Photo

Parelli

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
21 replies to this topic

#11 gemtri jane

gemtri jane

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 668 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 12:56 PM

I think that Parelli probably made some good coin by re-inventing the wheel and selling the gimmicks to go with it!! But ... as with all things, it has its place though. Personally I think that the usefulness of the Parelli program depends entirely on the needs of the owner and their horse. For example, I took a young horse to a 7 games clinic and it was very helpful for the horse and myself. We also took an older horse to the same clinic that day. The older horse dang near died of boredom. So it depends. Blindly following any one method or clinician isn't entirely a wise decision, if you ask me. I think it is better to use discretion and to approach methods with moderation and consideration for what is best for your horse and what you think is right. It seems to me that horsemanship is sort of an ecclectic thing - a collection of lots of information from lots of different sources, some of which is useful information and some not so much.

#12 greygelding

greygelding

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,984 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 01:26 PM

Thanks everyone. That's kind of what I figured. Mayo would be really peeved at me if I wasted perfectly good carrot money on that stuff. :lol: Although the magic tack sounds interesting from BFF. :lol: My games have names like carrot tag, carrot run, carrot jump (sense a theme here?) and of course the nightly "run for the grain". They are fun games and not really training games. They have a lot of freedom, like no-halter grooming, are allowed to play in the foot lockers, steal a carrot from my tack locker, etc. Mayo only wears a halter for baths and when other people are around. Shar and Aspen are loose for the evening goodies and Aspen is in the swing of things as she just follows me back to her corral totally loose. Some of my games would just terrify some people - if you have ever been tracked down by four high spirited Arabians loose in the arena, coming at you at full speed, with the carrot in your pocket on their mind - you get the picture. I'll have to get that on helmet cam for you. Maybe I could put that on DVD and sell it! Probably under the heading of DON'T try this at home. :lol:

Mike
http://greygelding.net/
He knows when you're happy, He knows when you're comfortable,
He knows when you're confident, And he always knows when you have carrots.
~Author Unknown
Posted Image CARROT PLEASE Posted Image

#13 OHR

OHR

Advanced Member

• ABN Supporter
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,717 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 02:52 PM

Mike, I think I like YOUR games a lot better than Parelli's

Cat Dancing (HA)
MJ Khontessa
Blu Khrystal Pistol
 SC Khemero

#14 skg1

skg1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,005 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 03:19 PM

Pls, don't waste your money. If you can ride your horse you are way ahead of them already!
KG
Proud Owner Of:

JMK Blue Bayou (Fun Valley Gusto x *Amira Bidiya)

Region 15 Top 5 Ladies Side Saddle

Aabsolut Flame SF (Aabsolut x EE Karmel)

Natalya TO (Sir Fames x Sol Natique)

#15 D_BaldStockings

D_BaldStockings

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 04:47 PM

Pls, don't waste your money. If you can ride your horse you are way ahead of them already!
KG

This.

While studying Parelli may be an education in marketing invisible clothes to the Emperor, if you are interested in equines, skip it.

#16 ladycascabel

ladycascabel

Advanced Member

• Silver Sponsor
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,834 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 10:26 PM

Mike, you and Pam and your horses deserve your OWN show on RFD-TV.
BFF, you echo my sentiments exactly about "Mr. P", though I doubt I could express them as brilliantly.
As for Linda P., I lost all respect for her when she told a hesitant student "when horses are trained with our methods, you don't NEED a helmet to ride one."

Mary Logan

www.cascabelranch.com

Proud of our family of working western athletes: Arabians, Half-arabs, National Foundation Quarter Horses.
Producers of all-natural grass-fed beef.

The Arabian and Half-arab Fam:

TS Paarden Mia chestnut purebred mare
HAA Marco Rojo chestnut Classical Spanish gelding
SA Firefoxx chestnut purebred gelding
OFW Carnation bay purebred mare
Skyy RPA amber champagne HA mare
Goldenseal MSL palomino HA gelding

besttext2.jpg

#17 Dreamcatcher

Dreamcatcher

Advanced Member

• ABN Supporter
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,601 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 04:56 AM

Mike, I LOVE Parelli and his games. For my foals. It gives us something to do while they are growing up and need to learn ground manners anyhow. I've never attended one of his clinics, though I do own a carrot stick. I've tried other versions of the carrot stick and I like his for balance and weight and sheer unbreakability. I have a tendency to leave my lunge whips laying around and .........SNAP........there goes another one. The carrot stick has made it through 5 years of abuse, so I like it. I like to play his 7 basic games with my horses, it helps me to focus, I'm more ADD than the youngest foal ever thought of being.

As for Mayo? Aspen? Shar? Not so much, I don't use them on the grown horses, we have riding to do. Like EVERY trainer, I think P has good and bad and, Like ALL the other NH trainers, one clinic is not going to cut it. There are some really good things in every program but you need to subscribe to ALL of the program to learn all the nuances and things they are teaching. To go to a clinic and go home and try some of the stuff you've seen in the round pen in their 2, 4, 6 hour or even 3 day clinics, can be incredibly dangerous because most folks who are trying that stuff untrained don't have a clue about pressure and release, reward, timing, etc, etc.

Oh and you're over 50, so you can't be a Parelli trainer. A friend of mine got caught up in all that Parelli stuff and studied up through every level and applied to the "University" so she could become a certified trainer. Because she took several years to work her way through the levels, videos, and all that, she had turned 50 right before she applied. She was magically, too old, to become certified. She is however, a H*LL of a horsewoman and riding any of her horses is pure JOY. So she's doing just fine anyhow.

Pat Lowe

#18 Lacinda

Lacinda

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,723 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 05:53 AM

Please don't try it, your way is fine Mike :)
Signature being edited, too large.

#19 saarabs

saarabs

Advanced Member

• ABN Supporter
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,755 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 07:14 AM

Mike, maybe you should be the one making money, and sell your methods. Your doing fine on your own!

Halim Bahim Star SE, Blue black Rabicano Gelding
Psyches Psyche SPA chestnut sabino gelding
Javalls Miracle- Pintabian Chestnut tobiano gelding

Serenity Acres Arabians

#20 greygelding

greygelding

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,984 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 07:50 AM

So now I'm wondering just what a carrot stick is? Mine are just a few inches long, come in a 25 lb bag, and are eaten. I might also have to take a look at the 7 games to see if there are any that I could adapt for my unusual crew.

Mike
http://greygelding.net/
He knows when you're happy, He knows when you're comfortable,
He knows when you're confident, And he always knows when you have carrots.
~Author Unknown
Posted Image CARROT PLEASE Posted Image