Photo

endurance?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic

#1 angel217

angel217

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 24 September 2010 - 05:34 PM

Okay so I typically do dressage but I have an arabian and I think endurance might help build my confidence? what do you think, i am highly nervous when it comes to leaving home (heck even the arena) with my horse due to a few bad experiences and my own diagnosed anxioty. I am in southeast florida what do endurance rides Or competive trail cost to enter? and is it very tack specific? i would appreciate some good websites to help

#2 meghanldunn

meghanldunn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 24 September 2010 - 05:56 PM

Okay so I typically do dressage but I have an arabian and I think endurance might help build my confidence? what do you think, i am highly nervous when it comes to leaving home (heck even the arena) with my horse due to a few bad experiences and my own diagnosed anxioty. I am in southeast florida what do endurance rides Or competive trail cost to enter? and is it very tack specific? i would appreciate some good websites to help

Doing an endurance ride should help build the confidence between you and your horse! They cost usually about $45-65 for a 25 mile ride and between $75-100 for a 50 mile ride. Check out aerc.org and endurance.net. I believe on aerc.org you can find a list of mentors in your area

#3 ladycascabel

ladycascabel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,774 posts

Posted 24 September 2010 - 06:15 PM

Most endurance rides will offer short distance "fun" rides of 10 miles or less for "newbies". Give that a try! Also, it really helps to find a mentor for your first few rides, as mentioned earlier. Not only does it give YOU confidence, but it helps your horse relax on the trail by having a constant companion who is not passing him or being passed by him.
Tack: a helmet for you, comfy non-binding clothes, boots or riding shoes you can walk/jog in (once you get serious), stuff to layer with or protect you if the weather turns bad. For the horse: make sure anything he/she wears is comfortable and non-chafing. Most endurance riders use English saddles, very lightweight western saddles, or saddles designed specifically for endurance riding. I'm sure you will get many pointers from your new friends!
For anxiety on the trail, I recommend peppermints or gum; that is sort of like a horse being calmed by a roller in his bit! Keep the saliva flowing and your jaw loose and you will find you are less anxious. :)

Endurance riders are a fun group and are always happy to help new folks check out their sport. Use the AERC website to find your local club and ENJOY!!
Good luck!!

Mary

Mary Logan

www.cascabelranch.com

Proud of our family of working western athletes: Arabians, Half-arabs, National Foundation Quarter Horses.
Producers of all-natural grass-fed beef.

The Arabian and Half-arab Fam:

TS Paarden Mia chestnut purebred mare
HAA Marco Rojo chestnut Classical Spanish gelding
SA Firefoxx chestnut purebred gelding
OFW Carnation bay purebred mare
Baileys Khaffe Latte buckskin HA gelding
Skyy RPA amber champagne HA mare
Goldenseal MSL palomino HA gelding
Tenebria MSL black HA filly SOLD

#4 Runswithhorses

Runswithhorses

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 438 posts

Posted 26 September 2010 - 06:20 PM

I have anxiety issues as well. It depends on what specific things that trigger your attacks, but you might find endurance riding just plain fun. I used to be terrified of hauling my horses in a trailer. Be sure you are prepared for a flat tire with a good jack and all the tools you need to change a tire on your own. (one of my FORMER fears) The tack you need is whatever fits your horse the best. They do get checked for back soreness and tack galls. It doesn't matter what style of saddle you use, as long is the horse is happy with it. I am finding it costs around $100 even to enter an LD ride (25 miles), but that is in California. Then there is fuel to get there and food to last while you camp out for the weekend. I would recommend trying it. I also do Dressage and found that my Dressage helps my endurance riding. I think of each ride as a long Dressage test.

Endurance.net is the best place to go to get started, and the AERC website. Learn how to take care of your horse during a ride and how to condition for it.

Government is not the answer, it is the problem.

#5 Sally

Sally

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,732 posts

Posted 27 September 2010 - 05:29 AM

The best thing to do is just take your horse and just go out and trail ride and have fun. Learn to trust your horse and you will
definately gain confidence. The endurance rides do have a different atmosphere so it would help to know how your
horse responds in those types of situation.

I am taking my gelding on his first LD ride and I have a friend that
will be riding with me. We plan on starting about 15 minutes or so later than the start time,
to give my guy time to settle down.
After thatI think we will be fine. But we have been doing a lot of riding and conditoning this summer and have put him
in different situations where I think I know how he will be on this upcoming ride.

There is a group on yahoo that have a lot of Fla endurance riders that I am sure would love to answer any question you have.

SEDRA group on yahoo....