Photo

SHOE and THEIR SUB's-- what do you use?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
7 replies to this topic

#1 haycat

haycat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 08 January 2010 - 10:50 PM

Just wondering if anyone out there has tried alternatives to the common ol' metal shoe?? Especially interested in the VetTech "liquid shoe". Keep seeing their advert. in AERC. Will try to find the link to their site and youtube video (late right now and about to go to bed). Around where I live there a lot of road riding on hard black top between the house and any grass (what I call trails.lol) Anyways they looked really neat for someone who didn't want shoes 24/7, but some protection for frequent treks down the black top. My mares feet are awesome right now, so I'd like to go the prevention route and keep them that way. Bought some Epona shoes and plan on trying those in the next few weeks.... tips from any one who has used them? How they held up? I plan on going to a ride in a pretty rocky area in the next few months and will certianly need <u>something</u>????

#2 Roze

Roze

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,213 posts

Posted 09 January 2010 - 06:05 PM

Tried Epona shoes, they need to be nailed on to assure they stay on other than that I liked them. I know there is some stuff from KC LaPierre that my friend who rides endurance uses.

Roze Arabians Ltd.
Straight Egyptians, Straight Performance

Amer Azhaar
(Laheeb Al Nasser x Dorian Binthadidi)
2011 Straight Egyptian Stallion

Nile Roze+
(Ansata Nile Bay x LM Bint Fakher)
2001 Straight Egyptian Mare

Aroze to Nobility
(Aspecial Ali x Noble Karama)
2005 Straight Egyptian Gelding

Escapade SHF
(Scapa x The Aurora)
2009 Straight Egyptian Gelding

Mehdi Amir RZ
(Masada Mazal x Nile Roze+)
2013 Straight Egyptian Colt

www.RozeArabians.com

#3 ridetowin

ridetowin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,934 posts

Posted 09 January 2010 - 06:19 PM

http://www.vettec.com/65/index.htm

I have used all of their prodcuts on my gelding with the exception to the "Adhere" liquid shoe. I love their products, long lasting, not expensive, etc. Here is an example of the Sil Pak being used on my gelding. Great product!!

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_0764.JPG

Sonya

"If slaughterhouses had glass walls, there would be more vegetarians"

#4 Runswithhorses

Runswithhorses

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 438 posts

Posted 10 January 2010 - 06:47 PM

I LOVE the Equithotics. A lot of farriers balk at them, but fortunately, I can put them on myself. I had trouble with the Eponas. The blue gel thing in the shoe came loose and was a pain. I am a fan of the ShockTamer pads and have had great success using them with the EDSS sole pack. The soles stayed healthy and kept their cup.
Government is not the answer, it is the problem.

#5 ridetowin

ridetowin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,934 posts

Posted 10 January 2010 - 06:51 PM

http://www.renegadeh....com/index.html

A friend of mine has these renegade boots and swears by them!!! she does long distance riding :)
Sonya

"If slaughterhouses had glass walls, there would be more vegetarians"

#6 Mystic Rose

Mystic Rose

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,392 posts

Posted 10 January 2010 - 07:53 PM

I still just use regular ole steel shoes on my endurance horses. However - have lots of friends with boots on theirs - and basically - it is trial and error!! A couple prefer teh Easy boot Epics, some liek the original Easy boots best - some love the Renegades. It seems to just be which ones work for your horses hoof shape/style of moving etc.... the best.
Good luck! The hoofware search seems to be a lot like the great saddle search.... always ongoing!

Jennifer Whittaker
http://www.MysticRoseArabians.com or find us on FB under Mystic Rose Arabians
Home of: Summer Saga+ (Massar El Sabbah x Summer Savannah) - proven high mileage endurance stallion and SHIH Champion.
SHN Payback Nominated, SCID and CA negative.  Sire of Regional Champions in Endurance/SHIH/SHUS and winning open dressage horses!

#7 haycat

haycat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 12 February 2010 - 03:57 PM

Hopefully this makes sense. I got my wisdom teeth taken out earlier today and am still a bit ..er...woozie.

Wow, thanks for the response!! Have been swamped and haven't had much time to post, but have been thinking shoes. In the winter it's too wet here to do anything but arena ride, so just go barefoot. Figure I'll put shoes on in March. I've got the Eponas (ordered a while back), but still have to find a farrier who will put them on. Mine balks at them. After those I'll have to decide wether to go with something that can be put on and taken off, or something glue on that will hold. Everyone seems pretty certain that Eponas need to be nailed. In our Texas mud (more like gumbo) anything loose will be sucked right off. I really don't want to go the nail on route permintly. My oldest gelding, 28, wears nail on shoes 24/7 as he's gotten tender footed in his old age (cushings). They have really re-shaped his feet and not for the better : (
Has anyone ever had problems with the Easy Boots/Renagades rubbing blisters, especially in sand? I stoped wrapping my horses legs as the sand was causign problems. Thats stuff gets EVERYWHERE.

#8 haycat

haycat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 12 February 2010 - 04:11 PM

Ridetowin: Thats really good to hear! Right now the vettechs sound very good... I really like that I could put them on myself. Not much could go wrong!

The equithotics look really interesting. I love that they can be shaped. How long/many miles do they last for you ? A lot of farriers around here balk at anything but steele shoes too. Everytime I start looking hoof/shodding stuff I swear I'll just go to farrier school - just as soon as I get them time. lol.

I LOVE the Equithotics. A lot of farriers balk at them, but fortunately, I can put them on myself. I had trouble with the Eponas. The blue gel thing in the shoe came loose and was a pain. I am a fan of the ShockTamer pads and have had great success using them with the EDSS sole pack. The soles stayed healthy and kept their cup.