Photo

Love the Quarab!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
68 replies to this topic

#1 chrisbailey

chrisbailey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 322 posts

Posted 16 December 2010 - 11:24 AM

I love the Quarab Breed...or is it a breed? For the most part, these horses seem to get the best of both worlds: the wonderful disposition and substance from the Quarter Horse and the beauty and needed endurance from the Arabian. I bought my Quarab, KB Jull Fahim+// (half Paint), for a trail horse but she turned out to be a multinational champion dressage horse. Who would have thought? I would love to know why you love your Quarab? What do you think the good or bad things are about these horses? Would love to see your favorite pics!

Update: Jull has reached Grand Prix and will show GP at 2012 SHN
Jull and Chelsey extended trot.jpg

#2 liz

liz

Chief feeder and pooper scooper

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,071 posts

Posted 16 December 2010 - 11:36 AM

I love the Quarab Breed. For the most part, these horses seem to get the best of both worlds: the wonderful disposition and substance from the Quarter Horse and the beauty and needed endurance from the Arabian. I bought my Quarab, KB Jull Fahim+// (half Paint), for a trail horse but she turned out to be a multinational champion dressage horse. Who would have thought? I would love to know why you love the Quarab Breed? What do you think the good or bad things are about these horses? Would love to see your favorite pics!

Jull and Chelsey extended trot.jpg

I must agree with all you mention about the getting the best of both worlds.

But I must NOT agree that this is a Breed. It's just a cross of two different breeds, but not a breed in itself.
I have done this cross, numerous, numerous times and the individuals can be so diverse from each other. So, I don't think a breed designation could ever be standardized - hence not exist.

Vanilla Zip - Sire of Canadian/Sport Horse/Youth/US National Champion,  TT & Regional winners- 5 Nat WP TT winners in 2013
Faramond BPA (Versace) -  stallion   SOLD    5 National Top Tens in WP  

Summerwind Australian Shepherds -  No puppies available at the time...

#3 chrisbailey

chrisbailey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 322 posts

Posted 16 December 2010 - 11:59 AM

I must agree with all you mention about the getting the best of both worlds.

But I must NOT agree that this is a Breed. It's just a cross of two different breeds, but not a breed in itself.
I have done this cross, numerous, numerous times and the individuals can be so diverse from each other. So, I don't think a breed designation could ever be standardized - hence not exist.

I have been approached by the International QuaRab Horse Association to register Jull as a Quarab. Apparently, they think it is a breed and because of this I did too? I do realize you can get multiple types of horses with this mixture, but it seems to be a pretty good gamble. You sound like you have much experience and your input is appreciated.

#4 Aelfleah Farm

Aelfleah Farm

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,076 posts

Posted 16 December 2010 - 12:20 PM

I bred three full siblings, and got three very different horses! One looked like a pretty QH, one like a heavy Arabian, and one like small warmblood. I was in the IQHA email groups back when I still had Quarabs, but didn't see where the association was going very far so stepped out. And sold my last Quarab anyway.

As much as I like the cross, I would have to agree that it is simply a crossbred. Not a breed. Maybe if it was bred within it's self for multiple generations and stabilized a phenotype, it would be a breed. But really no different than inventing the Hacknerabian (Hackney x Arabian cross) or the Arabo-Friesian or the Welara or any other Arabian crosses. But I'm all for registering horses as many ways as possible, so if you like the IQHA, go ahead and have your mare registered! They might have awards programs you could enter and the more of those the better!

Tamara Woodcock, Scurry, Texas
BLUE STAR Arabians and Arabian-influenced Sportponies
Combined Training, Combined Driving, Dressage, Endurance, and Show Jumping

Posted Image

#5 chrisbailey

chrisbailey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 322 posts

Posted 16 December 2010 - 12:27 PM

I bred three full siblings, and got three very different horses! One looked like a pretty QH, one like a heavy Arabian, and one like small warmblood. I was in the IQHA email groups back when I still had Quarabs, but didn't see where the association was going very far so stepped out. And sold my last Quarab anyway.

As much as I like the cross, I would have to agree that it is simply a crossbred. Not a breed. Maybe if it was bred within it's self for multiple generations and stabilized a phenotype, it would be a breed. But really no different than inventing the Hacknerabian (Hackney x Arabian cross) or the Arabo-Friesian or the Welara or any other Arabian crosses. But I'm all for registering horses as many ways as possible, so if you like the IQHA, go ahead and have your mare registered! They might have awards programs you could enter and the more of those the better!

I have to agree. I think it would take many generations of Quarabs breeding within there own pool before breed characteristics could be standardized. The Fact there is a Quarab breed Registry is a start but a very infant phase of developing an actual breed. Your point is well taken.

#6 kcranford

kcranford

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,833 posts

Posted 16 December 2010 - 12:56 PM

Luv those big "butts" LOL! I don't have a Quarter/Arab cross yet, but bred my AQHA mare, Zippos Fashion Doll to the beautiful MC Picasso, owned by my friends, Bob & Becky Nash.
Unfortunately, after being checked in foal twice - the mare slipped and so no foal - going to rebreed in early spring though! Picasso has a massive chest and hip and so does my mare - we're thinking the baby should be named "Tank"!

Edited by kcranford, 15 February 2011 - 08:34 AM.

RUSSKA FARMS, LLC
Arabian Show Horses
Dr. Russell & Kathy Cranford
"We were created by an Artist. We are meant to live beautifully every day."

#7 Aelfleah Farm

Aelfleah Farm

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,076 posts

Posted 16 December 2010 - 01:11 PM

Here's my favorite of the three full siblings I bred:
This is Aelfleah Magicou by Cinemagical (AHA) and out of Hanks Pata Nell (AQHAX) by Brandy H Hank (AQHA)
Posted Image

And here she is with her new owner - picture taken last spring I think
Posted Image

Tamara Woodcock, Scurry, Texas
BLUE STAR Arabians and Arabian-influenced Sportponies
Combined Training, Combined Driving, Dressage, Endurance, and Show Jumping

Posted Image

#8 Mystic Rose

Mystic Rose

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,390 posts

Posted 16 December 2010 - 07:20 PM

This is Pendragon Myth (Summer Saga x Shiloahs Dixie). He's the first Quarab I have bred, and I am very pleased with the results. He's only 2, already over 15h. out of parents that are both right at 15h. I bred him to be an endurance horse - and think he will be fabulous. I know several Quarabs that compete in endurance, and the ones with the right build seem to do great =)

IMG_1611.JPG

IMG_1663.JPG

IMG_1629.JPG

Jennifer Whittaker
http://www.MysticRoseArabians.com or find us on FB under Mystic Rose Arabians
Home of: Summer Saga+ (Massar El Sabbah x Summer Savannah) - proven high mileage endurance stallion and SHIH Champion.
SHN Payback Nominated, SCID and CA negative.  Sire of Regional Champions in Endurance/SHIH/SHUS and winning open dressage horses!

#9 liz

liz

Chief feeder and pooper scooper

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,071 posts

Posted 16 December 2010 - 07:51 PM

I have been approached by the International QuaRab Horse Association to register Jull as a Quarab. Apparently, they think it is a breed and because of this I did too? I do realize you can get multiple types of horses with this mixture, but it seems to be a pretty good gamble. You sound like you have much experience and your input is appreciated.

I think you need to ask of the Quarab Assoc. what benefit they will give you and your horse that AHA can't.

Vanilla Zip - Sire of Canadian/Sport Horse/Youth/US National Champion,  TT & Regional winners- 5 Nat WP TT winners in 2013
Faramond BPA (Versace) -  stallion   SOLD    5 National Top Tens in WP  

Summerwind Australian Shepherds -  No puppies available at the time...

#10 chrisbailey

chrisbailey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 322 posts

Posted 16 December 2010 - 11:15 PM

This is Pendragon Myth (Summer Saga x Shiloahs Dixie). He's the first Quarab I have bred, and I am very pleased with the results. He's only 2, already over 15h. out of parents that are both right at 15h. I bred him to be an endurance horse - and think he will be fabulous. I know several Quarabs that compete in endurance, and the ones with the right build seem to do great =)

IMG_1611.JPG

IMG_1663.JPG

IMG_1629.JPG

He is very nice! Congrats and I hope endurance fits him. I have known Quarabs that have done very well in endurance. Thanks so much for sharing your pictures! I loved all of them!
Chris