Photo
- - - - -

Braids

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
28 replies to this topic

#1 fireweedak

fireweedak

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 30 November 2010 - 02:45 PM

We have a few dressage schooling shows (and a few hunter classes) next summer. I'm interested in seeing how you guys braid up your arabs with long manes. I've pulled and braided manes, but not braided longer manes.

Please share your pics, tips, tricks, and any videos or guides that work for you. I've seen some button type braids on arabs, but I'm not sure if that was also a long mane.

Thank you in advance :)

#2 elitearab

elitearab

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,456 posts

Posted 30 November 2010 - 04:39 PM

We've done both running braids and button bows on our horses.

Here are pictures of the same horse with both styles. He doesn't have a really long, or thick mane so either works fine. The running braids are fast and easy to put in but they are harder to keep in. They are the easiest choice for real long or thick manes. The buttons take longer to put in, but last longer. Of course this same horse decided to rub out part of his mane this past fall, so he is now sporting the pulled look. We will see how long it gets before next season, he might sporting a new braid style this spring!

Regardless of which style, lots of quik braid or hairspray is a must!

The running braids stay in the best if you get up them way up on the crest of the neck. Use a stook to get up over the neck when you braid and keep them tight along the neck, they have a tendency to loosen up pretty easy.

Attached Thumbnails

• mmdss june 0377.JPG
  • Grunt dressage show.jpg

www.elitearabians.com

Come visit us to see the farm and horses for sale. We are selling the farm and disbursing all but a few of our horses. Prices are super low and all offers will be considered. A good home more important than price!

#3 fireweedak

fireweedak

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 30 November 2010 - 11:29 PM

Beautiful! Thanks for the pics and tips!

#4 starlitefarms

starlitefarms

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,688 posts

Posted 01 December 2010 - 04:44 AM

a long mane looks very nice in a fishnet braid.
Posted Image
owned by Aaron & Bonnie Smith

Posted Image

#5 huntseat

huntseat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 593 posts

Posted 01 December 2010 - 07:02 AM

I attempted some button braids on my mare with a long mane.. I will have to make them smaller/neater to show, of course, but it can be done. I also didn't have any yarn to work with or any of my braiding tools, so PLEASE forgive the sloppiness!
Posted Image

And here's the best pic I could find of her running braid in a hunter class... Either option could work for dressage.
Posted Image

PROUD OWNER OF
August Melody
(August Bey V x Hear the Music by MS Santana)
Arabians: Everything else is just a horse

#6 Hoofhaven

Hoofhaven

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,719 posts

Posted 01 December 2010 - 08:16 AM

If you do have a LONG mane, really the only way to do it up for those classes is in a running braid. If it is really super thick you can do a "double" braid by separating the made in half lengthwise and doing two. Dan's mane is very long and thick, we opted for the straight forward single running braid.

This is when we were waiting to accept our Region 17 Sport Horse In Hand 2yr + Stallions Reserve Championship award!

Posted Image

This is our fall photoshoot...I left the braid down , so you can see how long his mane is. This one was done loosely for a more relaxed look. We had changed from western to dressage atire, so I did it quite quickly.

Posted Image

Hoof-Haven Equestrian Ltd.

www.hoof-haven.com

Posted Image

#7 fireweedak

fireweedak

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 01 December 2010 - 08:35 AM

Starlite - I like the fishnet (Continental) braid, but for dressage and HUS I thought I would do a more traditional braiding. LOVE Continental for Fun shows and parades! It took me an hour the last time I did it and I still didn't finish it, I ran out of time.

Huntseat - that looks VERY nice! I was wondering if buttons were possible on a long mane. How the heck did you do that without tools? Very nice!

Hoofhaven - Dan looks so handsome. Now, if I could only pull off a running braid THAT nice looking.

#8 huntseat

huntseat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 593 posts

Posted 01 December 2010 - 07:47 PM

Starlite - I like the fishnet (Continental) braid, but for dressage and HUS I thought I would do a more traditional braiding. LOVE Continental for Fun shows and parades! It took me an hour the last time I did it and I still didn't finish it, I ran out of time.

Huntseat - that looks VERY nice! I was wondering if buttons were possible on a long mane. How the heck did you do that without tools? Very nice!

Hoofhaven - Dan looks so handsome. Now, if I could only pull off a running braid THAT nice looking.

Thank you! I used lots and lots of rubber bands :D I will only use yarn for *real* show braids, but that was just for kicks and to see if it could be done. Granted, her mane isn't terribly thick, but it also isn't terribly thin and it is about 16-18 inches long in the upper part. You need to make the braids thinner and wrap them around the braid close to the crest several times. I can try it again with yarn one of these days and take some pictures of the process.

For contrast, here is a dressage braid job I did on a VERY, very, way-too-short mane that had been pulled/trimmed into a mohawk:

Posted Image

PROUD OWNER OF
August Melody

#9 Aelfleah Farm

Aelfleah Farm

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,076 posts

Posted 01 December 2010 - 08:05 PM

What do you consider "too short"?

Tamara Woodcock, Scurry, Texas
BLUE STAR Arabians and Arabian-influenced Sportponies
Combined Training, Combined Driving, Dressage, Endurance, and Show Jumping

Posted Image

#10 huntseat

huntseat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 593 posts

Posted 01 December 2010 - 08:32 PM

What do you consider "too short"?

About 3 inches (in the long parts) and very thick.

Here is the same horse unbraided -
Posted Image

PROUD OWNER OF
August Melody