Photo

Goldenseal MSL---first horse show

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic

#1 ladycascabel

ladycascabel

Advanced Member

• Silver Sponsor
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,834 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 03:43 PM

I had been planning to attend a two-day open show in Carlsbad, NM this past weekend with my mare OFW Carnation. Wednesday afternoon I went out to clip her. When I was done, I took her to the round pen to free-lunge her before riding her and noticed that she was short-striding slightly on her right hind at the trot. A few strides at the canter (quickly halted) showed the same symptoms. She seemed to be a little puffy on the inside of her hock, probably as a result of stepping wrong when she was out playing with her friends the day before. A dose of Equioxx and a rubdown with liniment saw her slightly improved the next morning, but certainly not enough to show. I continued to treat her during the day but it was evident that showing that weekend was not in the cards. Even if she had been all better by Saturday I would have hesitated to stress her by riding her in any classes or even by showing her at halter.
Needless to say, I was depressed...I've already missed the first two open horse shows in the area this year. Then hubby says he wants to go to the show anyway, and he wants to take Trey (AKA Goldenseal MSL, my avatar horse) to see if he will make a "backup" show horse. I was a bit stunned at this suggestion (hubby normally does not like the show ring very much) but far be it from me to stifle his ambitions. So Trey (much to his surprise) got a quick clip job and went to Carlsbad to compete in a western pleasure walk-trot class! We've been using him strictly as a ranch gelding and this was his first time to town since coming home from getting broke to ride three years ago.
He handled everything beautifully!! I was so proud of him (and hubby, too, of course!). Even though they didn't ribbon, their performance was great to see. There were eleven horses in the class and some did not behave very well but Trey stayed steady and calm throughout. Here are some pics:

Watch out for that other yellow horse, he is not a happy camper!
Trey and Brant 2 042112.jpg

Yes, we can walk!
Trey and Brant 4 042112.jpg

In the lineup...that wasn't so bad!
Trey and Brant 1 042112.jpg

The judge did something I've not ever seen before in a performance class---she pulled horses off the rail, while they were still moving, to place them, like dog show judges do. Is this a new technique?

I am also happy to report that Carrie is much improved and SHOULD be ready to show the weekend of the 5th-6th!

Mary Logan

www.cascabelranch.com

Proud of our family of working western athletes: Arabians, Half-arabs, National Foundation Quarter Horses.
Producers of all-natural grass-fed beef.

The Arabian and Half-arab Fam:

TS Paarden Mia chestnut purebred mare
HAA Marco Rojo chestnut Classical Spanish gelding
SA Firefoxx chestnut purebred gelding
OFW Carnation bay purebred mare
Skyy RPA amber champagne HA mare
Goldenseal MSL palomino HA gelding

besttext2.jpg

#2 krissylekrix2001

krissylekrix2001

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,410 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 05:10 PM

I wanted to "like" this post but apparently I like too much around here and have reached my quota, lol.

Good job. :) Glad you guys got out there and glad to hear Carrie is doing better!

#3 brandy120

brandy120

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 927 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 05:36 PM

me too
Autism Rocks! and flips and flaps and squeaks and squeals and licks.

#4 lunalisa

lunalisa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,461 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 08:21 PM

How cool is that! Hubby showing and no silly/fancy saddle. You got a winner,IMHO.
Namaste, LunaLisa

#5 Mel Adjusted

Mel Adjusted

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,362 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 02:29 AM

Love it! Thanks for sharing! Nice horse too :)