Photo
- - - - -

Question on whips

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
18 replies to this topic

#11 maryjo

maryjo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,557 posts

Posted 24 March 2011 - 10:41 AM

And it IS a very good idea to ride without a whip for at least a month prior to competing without one.

Ask me how I know...
MaryJo

#12 Cache

Cache

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 24 March 2011 - 11:30 AM

Thank you everyone for the replys. I have never ridden him in spurs, I think I'll try... it just seems simpler!

If you have a good tack store that deals with a lot of dressage riders, they will often measure the whip for you right there in the store. One of the ones around here measures all whips before they check you out and if it isn't dressage legal (and you need it to be) they'll either direct you to one that is...or trim the end of the one you're buying to legal length if possible.
Jennifer

StormFire Arabians
http://www.stormfirearabians.com

Quality horses for competition, pleasure, and life.

"The revolution in horsemanship is a revolution in relationships--
between horses and people and the world in which they live."
--The Revolution in Horsemanship; Dr. Robert Miller, Rick Lamb

"As long as we do not ask the horse to forget who he is,
he will remind us of who we want to be."
--If I Had a Horse; Melissa Sovey-Nelson

#13 tiki-bird

tiki-bird

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 941 posts

Posted 24 March 2011 - 01:31 PM

And it IS a very good idea to ride without a whip for at least a month prior to competing without one.

Ask me how I know...

A good story? (Or maybe a bad one...)

Preserving the bloodline of *Lotnik, WWII Prize of War

Author of Tennessee's Arabian Horse Racing Heritage

#14 maryjo

maryjo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,557 posts

Posted 24 March 2011 - 01:42 PM

A good story? (Or maybe a bad one...)

I have a REALLY bad left knee. So not a lot of strength. But my horse is very sensitive.

THOUGHT he was light off my leg. Tried to compete early on without my whip. Didn't have much for
lengthenings. VERY little response. Now please understand I do not use my whip much.

Turns out he was going off the VISUAL cue to the whip.

So, now before Regionals I make sure I ride for a least a month without a whip. And past year since
we were doing Intermediare 2 I tried to ride most of the time without a whip. Didn't want there to be
any question about getting the passage and piaffe.

Now when we did our regionals at 4th level, my leg went numb from the hip down about 4 minutes before
my ride time. I was laying on his neck yelling in pain. Trainer put my foot back in the stirrup for me because
I could not. Ended up competing 4th with NO left leg. Shade did his half passes, tempis, and pirouettes
all off my seat and a tiny little movement of my stirrup. Extended to collected wasn't so good because I
couldn't support in the down transitions with no leg. . But he was stellar.
MaryJo

#15 tiki-bird

tiki-bird

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 941 posts

Posted 25 March 2011 - 08:04 AM

What a good boy!

Interesting he was taking the cue from seeing the whip rather than feeling it.

I hope the numb leg was an isolated event for you!

Preserving the bloodline of *Lotnik, WWII Prize of War

Author of Tennessee's Arabian Horse Racing Heritage

#16 maryjo

maryjo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,557 posts

Posted 25 March 2011 - 09:17 AM

What a good boy!

Interesting he was taking the cue from seeing the whip rather than feeling it.

I hope the numb leg was an isolated event for you!

RE: Seeing the whip. He is very alert. Plus very often when I go to touch him, my thighs are round enough the whip never connects with his body. Found this out by seeing some video.

My leg is a problem. Fortunately my horse compensates.
MaryJo

#17 spiritthyme

spiritthyme

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,794 posts

Posted 29 March 2011 - 09:00 AM

RE: Seeing the whip. He is very alert. Plus very often when I go to touch him, my thighs are round enough the whip never connects with his body. Found this out by seeing some video.

My leg is a problem. Fortunately my horse compensates.

Mary Jo,

I could not for the life of me find where the written rules are for the whip length etc... would you have a link ??? :D Thanks ! I remember back in 2006 someone being disqualified at Scottsdale for too long of a whip and after that people actually started dropping theirs before entering the ring !

Spirit Thyme ( Pryme Thyme X Kendrid Spirit YW ) 2003 Gelding

Topez ( *Pesniar X DW Baskala by *Bask ) 1983 Stallion

Jamaalah Spirit HT ( Spirit Thyme X Halima El Jamaal by *Dakar El Jamaal ) 2013 filly

#18 maryjo

maryjo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,557 posts

Posted 29 March 2011 - 09:35 AM

Mary Jo,

I could not for the life of me find where the written rules are for the whip length etc... would you have a link ??? :D Thanks ! I remember back in 2006 someone being disqualified at Scottsdale for too long of a whip and after that people actually started dropping theirs before entering the ring !

USEF 2011 Rule book.

Dressage division http://usef.org/docu.../2011/08-DR.pdf

From DR21

6. One whip no longer than 47.2 inches (120 cm), including lash may be carried in all classes
except USEF/USDF Championships, USEF National Dressage Championships, USEF High
Performance Championships, USEF High Performance qualifying and selection trials, and
observation classes. (Exception: Competitors riding sidesaddle may carry a whip no longer
than 47.2 inches (120 cm), including lash, in USEF/USDF Championships.) One whip no
longer than 47.2 inches (120 cm), including lash may be carried in all qualifying classes (in-
cluding NAYRC and NAJC) unless such use is otherwise prohibited by FEI or Federation rules
or selection procedures for the classes. An adjustable-length whip may not be carried by a
mounted rider.
MaryJo

#19 spiritthyme

spiritthyme

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,794 posts

Posted 29 March 2011 - 10:25 AM

USEF 2011 Rule book.

Dressage division http://usef.org/docu.../2011/08-DR.pdf

From DR21

6. One whip no longer than 47.2 inches (120 cm), including lash may be carried in all classes
except USEF/USDF Championships, USEF National Dressage Championships, USEF High
Performance Championships, USEF High Performance qualifying and selection trials, and
observation classes. (Exception: Competitors riding sidesaddle may carry a whip no longer
than 47.2 inches (120 cm), including lash, in USEF/USDF Championships.) One whip no
longer than 47.2 inches (120 cm), including lash may be carried in all qualifying classes (in-
cluding NAYRC and NAJC) unless such use is otherwise prohibited by FEI or Federation rules
or selection procedures for the classes. An adjustable-length whip may not be carried by a
mounted rider.

Thanks so much again ! :D

Spirit Thyme ( Pryme Thyme X Kendrid Spirit YW ) 2003 Gelding

Topez ( *Pesniar X DW Baskala by *Bask ) 1983 Stallion

Jamaalah Spirit HT ( Spirit Thyme X Halima El Jamaal by *Dakar El Jamaal ) 2013 filly