

How's Angus? I laughed at the previous photo where he was the dark "blip" far off in the pasture :happy:
RUSSKA FARMS, LLC
Arabian Show Horses
Dr. Russell & Kathy Cranford
"We were created by an Artist. We are meant to live beautifully every day."