Photo

Terrible Tragedy! We blame Animal Control...

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
34 replies to this topic

#31 Lynsong Acres

Lynsong Acres

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 06:19 PM

Thank you everyone for your kind words! She was a wonderful mare! I earned my very first Championship ribbon on her and we were really looking forward to our first trip to Regionals... she will be dearly missed!

I am now the proud owner of a single shot single action 20g shotgun - this is for the kiddo so she will have to be very careful when she aims or will need to reload... AND a Springfield 22cal rifle for me! (I'm a pretty fair shot) We'll be headed to the range tomorrow for target practice!

As for the bite... it didn't break the skin so no need for Doctors and they would not have to report it anyway.

I wish I could sue Animal Control/Sheriff's Dept for failing to do their duty, but I don't have the resources to take on "city hall" persay...

#32 Briska

Briska

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,362 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 06:32 PM

I don't even know if we had animal control when I was a kid...must have...but we were trained early to shoot first and bury the body later. Only one time did my dad give a pardon...poor little cocker spaniel someone had dropped off out in the middle of nowhere. Any other time, no such luck.

Word of caution. When you take care of business, DO NOT tell your neighbors you shot their dog! The old cow guy next to us caught the neighbors dog killing newborn calves, shot it and knocked on their door at 5 am as he left the body on the porch. For the next year his fences were cut and cattle out with regularity. Ditches work well...dogs get hit by cars all the time.
Be careful of the words you say, and keep them soft and sweet. For you never know, from time to time, which ones you'll have to eat.

Foals arriving in 2012 are also for sale
**Pentika V x Gotcha in April **RO Siena Sunshine x Gotcha in April **Falicity x Gotcha in May **RNT Pyrrunata x FSF Vintage Flyer in May

#33 carolyn thompson

carolyn thompson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,644 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 07:44 PM

We have spoken to both Animal Control and the Sheriff's Dept and their answer is "Sorry to hear that, if you catch them again we'll come get them, but we don't work on Sundays..." and the bite to my daughter did not break the skin so it was of no concern to them...

I spoke with an attorney and without an owner to sue (no one will admit to owning the dogs of course) there's really nothing we can do...

Rifle shopping!!

I love dogs and always have at least 2 or 3 but if a dog was attacking my horses, llamas or cattle they would be dead and left for the buzzards. If any of mine even think about chasing my animals they are called down very quickly. I just don't put up with agressive behavior.

We actually fed a buzzard with a broken wing older venison until it healed. I'm sorry I had to confess saving a buzzard. It just seems wrong somehow.

#34 kcofholt

kcofholt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 656 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 04:09 AM

I use a 22 rifle.... learned as a kid -
Years ago there was a free lecture for horse people from a lawyer....I asked & they also recommended to disposed of the body.

My good neighbor came over once & asked if "Fred" could come over to play one day....
I did ask if it was her husband ;) No a dog had twice attacked her kids on their swing set (kids climbed out of danger)
Well that evening she told her neighbor she was sorry the dog had been "hit" and she buried the body for them....they just assumed
he was "hit" on the highway...

I also had a neighbor inform me once my dog was after his chickens... I found the dog a new home.....so remember this does go both ways.

Rule #1 Human does not get hurt
Rule #2 Horse does not get hurt

Simple but has worked decades for me.
BRANDY SIOUX
"Champion Equine Athletes"
since 1967

#35 OHR

OHR

Advanced Member

• ABN Supporter
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,719 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 04:34 AM

We actually fed a buzzard with a broken wing older venison until it healed. I'm sorry I had to confess saving a buzzard. It just seems wrong somehow.

Nothing wrong with that. They DO serve a purpose.

Cat Dancing (HA)
MJ Khontessa
Blu Khrystal Pistol
 SC Khemero