Photo

To small for breeding??

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
11 replies to this topic

#1 Penny Lane Arabians

Penny Lane Arabians

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 23 August 2011 - 02:45 PM

I own a mare who is about 14h to 14.1 h ishhhh. She is very correct in her conformation, very nice legs a good shoulder and good breeding. I was think of breeding her at some point, but is her being to small a bad thing for her?? Could she tare as she pushes the foal out?? Or something else go wrong because of her size??

Also its not the mare in my avatar, I dont have any Picture of her right now but, i will get some soon!!

#2 IDL Arabians

IDL Arabians

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 703 posts

Posted 23 August 2011 - 02:55 PM

I have a mare that is probably 14.1 or 14.2. She's had 3 foals and all of them have been huge. She only had a bit of trouble with the first foal but after that, she's had no issues.
Home of:
Zenzational V (Desperado V x Zahr Ann)
SW Khameo (SW Khlint+ x WCA Satinee)
Cimarron Rose (Desperado V x Kalyca (by Kaiyoum ++)
WWA Ceara Gazal (Gazal al Shaqab x Ceara PJ)

.IDL Arabians

#3 Katwright

Katwright

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 621 posts

Posted 23 August 2011 - 02:56 PM

You know those Mini's are able to have a foal OK.

Kathy

#4 Rumonek

Rumonek

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,514 posts

Posted 23 August 2011 - 04:13 PM

Miniature horses and Ponies reproduce all of the time ;)
I have a mare that is 14 hands currently in foal. The mare controls the size of her foal to "fit" her. Of course there are times that this just doesn't work out, but it can happen with any sized mare- big or small.

Posted Image

Rumonek Colored Arabians

In Gold We Trust RCA
2010 53% Arabian Cremello Colt
(Allusive Gold ss X Wyo Prairie Pearl)

#5 MMC

MMC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 875 posts

Posted 23 August 2011 - 05:26 PM

All good points!
Ashley Robinson & Allyssa Baird
...You can't have the dream without the drive...
Mistikal Marketing Centre, LLC
www.MistikalMarketingCentre.com

#6 Copper Leaf

Copper Leaf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,192 posts

Posted 23 August 2011 - 06:40 PM

If 14hh horses had too many difficulties delivering healthy foals... we wouldn't have a breed ;)

Generally speaking (with some exceptions I'm sure) mother nature keeps the foal from becoming too large for the mare to carry and deliver.... After delivering the foal will usually develop at a normal rate. There have been studies where pony mares were bred to much larger stallions and were able to carry and foal out successfully.

Praise God, from Whom all blessings flow;
Praise Him, all creatures here below;
Praise Him above, ye Heavenly Host;
Praise Father, Son, and Holy Ghost. Amen.

#7 ponygirl

ponygirl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 827 posts

Posted 23 August 2011 - 07:26 PM

I just took this picture of a colt born to a 14 hand mare. this mare is very short in the back and not much room for a big foal. Here is a picture. the foals ligaments where over streached in utero because of lack of room. He has to be wrapped for the next 16 weeks.

Attached Thumbnails

• Aisha 008.JPG

Sherry Cichocki
SLC Camelot Farms

#8 Metallic36

Metallic36

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 767 posts

Posted 23 August 2011 - 07:56 PM

I believe it would depend on what she is bred to. You wouldn't want to breed her to a stallion much larger than her, just my opinion though.

#9 Rumonek

Rumonek

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,514 posts

Posted 24 August 2011 - 01:05 AM

I just took this picture of a colt born to a 14 hand mare. this mare is very short in the back and not much room for a big foal. Here is a picture. the foals ligaments where over streached in utero because of lack of room. He has to be wrapped for the next 16 weeks.

I rescued a colt with the same issue- he required leg casts, then splints, then special plastic shoes... Dam was over 16 hands, and sire was smaller than her.

Things like this can and will happen reguardless of mare size unfortunately :(

Posted Image

Rumonek Colored Arabians

In Gold We Trust RCA
2010 53% Arabian Cremello Colt
(Allusive Gold ss X Wyo Prairie Pearl)

#10 Oak Lawn Arabians

Oak Lawn Arabians

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,435 posts

Posted 24 August 2011 - 04:23 AM

Most of our foundation mare are 13.3-14.2 HH. All have had foals and all have been healthy. :) We have one mare who is 14HH and anything stallion we breed her to, she has a foal that is as tall as she is when they are a yearling. Her first foal is 15.1HH and her second foal (by a 13.3HH stallion) is 14.2HH as a 2 year old! She has not had any problems foaling and her foals have been beautiful.

Here is a picture of her and her foal (that is 2 now) as a yearling.

Go ahead and breed your mare!!

Carrie

Most vets I have spoken to about ligament issues say it is a lack of selenium or other vitamin issues in utero. They also say that almost all mares will only carry a foal that they can handle regardless of the ultimate size of the foal.

Oak Lawn Arabians
Carrie and Alex Stewart
Home of CT Saint Patrick, Dancin InThe Sand AND Beaudacious Boogie OLA, 2009 Region 15 Top 5 SHIH Mares ATH Open
"Using Bloodlines of the Past, To Create Beautiful Athletes of the Future!"