Photo

New Mare, Rejected From The Sale, Anyone Want To Help?

We know who she is!!! update pg 5

• Please log in to reply
109 replies to this topic

#61 DejaVuToo

DejaVuToo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 04:36 PM

What a sweet face! So glad she's on the way to being healthy again. I love the old ladies (I have a 24 year old.) and if she needs a home, she can come live with us in Illinois. :) Good luck!

#62 hfs

hfs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,343 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 05:13 PM

Gail would have to chime in on that, but I suspect that she'd be available for adoption once she's back to good health.

#63 hfs

hfs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,343 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 08:23 AM

Yes, Gail confirmed that once she's recovered she will be available for adoption under our no-breeding contract. Since we have her identity but don't have her papers, and considering her age and no production record, I'm hoping that is a restriction which folks will respect.

#64 DejaVuToo

DejaVuToo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 10:41 AM

That sounds reasonable. I don't breed, so it isn't an issue. The only issue would be getting her here. Is there any word as far as what may be causing the swelling in her legs?

#65 Whoanellie

Whoanellie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 08:06 PM

That sounds reasonable. I don't breed, so it isn't an issue. The only issue would be getting her here. Is there any word as far as what may be causing the swelling in her legs?

The swelling WAS most likely from starvation. Her system is pretty whacked out. When they get this thin, the body's main function is to provide what nutrition/energy there is to the vital organs. We have seen edema in the legs, chest, belly as circulation is compromised in order to provide for the heart, brain, etc. (vital organs). The swelling has decreased significantly now and she is actually gaining weight in a very short time. It is my opinion (take it for what it is worth) that she was not being fed enough or regularly for a very long time. I do not think she was completely without feed for a long time. The reason I think this is because when she first arrived, she would eat and then take a break, eat and then take a break. Most of the horses we have brought in that have been without food at all have always buried their heads in the feeder for the first few days. Examples: Melvin, Autumn, Edison, sadly, the list goes on.

She is gaining a bit and is eating well. She still is slow to eat soaked pellets, but it is the only way I can give her vitamins, psyllium, MSM, Senior Feed & Ceytal-M. She does eventually eat everything though. Most of our older horses will dive into the pellets before eating their Hay. "Jewel"/EA Flamette takes her time. (Pic below taken today)
Posted Image

It will take awhile to get her back to decent weight. We are hoping her upcoming session with Dr.Don Moore/chiropractor on 2/29/2012 will make a difference and get her out of any discomfort she is currently having.

HUGE thanks to DSpencer for her recent contribution to help with costs of care for this lovely mare!
  • lunatuna likes this

#66 DSpencer

DSpencer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 435 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 08:37 PM

Awww shucks - it wasn't much .... Glad to see her in a safe place and getting proper care.....

Dolly Ames (Matoi x Ames Onmyown) for sale or lease
LH So Bittersweet (Europia x Alisiam)  in foal to  II Damb Much (Sambist X II Much Money by Monogramm)  foaled June 21, 2014

Gatsby (*Ecaho X LH So Bittersweet) 4/5/09 - 5/22/09 Gone but not forgotton - I miss you!

https://www.facebook.com/GoLightlyLLC

#67 Whoanellie

Whoanellie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 08:14 AM

My apologies for not updating sooner. EA Flamette had her chiropractic adjustment by Dr. Don Moore. Poor Girl! Her stifles were bad. We gave her 1 Bute in the morning and 1 at night for 2 days afterward. Dr. Moore wants to come back out in 30 days to do a follow-up. This is fairly unusual as he doesn't always need to to a follow-up. Her hips, pelvis, neck and hind ankles were out. Her front ankles need a bit of adjustment too as she was putting more weight on her front end to relieve the pressure from her stifles. Dr. Moore wants her out and moving before his next visit. Despite her stifle soreness, she is a lovely mover!

Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

I have some nice pics of her in the arena area from yesterday that I will post as soon as I have uploaded them to her page on the TIER website.

#68 Northwind

Northwind

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,310 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 04:49 PM

I am so glad she is doing better and is safe. Wow, what a pedigree! Oh would I love to find a younger mare like her and with that pedigree, double El Gato.
Northwind Arabians
Standing;
Ballience V (Allience+// x Balquenette V) Res Canadian Nat. Ch. Park and Res. Nat. Ch. Eng. Pleasure Jr Horse..

Owned by, Northwind Arabians

El Shuja Wahid (Norus x Naftula by Moniet El Sharaf) Straight Egyptian.
Owned by, Northwind Arabians

The Elixir (HI-Fashion Mreekh x Jaliya), Straight Egyptian. Canadian Nationals, and Scottsdale, Top 10 Stallion.
Owned by, Watson Arabians.

or visit our photo site of all our horses

#69 Whoanellie

Whoanellie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 05:44 PM

3/3/2012 - New Pics!!

Posted Image

Jewel poses with TIER VolunTIERS.

Posted Image

Mel & Jewel - EA Flamette

Posted Image

Posted Image

She is a very nice mover!

#70 DSpencer

DSpencer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 435 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 07:42 PM

Well she looks like she is gaining ground and moving over ground very nicely. Another Chiro visit ...... at least she is getting better. My mare is scheduled for her third Chiro visit......

just sent a bit more to help for Jewel.....

Dolly Ames (Matoi x Ames Onmyown) for sale or lease
LH So Bittersweet (Europia x Alisiam)  in foal to  II Damb Much (Sambist X II Much Money by Monogramm)  foaled June 21, 2014

Gatsby (*Ecaho X LH So Bittersweet) 4/5/09 - 5/22/09 Gone but not forgotton - I miss you!

https://www.facebook.com/GoLightlyLLC