Photo

Nurse Mare Needed in Wisconsin (or close to wisconsin)....

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
23 replies to this topic

#1 Terri G

Terri G

New

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 18 March 2011 - 04:07 AM

We have a maiden mare rejecting her foal (now 5 days old) and we are looking for a nurse mare.

Can be a dry mare (that has been a previous nurse mare or would be a good candidate for a nurse mare due to temperament) as they can be brought into milk with the appropriate med's.

If we can not find a nurse mare...would be looking for a temporary companion (aged gelding or mare that is good with foals) for the foal as we will need to orphan him.

Thank you in advance.

Terri
DHArabians@frontiernet.net
715-823-2165

#2 TripleHFarm

TripleHFarm

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,938 posts

Posted 18 March 2011 - 04:15 AM

I've sent this on to several people, one's mare was used as a nurse with the injections.
BINT SAFIERA 2000 Bay mare, SHAMS EL BINA 2002 Bay mare, NAKHDA AL SHAIB 2004 Grey Gelding<---- AL, SIHR JAWHER 2006 Bay Stallion, NADEERAH ALIAH 2006 Bay mare, ZAHRAN HAMRAH 2006 Grey mare, SHAMS FIDAT 2012 grey filly, SKYLER the 1/2 Arabian pinto wonder horse

#3 tcthunder

tcthunder

Advanced Member

• ABN Supporter
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,255 posts

Posted 18 March 2011 - 07:10 AM

What location in WI?
Home to:

ACCLAIMMED RRX (Affirmmed x Misaahbi) 6/13/06-12/2/10 R.I.P.

ANIMIKIKA@MSN.COM

#4 AccentoArabians

AccentoArabians

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,688 posts

Posted 18 March 2011 - 07:25 AM

What location in WI?

Looks like you are Northeast. I don't know a ton of horse people in that area. Would you be willing to travel a bit to pick up a mare? I could ask people in NW Wisconsin.
KL Lalita (*Kluszyn X Malitaa) --her 2012 filly by Mr Holly Fire (Afire Bey V X Zodiac Matador daughter)
Ames Dutchess (Philander Bey X Contessa Parada (Gai Parada))
RoyalesCarmenJazz (KC Rouge Royale X Beaux Suada)

Petita (Heritage Bey King X Zsa Zsa Ghazi (*El Ghazi))

#5 GoBlueGirl

GoBlueGirl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 916 posts

Posted 18 March 2011 - 04:22 PM

I know the nurse mare route is the best. However, if your search is unsuccessful, I can highly recommend the Buckeye Nutrition products. I have a 5 month old orphan who has done very well first on the Mares Milk Replacer and then their milk pellets.

The filly lost her dam at 24 hours old and quickly learned to drink her milk from a bucket. She is now turned out with a 23 yr old Saddlebred mare as a baby sitter and catching up quickly on her "how to be a horse" lessons.

I'm sorry for the trials with your maiden mare :(

#6 Terri G

Terri G

New

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 18 March 2011 - 06:47 PM

We are in central wisconsin and will travel anywhere in Wisconsin and surround states

Terri

#7 rroyalee

rroyalee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,326 posts

Posted 18 March 2011 - 06:55 PM

I have a nurse mare, but I'm in Utah. My mare will let ANY foal nurse off of her, whether she is wet or dry. I'm sorry I'm so far away, I know she would be fabulous. Were you just wanting to borrow? Or would you like the foal to go where the mare is? Let me know if any of this sounds good to you.

Double Starz Ranch
standing
Napayshni & Allahs Sukkar Abiad
www.doublestarzranch.com

#8 Jada

Jada

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 196 posts

Posted 19 March 2011 - 03:49 AM

I would suggest bucket feeding this baby with mares milk replacer.......... Buckeye products has a terrific Mare's Milk product that you can mix a 12 hour supply and it won't spoil and let baby drink when he/she wants...almost like nature. They also have milk pellets for older foals. I raised an orphan baby from birth. It is a very tiring but rewarding experience. Please let me know if I can be of assistance.
~Jackie~
SavannahFarm

Banner

#9 catherine

catherine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 19 March 2011 - 05:45 AM

Call U W Madison Vet School or one of the many vet breeding facilities near Madison. There have to be mares around that have lost foals and would accept one. Last year my open broodmare stole another mares baby and tried to make her suckle. Dean Meyer in Lodi would be a good vet to call.
Catherine

#10 bobm

bobm

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 308 posts

Posted 19 March 2011 - 08:51 AM

We have a maiden mare rejecting her foal (now 5 days old) and we are looking for a nurse mare.

Can be a dry mare (that has been a previous nurse mare or would be a good candidate for a nurse mare due to temperament) as they can be brought into milk with the appropriate med's.

If we can not find a nurse mare...would be looking for a temporary companion (aged gelding or mare that is good with foals) for the foal as we will need to orphan him.

Thank you in advance.

Terri
DHArabians@frontiernet.net
715-823-2165

I have raised a few orphaned foals on this formula: 1 can of condensed milk + 1 can ( from condenced milk) of water + 2 tablspoons of Caro syrup + 1 tablespoon of mineral water ( from any local pharmacy). Good luck !