Photo
- - - - -

Saddle help!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
16 replies to this topic

#1 thealishamin

thealishamin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 24 January 2010 - 07:47 PM

Hello!

I am posting for a friend who is having trouble finding a dressage saddle to fit her half-saddlebred who has little to no withers. To my knowledge she has tried a Bates, Custom Saddlery, WOW, Zaldi, and a Kieffer. Every saddle seems to slip to the point she is not comfortable riding. Any suggestions?

Thank you!!!!

Posted Image

#2 Tamcam

Tamcam

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,917 posts

Posted 24 January 2010 - 08:22 PM

Hello!

I am posting for a friend who is having trouble finding a dressage saddle to fit her half-saddlebred who has little to no withers. To my knowledge she has tried a Bates, Custom Saddlery, WOW, Zaldi, and a Kieffer. Every saddle seems to slip to the point she is not comfortable riding. Any suggestions?

Thank you!!!!

HDR makes an extremely wide tree that fits the no withers flat backed horses fairly well. I have a Paris and its pretty comfortable for me too. I'm a total saddle snob and I would not have tried this saddle if not for the saddle fitter that brought the saddle along - very nice saddle for the money. My trainer has also given it a nod of approval and that is no small feat.

Also try a non slip saddle pad - they are amazing!!!!

Posted Image

Copyright 2011

Posted Image

#3 kathy s.

kathy s.

Advanced Member

• ABN Supporter
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,195 posts

Posted 24 January 2010 - 08:24 PM

I LOVE your stallion!! I have a plan to get great pics of him in the Spring. Better get him ready,gf! Thanks for your help yesterday. Nina is sore but she said ZZ did so much better today. Let's plan on doing it again SOON....Love ya
Kathy
We can't afford a government so indifferent to the people it pretends to serve

Posted Image

Posted Image Copyright 2011

Posted Image

Home of Independence Dey (America V+ (x Huckleberry Bey+++) x Sa-Abbi (x Bay-Abi++))

#4 Dreamcatcher

Dreamcatcher

Advanced Member

• ABN Supporter
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,236 posts

Posted 25 January 2010 - 08:27 AM

Hello!

Thank you!!!!

Thornhill makes a wide tree for no withered horses, fit my mutton withered QH no problem. But, I have NEVER found a saddle that wouldn't slide right around him because he was as round as he was wide.

I saw these pads at USN, and am wanting one of the western ones. They offer good support and I totally could not get it to move, ergo saddle stayed up where it belongs.

Ridezcool saddlepad

Pat Lowe

#5 maryjo

maryjo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,411 posts

Posted 25 January 2010 - 08:54 AM

I have three Frank Baines saddles. They come in a variety of widths.

Or have her go to http://www.trumbullmtn.com/ use the instructions for doing a trace and get their recommendations. They also do trials.
MaryJo

#6 mandi_moo

mandi_moo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 225 posts

Posted 25 January 2010 - 09:23 AM

I was just talking to a saddle fitter and Thornhills Vienna II Dressage Saddle. She said many arab people love this saddle. It has a hoop tree which I guess can be better for wider horses in some cases. You can give her thier website The Saddlefitter they have a couple of different brands and price ranges. I recently bought a Klimke Miller Dressage saddle for my Half Saddlebred that I just had checked due to some people on the forum thinking the fit wasn't right from some pictures I posted. I was upset; because saddles can be very frustrating! The saddle fitter said that it fit well and was nice and balanced and the gullet width was good. This saddle is so comfortable to me and I found it for a great price. So it might be a brand worth looking at too. Someone on this forum also mentioned Duett was a good brand for wider horses. Good Luck to your friend!

Best Wishes!

Mandolin LOA+++/
2010 Reg 3 Top Five HA Hunter Pleasure AAOTR 18 & Over
2010 Reg 3 Top Five HA Hunter Pleasure AATR
***2009 DAHA Highpoint HA Grand Champion***
***2009 DAHA Highpoint HA SHIH Champion***
***2009 DAHA Highpoint HA Halter Mares Champion***
***2009 DAHA Highpoint HA English Pleasure Champion***

JDM Pietra
***2009 DAHA Highpoint PB Hunter Pleasure Champion***
2009 Reg 2 Top Five PB Hunter Pl AAOTR 18-35
2009 Reg 3 Top Five PB Hunter Pl AAOTR 18-39

#7 maryjo

maryjo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,411 posts

Posted 25 January 2010 - 09:47 AM

Is this person near a saddle fitter that could come out and try a variety of saddles?
MaryJo

#8 zai

zai

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 767 posts

Posted 01 February 2010 - 03:23 PM

Is this person near a saddle fitter that could come out and try a variety of saddles?

Some good saddle suggestions here and the fitter is always a good idea. I found the Barnsby non-slip pad to be really helpful and if desperate you could always consider a foregirth. We used my coach's old Schleese foregirth for a while and once the mare's shoulder musculature developed a bit, we didn't need it any more. Not all foregirths are made the same however and the cheaper ones put too much pressure on the top of the withers. Our challenge was to free up our mare's shoulders and keep the saddle back and the temporary use of the foregirth really seemed to help.

#9 ferio

ferio

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 437 posts

Posted 01 February 2010 - 04:05 PM

wide tree Passier!
Proud owner of the grey arabian stallion TS Eliot!
rollingmeadowfarm@yahoo.com

#10 Luminosity

Luminosity

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 03 February 2010 - 07:47 AM

Hello!

Thank you!!!!

Horses are a great relief for stress & depression

Fire++/ (*Nabor x Bur Ann)

LUMINOSITY

Emkay Heather (Amerigo x BurZelia)