Photo

Where do i start?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3 replies to this topic

#1 Lexi Applegate

Lexi Applegate

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 15 April 2010 - 07:01 AM

I have a 8 yr. old arabian gelding. He has basic training, walk trot canter and can do all at different speeds. Knows how to longe, has good ground manners. He's good on trails and loves to go, go, go!

I want to use him for Endurance. Where do I start for training? What equipment do i need? Is there anybody on the Space Coast in FL?

Thank! :)
Lexi Applegate
Posted Image
'the arabian horse is God's gift to mankind'

check out our horse rescue! : Grace Equine Rescue and Therapy for Humans, Inc.

#2 Runswithhorses

Runswithhorses

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 438 posts

Posted 19 April 2010 - 06:34 PM

A great place to start for education is endurance.net. Go to the "ridecamp" section and search the archives with any questions you may have. That is a discussion forum that goes back for several years. Their archives are a wealth of information. Also, visit the American Endurance Ride Conference website. They actually have information for beginners, how to get started, and a basic training program to follow.

As for equipment, a saddle that really truly fits your horse and is comfortable even after several miles. The style is up to you. There are so many saddles to choose from, it gets confusing. It all comes down to fit. I love my biothane bridle, but also use regular nylon halter bridles. Remember, long slow distance. That is the foundation of the training program. Too much speed too soon results in injuries. Start by walking and building up miles, then gradually introduce more trotting....slowly. It takes time to toughen those tendons and condition the bones. He might love to go, go, go, but that is a good way to get an injury. They need to learn to relax and pace themselves.

I have a 8 yr. old arabian gelding. He has basic training, walk trot canter and can do all at different speeds. Knows how to longe, has good ground manners. He's good on trails and loves to go, go, go!

I want to use him for Endurance. Where do I start for training? What equipment do i need? Is there anybody on the Space Coast in FL?

Thank! :)

Government is not the answer, it is the problem.

#3 Nasarka

Nasarka

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 551 posts

Posted 20 April 2010 - 01:28 AM

Look up the SEDRA group on yahoo, tons of Florida folks on there.
Katie in Ky.

Pretty is as pretty does - beauty with utility

Save lives, spay and nueter, adopt a stray.

#4 Runswithhorses

Runswithhorses

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 438 posts

Posted 20 April 2010 - 06:45 AM

I just looked at the AERC website and remembered how I had trouble finding what I needed with all the information there. Here is a link to their "getting started" information, which can be accessed through their "education" link.

http://www.aerc.org/... First Ride.asp
Government is not the answer, it is the problem.