Photo

Does Anyone Know How To Check A Trainers Back Ground?

dressage

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 brandy120

brandy120

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 927 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 01:35 PM

Hi guys.

I found a dressage trainer that I really like. Only I don't know anything about or know anyone in the dressage world. So I'm kind of flying blind.
I got her name off a flyer at a local horsey type place. She said she was on the Olympic team and was the youngest girl (18 at the time)to ride and train the world famous lipizzaner stallions.
She recently moved to the area after an ugly divorce. She said long story short--she lost every thing and is building her life from scratch. All she has left of her past is her 26 year old stallion ,that is now a gelding, and anther younger horse that she is curently showing and she said he has won some top awards, or points, or something I don't remember.

Any way the point is I have googled her name and not found much. How do I know she is telling the truth about these things? I don't think she is lying, but I think I'm too trusting and don't want to pay good money to anyone misrepresenting them self.

Have any of you guys herd of Shanna Haywood? Is there some kind of club that I can call or something?

thanks
Brandy

On a differant note; is anyone elses spell check disabled?
Autism Rocks! and flips and flaps and squeaks and squeals and licks.

#2 faerie

faerie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,523 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 01:46 PM

I can ask around. Credentials don't mean anything. It can mean that they have crippled twenty horses to get one in the show ring. It can mean their methodical. Take your horse, see how you like it and how your horse responds.

I'll see what I can find out.
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

#3 horsendane

horsendane

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,349 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 01:53 PM

Did she tell you where she trained the Lippizzans? If she was on the Olympic team then there would be an article or something on the internet with her name in it. Or in the USDF or USEF websites. I think they post that.

#4 siiamese

siiamese

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,968 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 03:26 PM

http://equestrian.teamusa.org/

try contacting these people to ask if she was on the team?
and, hate to be a skeptic, but where did she live that she trained the famous Lippizanners?

#5 brandy120

brandy120

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 927 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 03:40 PM

I did find some stuff about her stud Altanero D. AndI found her name on the USEF. Thanks Dane. I think she is registard under Shanna Goodpasture. But it says she is inactive. Is there a way to find her compitition record? . .

http://equestrian.teamusa.org/

try contacting these people to ask if she was on the team?
and, hate to be a skeptic, but where did she live that she trained the famous Lippizanners?

I don't know. She did show me a portfolio with news paper articals of her with them.So I belive her about that. She said she traveled all over with them.
  • horsendane likes this
Autism Rocks! and flips and flaps and squeaks and squeals and licks.

#6 zai

zai

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 848 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 04:18 PM

There is a fairly new site that is supposed to show all USDF scores for both rider and horse http://www.centerlinescores.com/ But it won't give anything except competition scores.... she may have been a pro with one of the travelling Lippizan entertainment shows. But that is not THE Lipizzaners from the Spanish Riding School.

#7 elitearab

elitearab

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,470 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 04:19 PM

If you do a google search of Shanna Haywood dressage it shows a couple references to Shanna Goodpasture Haywood. Haywood is probably her maiden name? looks like she bred Andalusians and had a farm named goodpasture andalusians. The website is outdated, but that is par for the course if she has gone through a divorce. Here is a snipet of her bio from the BAEN event page. There also appears to be a listing for her http://www.horsereso.../pdf/HR2011.pdf but it is killing my computer to download it. (note to self, delete some files!) There were also some other Andalusian links and you could probably find some results under USDF, for the northern CA region if you choose to look. Nothing negative popped out, or at least there wasn't a fugly post if that is what you are looking for.

Shanna Goodpasture will present methods to enable you and your horse to ride in harmony and enhance the willingness of your horse to perform at his best with you. Shanna is a Grand Prix dressage and exhibition rider who has been trained by renowned riding instructors in Spain, Canada and the United States. At the age of eighteen, Shanna was the first lady rider with the Royal Lipizzaner Stallion show, breaking a 400 year-old tradition. Attend at premier equestrian facility www.gilroygaits.com.

http://www.register-...2&story_id=2932 here is an article about the camel she owns/owned.

As with any trainer, I would go and watch or better yet, take a lesson with her in person and see if what she is teaching the horses and her students is right for you.

Wins and credentials are great, but they don't equal being a good trainer or teacher. When my daughter was 17 an instructor that she clinics with suggested she clinic with an Olympic Bronze medalist to see what she could get out of her. We audited the clinic and ended up leaving after seeing one ride. I would have had to throw rotten tomatoes and hurl insults at her for at least 6 months to get her toughened up to ride with that woman, she was brutal! We stayed with the instructor who refered her. Some can do, some can teach. The instructor that she rode with taught someone who went on to be an Olympic medalist, the other was an Olympic medalist, but from what I saw, not too good at teaching.... or at least her methods were not for us. You need to find if she and her methods are correct for you and your horse.
  • brandy120 and WildfireArabians like this
www.elitearabians.com

Come visit us to see the farm and horses for sale. We are selling the farm and disbursing all but a few of our horses. Prices are super low and all offers will be considered. A good home more important than price!

#8 dragon

dragon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,075 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 04:54 PM

Do you know if she ever lived/trained in the Reno, NV area?

#9 Tamcam

Tamcam

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,003 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 05:38 PM

This is Shanna Goodpasture, I know her pretty well we travelled the same circles in the horse world and I did a photoshoot or 2 with her. She is a good rider and her horses seem to be well schooled. I don't know how much showing she does, as she does the Andi thing. She was riding at Starr Vaughn Equestrian for awhile and I saw her often. The rest of the stuff I don't know about, Olympics or Lippizans. But I will voche that she is a very capable rider at the high levels of dressage. If you like her, take some lessons with her. Use your own judgement.
  • IQsMom likes this

Posted Image

Copyright 2011

Posted Image

#10 nhraffer

nhraffer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,625 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 05:51 PM

I did find some stuff about her stud Altanero D. AndI found her name on the USEF. Thanks Dane. I think she is registard under Shanna Goodpasture. But it says she is inactive. Is there a way to find her compitition record? . .

I don't know. She did show me a portfolio with news paper articals of her with them.So I belive her about that. She said she traveled all over with them.

her stallion i have to say he was so beautiful....pics were beautiful but seeing him in person....wow

Kellie Flanagan

N H Raffer (Raffon x Ferlima)1983 B stallion 3/30/83-3/10/09
Da-Kheree (Khemosabi x Nacoy)1987 B mare
Khemonette (Khemosabi x Famemiss) 1991 B mare
FA Summer Bask (Star Maker x GR Bi Baska)1994 C mare
Sabras Silver Wind (FV Concorde Gezzan x AM Emily Dreamla)2005 G filly

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: dressage