Photo

Gaited Breeds

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
15 replies to this topic

#1 KnA

KnA

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 650 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 09:57 PM

I wasn't really sure where to post this topic so I apologize if it's in the wrong place :)

I guess I just need a quick vent for a moment... I know there are a number of people who have other breeds besides Arabians on here, I'm not sure how many have gaited breeds? I have a Missouri Fox Trotter mare that I've had for 2 years now, she was a rescue that just fell into my lap and I must admit I am very grateful for that. She was in really scary shape when I rescued her and after just a couple months of having her, she had to undergo colic surgery... that was a rough year for her. She is such a PHENOMENAL horse though! She is absolutely amazing at everything I ask her to do and she tries her little heart out for me with it all. We've shown a bit on the Fox Trotter circuit and she kicks some serious tail if I do say so myself :) . I've decided I would like to venture away from the Fox Trotter circuit though and it's quite the rude awakening! I've always thought the discrimination against Arabians was bad, Fox Trotters is a whole different level!! It's quite frustrating!

I would REALLY like to try jumping with her. She shows some serious talent just turned out in the field, I'm pretty sure I drool a little bit watching her. I've been taking jumping lessons with my Half-Arabian mare for a while now and a couple months ago I wanted to try my Fox Trotter mare and thought I would just rotate the horses every week. Well that did not go so well.. Charity (Fox Trotter) has never been ridden over jumps but she did alright I thought, just didn't know what was going on and what she was supposed to be doing. I'm sure there have been several other horses that were worse then her their first time attempting the jumps :) I was pretty disappointed in my trainer because she got frustrated with her, stopped our lesson about 20 minutes into it and pretty much told me not to bring her for lessons again, that she would not be a jumping horse. I've called other trainers since then and have received the same response from all of them... they won't work with her because she's gaited... I am really very disappointed to hear this from so many trainers, especially the ones that haven't even seen her yet. I don't think it matters at all if the horse is gaited or not, it's not like being gaited makes the horse broken or anything, which I am starting to think is the mentality of most people. I wish I knew more about jumping to at least get a start with her on my own before I can find a decent trainer to give us a chance.. I don't know that I really trust myself with that though :)
+Sometimes you've got to take a chance, You've got to risk losing it all, You've got to close your eyes and leap because it might be worth the fall.+

#2 Zoe

Zoe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,649 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 10:12 PM

Does she trot, or only rack?

If it's a case of racking, trainers probably turn her down because they simply don't have experience with gaited horses. Jumping is all about rhythm, and with a trainer that knows nothing of gaited horses and has no desire to learn, I imagine it seems like an impossible feat for them. *shrug*

When I was younger, I took care of a TWH gelding and we jumped the sky, but he had two buttons that I taught him- trot or "rack." When we jumped, I asked for the trot.

I don't really have any advice for you, other than why trainers may be turning your awesome girly down. :( Let us know if there are any new developments!

--------------------------------------------------------------

"  Evil triumphs only when good men do nothing . . .  "

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#3 zmokey

zmokey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 06:26 AM

Once upon a time, I was told it's a conformation thing. Gaited breeds tend to have a sloping croup and non-gaited don't. Since all horsepower orginates in the hindquarters , such activities as, quick starts and bigtime jumping isn't in the cards for a gaited horse. This is a power source thing. There was something about the angle of the hock that figured into the equation, but I don't recall particulars.

For the record, I own a bold, energetic, somewhat hot, TWH mare. She's better at long low jumps than high narrow obstacles. She's not very fast either. My little grade, timid, somewhat lazy Arab mare easily outdistances and out jumps the TWH at liberty.

I hope this helps.

#4 BFF

BFF

Advanced Member

• ABN Supporter
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,853 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 06:52 PM

I own a MFT.
I can not imgaine her jumping, or at least jumping well. I will add I used to show Hunters(over fences) and Jumpers.
Lord, her canter makes me feel like I am a boneless bobble head or a marionette with my puppateer on crack.

I suggest you try joining a gaited online group such as Yahoo and see if perhaps they can point you towards a trainer willing to work with you and your horse.

Bonn-Fyre Farms/Training Center home to- Pure Polish- Elikzir (Ganges x Ularia) Three time U.S National Top Ten Stallion, 2014 Region II Champion Stallion SHIH, PACIFIC SLOPE TOP FIVE STALLION 2014, Region II Top Five Stallion 201,10 Time U.S. National Top Ten Stallion LA LegacyInBlack+++//,U;S. National Champion Stallion H/A SHIH- The Terminatorr+(Azh Naborr x L'argent- German Verband Hanoverian) <p>https://www.facebook...571022559602050

#5 felina

felina

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,337 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 07:09 PM

I jumped a TWH pony in the past and did it a little redneck before I knew better (aka jumps balanced on buckets), but he was extremely athletic and more than capable.

However, I can see the rhythmic issues when jumping a gaited horse. In his case, he trotted and did a running walk and could go between the two. I know in TWH, they have versatility classes where I think jumping is a component. I think your best bet would to see if you can find such a trainer and see who they suggest.

I had a professor (die-hard Pony Clubber, etc) that swore up and down that anything gaited couldn't physically jump. So I printed off this (redneck) photo for him and he agreed that well, perhaps this pony could (also consider this TWH pony is barely 14 hands).

Posted Image
Look back on our struggle for freedom,
Trace our present day's strength to its source;
And you'll find that man's pathway to glory
Is strewn with the bones of a horse.
Anonymous

#6 KL Phoenix

KL Phoenix

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,315 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 02:58 PM

I own a MFT.
I can not imgaine her jumping, or at least jumping well. I will add I used to show Hunters(over fences) and Jumpers.
Lord, her canter makes me feel like I am a boneless bobble head or a marionette with my puppateer on crack.

I suggest you try joining a gaited online group such as Yahoo and see if perhaps they can point you towards a trainer willing to work with you and your horse.

Not to hijack the thread, but dang BFF how many horses do you have hahaha!

#7 Mystic Rose

Mystic Rose

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,395 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 04:58 PM

Well - I would guess that its because its hard to teach them to stride correctly between jumps' However - a friend of mine owned the National Champion Half Arabian Jumper a while back - Rose Hill Snofire+++/. He was an ASHA cross, and he would rack between jumps when he was excited. They couldn't show him hunter because of it, but it didn't make a bit of difference in his jumping ability. The trainer just had to learn to ride thru it.

Jennifer Whittaker
http://www.MysticRoseArabians.com or find us on FB under Mystic Rose Arabians
Home of: Summer Saga+ (Massar El Sabbah x Summer Savannah) - proven high mileage endurance stallion and SHIH Champion.
SHN Payback Nominated, SCID and CA negative.  Sire of Regional Champions in Endurance/SHIH/SHUS and winning open dressage horses!

#8 BFF

BFF

Advanced Member

• ABN Supporter
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,853 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 05:15 PM

Not to hijack the thread, but dang BFF how many horses do you have hahaha!

KL what are you doing here. :D

I absolutely refuse to count how many horses I have. I know its a lot less then I used to though.
Besides Half Arabians don't count as an entire horse.

Here is my MFT on Mounted Patrol in Malibu on the beach-(along with a Purebred mare I bred who is also a Mounted Patrol Horse. -Ambitshus sired by Ambitshun by Ariston out of a *Comet Daughter. Her dam was one of my Azh Naborr Daughters)
Whalefestival2011004 - Copy.JPG

Whalefestival2011004.JPG

Bonn-Fyre Farms/Training Center home to- Pure Polish- Elikzir (Ganges x Ularia) Three time U.S National Top Ten Stallion, 2014 Region II Champion Stallion SHIH, PACIFIC SLOPE TOP FIVE STALLION 2014, Region II Top Five Stallion 201,10 Time U.S. National Top Ten Stallion LA LegacyInBlack+++//,U;S. National Champion Stallion H/A SHIH- The Terminatorr+(Azh Naborr x L'argent- German Verband Hanoverian) <p>https://www.facebook...571022559602050

#9 nashfad

nashfad

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 515 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 08:19 PM

Gaited horses can jump. The TWH folks even have a Versatility Program and they have jumping classes. Mu friend Lisa, has competed her horse "Pete", a TWH, in oopen jumping competitions. So if a trainer doesn't want to work with yuo, find another trainer. Boo on that trainer for being narrow minded.

BFF, I love your MFT! So pretty!

#10 BFF

BFF

Advanced Member

• ABN Supporter
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,853 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 05:48 AM

Thanks Nashfad.
I am not fond of blue eyes on a horse, but it completely works with her!!!