204 replies to this topic

#131 maryjo

maryjo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,548 posts

Posted 28 October 2011 - 12:53 PM

I'm looking to go the other way. I'm wanting to breed my Arabian mare to a WB. I looked at Pablito. They never responded to my email, however. The breeding manager from Iron Springs Farm did reply that two of their stallions have bred Arab mares. Has any looked at their stallions?

Pablito? SO are you looking for jumpers?

I know offspring of several of the Iron Springs stallions. It all depends on what you want. Some great dressage sires. Some stallions that are jumping lines.
MaryJo

#132 Tamcam

Tamcam

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,992 posts

Posted 28 October 2011 - 12:55 PM

I'm looking to go the other way. I'm wanting to breed my Arabian mare to a WB. I looked at Pablito. They never responded to my email, however. The breeding manager from Iron Springs Farm did reply that two of their stallions have bred Arab mares. Has any looked at their stallions?

That's why I started this thread, as I am always looking for Carli's next baby daddy Posted Image. I'd email Edgar at edgar@rainbowequus.com, he is very very good at returning emails. Pablito would be an excellent choice. Are your looking to breed a dressage prospect or a jumper prospect?

Starr Vaughn Equestrian has just purchased Donnerweis GGF and he is quite lovely!!!!!!! I'm seriously looking at him for next year's breeding. He is very much my mare's type. When crossing WB to Arabian you really need to look at type. Breeding type to type will get you a better foal overall. Meaning, Arabians in general should be bred to the more modern type of WB.

Iron Spring has some lovely stallions. I personally like Sir Sinclair & Contango (sire of Ravel). Are you planning on registering the foal with a WB registry? This could help in your decision making.

Posted Image

Copyright 2011

Posted Image

#133 Tamcam

Tamcam

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,992 posts

Posted 28 October 2011 - 01:04 PM

Pablito? SO are you looking for jumpers?

I know offspring of several of the Iron Springs stallions. It all depends on what you want. Some great dressage sires. Some stallions that are jumping lines.

Pablito has sired some nice dressage horses and many of the jumpers could be very good as at dressage - although he is mostly a jumper producer. His sire Pablo has a very high dressage index.

Posted Image

Copyright 2011

Posted Image

#134 allanglos

allanglos

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 29 October 2011 - 09:25 PM

Patience, I just thought you'd like to have the honor of mentioning him Posted Image.

I think its important to keep an open eye out for ALL Arabian stallions when breeding for sport. Since this breed doesn't have a system for determining any sport discipline breeding programs. Many Arabians are very suited to produce a dressage or jumper prospect. I have found that many of the crabbet, polish, russian, spanish & old egyptian lines are quite nice and will offer a lot to a warmblood mare. Mortazavi Farm in Lincoln, CA has been producing some very nice sport horse that are just now getting into the arena under saddle. Akdar Brins is their stallion, he's SE with very good bone, hooves and correct in his gaits. Plus, he's very good sized at 15.1+. His foals are all taller than their dams. They are very sweet, trainable and super easy to handle. Wish I had a TB or Hano mare to breed to him.

My personal list for breeding to a WB mare:

Magic Aulrab - has a Hano cross foal due in 2012 (can't wait to see this one!)
Akdar Brins
Magic Domino AHS
RR Gar-sun
IXL Noble Express
Golden Essence
Bonne Vivant+++/ (could be a very nice cross with a Hano mare!)

I would also like to add, but haven't seen them in person
Cardsharp
Saroriusz

I would add VMA Khaphur Khopi and Mojave Kid, as both are doing very well in the show ring, and were our top two SHN Payback stallions at SHNs this year (Mojave Kid Champ and Khopi Res Champ).
Email me

The Inverted Y
National Champion Anglo Arabians since 1977

www.allanglos.net

#135 HGEsquire

HGEsquire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,032 posts
  • Interests:I treasure my children, all my grandchildren and of course my dear husband Robert. I place high value on my family and are endeared to our horses and good friends. What else is there????

Posted 30 October 2011 - 08:02 AM

Hands down Mojave Kid...he truly is the real deal. Watched him up close and personal, relaxed walking in the ring, be presented, and just being him. No BS in this boys promotion ~ he IS what they say he IS! Video also taken of him at this years SHN's that is public on our page. With the walk being THE most important gate and rightfully so, he hands down had the BEST walk of all the horses I seen go, regardless of age or sex.

Denise Gainey

HG Esquire+, Rated 'E' for EVERYONE
Gainey Cornerstone Arabians & Sport Horses on Facebook

Where Quality & Friendship Matter!

#136 mgilnh2o

mgilnh2o

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 277 posts
  • Interests:Recreational riding, eventing, dressage, trail, showmanship, western pleasure, and equitation classes.

Posted 30 October 2011 - 10:58 AM

I raised a foal by Pablito out of an Irish Draught x TB mare I used to own (raised the foal for the people I sold her to). The mare had a foal for me by a Selle Francais stallion, so I was able to personally view her produce by two extremely different stallions. The Pablito foal was VERY refined, especially coming from the (coarseish) mare. From what that one turned out like, I'd say he would cross very well with an arabian, probably adding bone and substance, along with a great loin/hip and canter. If my own arabian mare was bigger then her 13.3, Pablito is one I'd seriously consider for her, but his size is just too much for me to be comfortable with for her.

As for him being a jumper sire, well, my opinion is that most arabian mares are lacking in the walk and canter quality. A jumper HAS to have a GREAT canter, one with impulsion and "jump". I would rather breed to a stallion who can produce that quality of "jump" then one who is strictly dressage, because you have no doubts about the quality of the canter coming through. If you research the Hannoverian breeding programs, they frequently add a jumper bred stallion into the gene pool for thier dressage horses, to insure the quality of canter stays where it needs to be. And also, personally, I prefer to produce an "all around" type who can do both dressage and jump...so the jump factor is a deal breaker in stallion selection for my mares.

Edgar is wonderful to work with, his contracts are straightforward and there's no nonsense when dealing with this stallion owner. The foal's owners were so pleased with the whole breeding experience, which is huge for them being first timers to that.

Hope this helps!

Megan

I am owned by: Shadazon Moonlite (Gai Gallizon x Andegor Shadula)
and now Champagn Isabella (Heartz Dezire x Champagn Rose)

#137 mgilnh2o

mgilnh2o

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 277 posts
  • Interests:Recreational riding, eventing, dressage, trail, showmanship, western pleasure, and equitation classes.

Posted 30 October 2011 - 11:03 AM

darn double posts!

Megan

I am owned by: Shadazon Moonlite (Gai Gallizon x Andegor Shadula)
and now Champagn Isabella (Heartz Dezire x Champagn Rose)

#138 Tamcam

Tamcam

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,992 posts

Posted 30 October 2011 - 04:12 PM

I raised a foal by Pablito out of an Irish Draught x TB mare I used to own (raised the foal for the people I sold her to). The mare had a foal for me by a Selle Francais stallion, so I was able to personally view her produce by two extremely different stallions. The Pablito foal was VERY refined, especially coming from the (coarseish) mare. From what that one turned out like, I'd say he would cross very well with an arabian, probably adding bone and substance, along with a great loin/hip and canter. If my own arabian mare was bigger then her 13.3, Pablito is one I'd seriously consider for her, but his size is just too much for me to be comfortable with for her.

As for him being a jumper sire, well, my opinion is that most arabian mares are lacking in the walk and canter quality. A jumper HAS to have a GREAT canter, one with impulsion and "jump". I would rather breed to a stallion who can produce that quality of "jump" then one who is strictly dressage, because you have no doubts about the quality of the canter coming through. If you research the Hannoverian breeding programs, they frequently add a jumper bred stallion into the gene pool for thier dressage horses, to insure the quality of canter stays where it needs to be. And also, personally, I prefer to produce an "all around" type who can do both dressage and jump...so the jump factor is a deal breaker in stallion selection for my mares.

Edgar is wonderful to work with, his contracts are straightforward and there's no nonsense when dealing with this stallion owner. The foal's owners were so pleased with the whole breeding experience, which is huge for them being first timers to that.

Hope this helps!

I'm glad you mentioned the qualities of the Jumper breeding programs. Many would be surprised to find out that Sandro Hit comes from a very valued jumper family Posted Image.
I've always loved Pablito, wish I had the right Arabian mare to breed to him. Not surprised to hear he refined the mare, he is often used for that purpose. His sire Pablo is one of the top refining stallions in WB breeding. I almost had the opportunity to lease a Pablito daughter (she sold with her foal), my idea was to cross her with Magic Aulrab. Still have that idea on the back burner, as I think Pablito would be an amazing cross with Arabian blood.

Edgar has a couple of other boys that work very well with Arabian mares: Escudo II, Rubignon, Pablo & Landkoenig have all been bred to Arabians with great results. His new stallion, Wild Dance, has my attention too!

Posted Image

Copyright 2011

Posted Image

#139 NIECE

NIECE

Golden Oak Arabians

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,248 posts
  • Interests:Anything I deem fun!!!!

Posted 04 November 2011 - 08:18 PM

Hope this helps!

Very thoughtful post. I echo the comment on Edgar. He does make himself easily available if you have any questions.

I have a Hanoverian mare I will breed to an approved Hanoverian stallion in 2012. Edgar was willing to give me recommendations based on my goals and what would service me best in the future going forward.

Denise

Visit our website

Aurelius GOA (Magic Aulrab X Proberry Bey) 2011 sabino chestnut colt Sold

#140 Tamcam

Tamcam

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,992 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 11:52 AM

Continuing the "walk, canter" theme. I have been a fan of this stallion for awhile and LOVE him!!!!!! Extremely free in the shoulder and his canter, well... OUT OF THIS WORLD!

Enjoy! Rock Forever NRW

Posted Image

Copyright 2011

Posted Image