Photo

Dona Bellinger, Owner of Eden C

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
1427 replies to this topic

#11 Arlene Magid

Arlene Magid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,651 posts

Posted 17 October 2010 - 09:16 AM

I normally don't share a lot of what I know publically, but the time has come to say it.

I did some research for Dona back in the 1980s when she was just starting out and wanted to learn more about pedigrees. She had some *Serafix related mares and paid me for the work, no problems.

When I became friendly with Sherri Graves, who died earlier this year as the result of a horse accident, I got the real picture on Dona. She owed a lot of people money. Many of them had to take her to court to get their money. She was not good at managing her finances and also not truthful to deal with. Sherri warned me never to do business with her again. I promised I would not -Dona had not been in touch with me in many years. I counted myself fortunate that was the case as I don't want to be associated with people whose ethics are questionable.

She has a lot to answer for now.

Posted Image

#12 Lacinda

Lacinda

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,723 posts

Posted 17 October 2010 - 09:35 AM

There But for the Grace of God go I

(Not supporting her, just thanking my lucky stars!!)
Signature being edited, too large.

#13 Dreamcatcher

Dreamcatcher

Advanced Member

• ABN Supporter
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,241 posts

Posted 17 October 2010 - 09:40 AM

I can't easily see how this happened unless the person responsible for the horses' care was mentally ill to start with.
I've known plenty of people who "chased the dream" on a shoestring budget and did NOT allow their other horses to become emaciated.

This kind of behavior has been seen time and time again from people who regard horses as no more than a way to advance their status in society.

Mary

Well Mary, you said directly what I was trying to be a little tactful about. The flattery, the attention, the win, the promises, all get to some people to the point where they aren't able to think straight. They get so focused on the next big show and its expectations that they forget all about the ones at home, the bills, the mortgage. They are insecure and do need the accolades to find their place.

Again, I'm not condoning what she did, not at all. Just pointing out that this is probably the case behind more than one big name horse whose owner doesn't have super deep pockets.

Pat Lowe

#14 MMC

MMC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 875 posts

Posted 17 October 2010 - 09:44 AM

Absolutely heart breaking!
Ashley Robinson & Allyssa Baird
...You can't have the dream without the drive...
Mistikal Marketing Centre, LLC
www.MistikalMarketingCentre.com

#15 Dreamcatcher

Dreamcatcher

Advanced Member

• ABN Supporter
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,241 posts

Posted 17 October 2010 - 09:45 AM

I've been "chasing the Dream" for a few years, I gave away several horses ( to WONDERFUL Homes ) this year so that I can afford the dream...I have a question... if she has Eden C on lease, isn't she getting $ from it ???

That's a good example of NOT forgetting the ones at home. They won't suffer while you pay your show bills. It's the hoarder and collector mentality that get all wrapped up in the 'valuable' horses they have that they just can't let go of that gets in waaaay deep.

Makes you wonder about that lease, eh? I'd think she got a good sized chunk of change for the lease of Eden C, but maybe it's a feed lease for the status?

Pat Lowe

#16 morasgirl

morasgirl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,820 posts

Posted 17 October 2010 - 10:00 AM

Gallun Farms has him on their website as back from overseas and standing with them.

Home of

Zakamora (May 5, 1985-Jan 11, 2011) (Finzak x Metamorphosis), Katia (Padrons Dejonare x Zakamora)

Ipanema (Caribbean Baie (Monogramm X Shah Maali) x Eykis, Ariel (Homestead Werborr x Staryforr)
ZLA Yesca (
*Respingo x SZED Payadora by *SZED Jador)

#17 Arlene Magid

Arlene Magid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,651 posts

Posted 17 October 2010 - 10:07 AM

Gallun Farms has him on their website as back from overseas and standing with them.

And he is supposed to be shown by them at the US Nationals...this will be very interesting.

Posted Image

#18 SWells

SWells

Sapphire Farms

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,335 posts

Posted 17 October 2010 - 10:38 AM

There But for the Grace of God go I

(Not supporting her, just thanking my lucky stars!!)

There but for the Grace of God goes any of us...

Sue Wells
Sapphire Farms

Posted Image

Visit us on the web!

#19 BEYOND BEY

BEYOND BEY

www.webstersarabians.com

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 610 posts

Posted 17 October 2010 - 11:10 AM

There but for the Grace of God goes any of us...

Sue Wells
Sapphire Farms

I am so with you on this comment Sue!!! It's hard!!!

Tracy Webster
www.webstersarabians.com

#20 dowedoit

dowedoit

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,139 posts

Posted 17 October 2010 - 12:04 PM

I don't know any of the details other than what has been posted here and in the article from the OP link. Based on what I have read, I have a hard time bashing the owner as it is not clear what the state the other horses are in. Clearly, not enough for animal control to act. This from the article:

"At this time no charges are being filed against the owner for cruelty to animals. Dan Love, state veterinarian, had been at the horse farm a couple of times to check on the condition of the horses, most recently on Oct. 7.

Taylor was also present on the state vet’s last visit and described the horses as “in fairly good shape. They are not in any means in an emergency situation. As of last night (Oct. 7) they had food and water for them. Everything appeared to be pretty much in order last night.”

A sheriff deputy was at the farm on Oct. 8 and was told by the owner that someone was helping her care for the horses and food was being supplied.

“I think we are in pretty good shape now. There is one horse that is causing concern, but it is an older horse. It is also being cared for, it just looks bad,” Taylor said." [end quote from article]

As I read the article, the one horse that is of concern is the one pictured and it is "older."

Clearly the horse pictured is not in good condition but I did not see any photos of the other horses. Perhaps I missed something - in which case I hope someone can direct me. Otherwise I think it is premature to jump all over this owner. Especially, since I read over and over on this forum how owners should ask for help before their horses suffer. Isn't that exactly what this owner did? Do we know what state the remaining horses are in? Sorry, but it seems like damned if you do, damned if you don't. Why would anyone want to ask for help if this is the response?

ETA: Nor did I find any details of the age of the "older" horse or what might be the cause of the horse's condition. I think it is not uncommon for older horses to have a hard time keeping weight on, which often leads the owner to face the tough decision of knowing when to put the horse down. There are no details about the cause of this horse's condition or its age. Again, maybe I missed it.

ETAA: Several of the horses registered to her according to datasource are in their high twenties to 30. At least one grey mare is 28. Not every Arabian horse lives well into their 30s. Some suffer from melanomas... again, I haven't read any real details about the situation other than she surrendered some, but not all that were promised. Maybe she got more help then she originally anticipated. It is hard to know.
Home of Kalaloch (Piaff PASB x Ahbliss), multiple US National Champion, multiple Regional Champion and Scottsdale Champion.
CA and SCID negative.