Photo
- - - - -

Dressage saddles - Your Fav's and why Please

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
40 replies to this topic

#31 Sunkat

Sunkat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 461 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 04:07 PM

Very interesting information. Thanks for the input.

#32 S&D Sport Horse

S&D Sport Horse

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,034 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 05:34 PM

I gotta go with Cold Spring on this one .... LOVE my Albion!!! I sat in a bazillion saddles at the tack shop until one of the sales ladies said "Sarah why are you wasting your time? You're the Albion girl!! Everything you sit in that you like is an Albion." I acknowleded her true statement and admitted I was waiting for a used one that would fit my horse and me to magically appear. She said good luck with that not many used Albion's on the market. So I finally broke down and had one custom made for my mare .... and have never looked back, we both love it. There are different Albion's out there, I believe mine is the HSK model. Some of the lower end Albions may not be as comfortable, kind of like comparing a Chevy to a Cadillac, both are made by GMC but you get the picture. Also be careful when purchasing a used dressage saddle as so many are made for the warmbloods (with their more uphill build), these saddles may contain a "wedge" for lack of a better word in the back of the saddle to compensate for the uphill warmbloods. Put one of these on an already slightly croup high arab and watch that saddle slide forward!!!
Home of:
Bandos Las Ladd (*Bandos PASB x B Lovely ~ *Aladddinn) 1988 Grey Stallion
Alken (Ganges x Alkina) 2005 Black Bay Colt
Aabsolutely Five Star (Aabsolut x FS Evita ~ RD Five Star) 2007 Chestnut Colt

and their women (to name a few):
Willatra MSC (Traditio x Willa)
CR Milliegramm+ (Monogramm x CR Wind Moriah ~ Muslin & Sotep)
Wojllatra (Wojslaw x Willatra MSC)
FS Evita (RD Five Star x Patraska)
Wronica Lech (Lech PASB x *Wrona ~ Namiet)
Naproshka (*Procent x Nikiska ~ Nasmeshnik)
Miss Independence SF (RD Five Star x Carillon CC ~ Moment & Muscat)

www.sdsporthorse.com

#33 S&D Sport Horse

S&D Sport Horse

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,034 posts

Posted 18 September 2010 - 05:38 PM

Oops, had a look at my saddle the other day and it is the SLK, probably no such thing as a HSK .... don't know where I got that brain fart from LOL!!! Anyway, it fits my mare well and she loves it.
Home of:
Bandos Las Ladd (*Bandos PASB x B Lovely ~ *Aladddinn) 1988 Grey Stallion
Alken (Ganges x Alkina) 2005 Black Bay Colt
Aabsolutely Five Star (Aabsolut x FS Evita ~ RD Five Star) 2007 Chestnut Colt

and their women (to name a few):
Willatra MSC (Traditio x Willa)
CR Milliegramm+ (Monogramm x CR Wind Moriah ~ Muslin & Sotep)
Wojllatra (Wojslaw x Willatra MSC)
FS Evita (RD Five Star x Patraska)
Wronica Lech (Lech PASB x *Wrona ~ Namiet)
Naproshka (*Procent x Nikiska ~ Nasmeshnik)
Miss Independence SF (RD Five Star x Carillon CC ~ Moment & Muscat)

www.sdsporthorse.com

#34 Windtriste Cartouche

Windtriste Cartouche

New

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 24 October 2010 - 06:37 PM

I have a Neidersuss Symphonie that is about 14 years old. I use it on my Polish gelding. I have also put it on a Fresian/foxtrotter cross as well as a couple of Egyptian Arabs.
My favorite dressage saddle that I have ever ridden in was an Arthur Kottas. My friend had one for her Swedish mare. I LOVED that saddle. I have been toying with buying one, but they seem to hold value pretty well because the prices I've found have been more than I want to spend. Good luck!

#35 ms raven

ms raven

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 08 November 2010 - 10:58 PM

I've tried a few until I discovered the Collegiate Jessica model which fits my mare perfectly! Unlike most other saddles, it does not interfere with her shoulder, does not slip forward. The tree is the correct shape to accommodate her wide wither and the panels are wide, flat and correctly shaped her back. I also like it because it is comfortable and balanced for me. :)

#36 Ann7

Ann7

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 413 posts

Posted 09 November 2010 - 05:23 AM

I use the treeless Startrekk dressage saddle. It is very comfortable for the horse and the rider...and fully adjustable. You cannot tell from looking at the saddle that it is treeless. I use to sell these saddles until the economy went bad. They can now be purchased from Saddling Solutions.
Ann

For by grace are you saved...Ephesians 2:8
Bellagio AF, WH Scar Face, Annabelle BF, TRA Monkeina, Maximus BF, Autina, JA Troubadour, JA Unforgettable, TA Zeus

Rock Hill SC Mental Health Counselor providing Equine Therapy

www.ann-clark.com

#37 Remali

Remali

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 05 December 2010 - 07:48 PM

I tried (and owned) several brands, but by far the best dressage saddle for comfort and fit were the County saddles, I had a County Competitor and a County WB. Both fit my horse perfectly (she was wide) and placed my leg and seat so nicely, not to mention they were the most comfortable saddles I had ever ridden in.

#38 arabs4ever

arabs4ever

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 06 December 2010 - 11:30 PM

I recommend Lovatt and Ricketts. Wonderful saddles for arabians and morgans. The saddles come with an adjustable stirrup bar which is very useful. Other good ones are bates, and county.

#39 fireweedak

fireweedak

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 07 December 2010 - 09:55 AM

I really like my Passier GT. It's going on 25 years old and is in great condition :) I love it for trail riding and arena work.

#40 BlueRidgeDreamFarm

BlueRidgeDreamFarm

New

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 07 December 2010 - 01:31 PM

Greetings all! I been considering Dressage saddles and am in the market for one. The big problem is that it needs to fit an assortment of different breeds and shapes. I'm thinking that a saddle with an adjustable tree may be the answer. Any input on these types of saddles? Also, another big problem is that I have short lower legs and most the Dressage saddles I've tried have been waay too long in the width and length of the flaps. I really want a Close Contact dressage saddle without any knee rolls. Used ones are Hard to find! I want it to feel like I'm riding bareback

I was in the same situation - a short person, different horses to ride & I don't like much saddle.
I did end up getting a saddle custom made for me by Centuar. But they come up on Ebay used, but they are all custom made so you need to evaluate the saddle - like the tree width, knee rolls. If you get the number of the saddle for sale, call Centaur Saddlery & they'll tell you the special features of the saddle. My dressage saddle is my saddle of choice for trail riding, hunter paces, ring work - I love it. I have a Norwegian Fjord-very wide flat withers, an SE with wide withers & an SE with good withers. For better withered horses I put the Supracor pad against the skin under the saddle pad/saddle. The supracor pad has little air holes all thru it, great for endurance work & the honey comb construction makes it comfortable for the horse. I'm in VA & so is the saddle maker which was another plus for my situation, if I have any issues, he's just an hour away.