Photo

Need help finding a reining trainer!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
19 replies to this topic

#1 KismetLover

KismetLover

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts

Posted 21 May 2009 - 04:58 PM

My mare was sent of for hunter pleasure training, but I've realized neither one of us is happy in it. Before I got her she had been sent off briefly for some very beginner reining training. I think she would be good at it and I'd like to try it with her. Can someone recommend a good trainer for me? I am close to Huntsville, Alabama and the closer the trainer is the better.

Also, is there a big difference between stock breed reining and Arabian reining? Will I need a trainer that specializes in Arabians?
Lawren

#2 tiki-bird

tiki-bird

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 941 posts

Posted 21 May 2009 - 05:26 PM

I've had these questions myself. I am not too far from you, in Middle TN, and I have recently learned of a few reining trainers (non-Arabian) in my area. I've wondered about the pros and cons of going outside of the breed. I'm thinking the biggest hurdle is getting past the Arabian stigma.

Preserving the bloodline of *Lotnik, WWII Prize of War

Author of Tennessee's Arabian Horse Racing Heritage

#3 LBlonshine

LBlonshine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 21 May 2009 - 05:44 PM

If you guys are interested in an Arabian Trainer that does reining - check into my trainer, Christine Johnston at Iron Horse Farms www.iron-horse-farms.com. She is in GA, but totally worth the distance!!

Libby
Libby Blonshine
Solstice Arabians
'Serious Fun, Serious Competition'
Haslett, MI

#4 dragon

dragon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,068 posts

Posted 21 May 2009 - 08:12 PM

Eddie Ralston - Oklahoma

#5 siiamese

siiamese

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,833 posts

Posted 22 May 2009 - 01:57 PM

most stock horse guys will not "bother" with arabs for reining - - mostly because they do not show at the AHA shows but at the NRHA shows. here is a link to the arabian reining assoc................ http://www.arha.net/
for sure, you want to find a trainer that specializes in working western and reining - it makes a huge difference in how the horse & the rider will learn and progress. plus these people can evaluate the horse for you and let you know within 30 - 60 days if it is really capable of doing this event. I would suggest contacting some of the better known reining trainers and asking them for names of people in your area. I used John O'Hara and found him very knowlegeable - - also Eddie Ralston.

#6 elitearab

elitearab

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,461 posts

Posted 22 May 2009 - 04:42 PM

I agree that most NRHA trainers are not interested in showing at AHA shows unless you have a Scottsdale futurity prospect but I know quite a few that will and have trained arabs for reining circuit shows for their clients to show. A friend of ours has a trainer that actually purchased a couple prospects for Scottsdale. He has his QH stallion in training with anther NRHA trainer that showed at Scottsdale and at Nationals. If you want to have a trainer show your horse I would say stick with arab trainers, if you want to have a horse to show yourself I'd go with an open trainer who is close by and have them give you lessons as well. smile.gif
www.elitearabians.com

Come visit us to see the farm and horses for sale. We are selling the farm and disbursing all but a few of our horses. Prices are super low and all offers will be considered. A good home more important than price!

#7 KismetLover

KismetLover

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts

Posted 22 May 2009 - 05:27 PM

I do not want a trainer to show my horse for me, so should I be ok going with a stock breed trainer? I just want someone to teach my horse and I reining. I would prefer to send her to an Arab trainer but it seems like that might not be an option. I will need as much training to this as she will because reining is all new to me and I can not drive many hours every week to go take lessons. I think the farthest I can send her is around middle TN. But thanks for the replies guys and if you thank of any more trainers please post them. smile.gif
Lawren

#8 SCVF_Legacy

SCVF_Legacy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 23 May 2009 - 07:00 AM

There is a trainer close to Auburn, AL that does reiners. Here is his website: http://www.twinlakes...m/services.html He has trained arabs in the past. Give him a shout. My sister sent a mare of hers to him and was very happy with the results.
Amy
Lord, keep your arm around my shoulders and your hand across my mouth!
Alpha Mare, Inc. Custom Show Garlands

#9 Zoomer

Zoomer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 550 posts

Posted 24 May 2009 - 06:34 PM

I work for Arabian reining trainer John O'Hara in Valley View Texas. He won the H/A Futurity this year at Scottsdale and has also been training my horses for about 5 years now. We have both QH and Arabians with him and I would like to share with you what I have seen in the NRHA reining world. Putting an Arabian in a QH reining trainers barn is generally a very hard experience for the horse. I would never do it. Way too harsh.
John understands how to train Arabians and H/A horses. He showed my purebred stallion to a regional championship last year and has done such a good job with him that my husband who has been riding reiners for about a year is now able to ride this horse and got a reserve and a TT in Scottsdale this year. Can't say enough about John as a horseman. Most of our clients are from out of state but trust John with their horses without any concerns for the welfare of the horses. And they definitely get trained. I guess that is why even in this economy we have a full barn (30 stalls) and have a waiting list. He is great for amateur owners. johnoharaperformancehorses.com

#10 SCVF_Legacy

SCVF_Legacy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 05:50 AM

Here is another barn that has an ad listed on the allbreedpedigree site for training:

for those of you who might be in Alabama or Tennessee. 2 professional trainers to start your horses right. we take all breeds and have experience in cow horses, barrel horses, hunter jumper, racing and trail. one of our trainers is a licensed race horse trainer. We have a 1/2 mile training track. access to a covered arena and trails. young ones started slow using more natural methods. feed, hay and upkeep included in price. price depends on type of horse and purpose. fee's starting at $350 for basic training. i am a licensed race horse trainer and have barrel raced under Martha Josey. the other trainer is a guy from Fayetteville TN he has multiple wins on reining and cow horses. We have partnered up and have had alot of success so far!
Brooke
you can call Brooke at 256-497-0030 or email Brooke.carpenter@gmail.com

I don't know this group, but might be worth a look? They are in the Ardmore, AL, about 20 min from Huntsville and 20 min from Athens.
Amy
Lord, keep your arm around my shoulders and your hand across my mouth!
Alpha Mare, Inc. Custom Show Garlands