Photo
- - - - -

Dressage saddles - Your Fav's and why Please

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
40 replies to this topic

#21 Five Bays

Five Bays

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 23 April 2009 - 08:41 PM

Has anyone tried a saddle from the Arabian Saddle Co in scottsdale?

I'm going to google Albion.

Dave

#22 mmfarabian

mmfarabian

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,889 posts

Posted 27 April 2009 - 06:20 AM

Very timely thread! I have been trying to find the "perfect" saddle, too! I have been through a few and can't get a good fit yet! I have tried County Competiter, Collegiate, Rembrant, now I am looking for Arabian saddle co that I can afford! I believe they have the right panels and are wide enough to fit flater backs properly. I would love to know from any one that has ridden in one if the stirrups are hung in the right place. I don't like it when the stirrups are hung to far forward. Just a personal peave of mine wink.gif
Thanks to all of you have have given great feed back on the saddles that are working for you and on those that didn't!
Cathy
My heart is in my horses, my horses are in my heart.

#23 maryjo

maryjo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,658 posts

Posted 27 April 2009 - 06:33 AM

QUOTE (Five Bays @ Apr 23 2009, 10:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Has anyone tried a saddle from the Arabian Saddle Co in scottsdale?

I'm going to google Albion.

Dave

The leather quality is good.

As far as balance and fit, I don't know. I don't know any top FEI riders that use them.
MaryJo

#24 Jetstream

Jetstream

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 28 April 2009 - 02:09 PM

I own a passier Grand Gilbert, 17.5 seat with a wide tree, and I believe I got it with extra long flaps, because my legs are way too long for the normal length.
It's definately the best quality, most comfotable saddle I have ever ridden in. It is a bit on the expensive side though, but, the passier saddles last forever, literally. One of the other clients at the barn has a passier she's owned for 20+ years, and it's still in perfect condition.

The other saddle that I really like is Kieffer. It's very comfotable, fits most horses, and isn't too expensive. Most of their models are very nice.

#25 Mama Mousekewitz

Mama Mousekewitz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 804 posts

Posted 30 July 2010 - 04:29 PM

So I'm looking into purchasing a dressage saddle this fall (when it cools off some and we can back to work!).

I'm looking at Schneiders because they do the financing/leasing option, which would be much easier on our pocket book (even though you end up paying more in the long run, LOL!)

They have the HDR buffalo saddle that got a good review on that reviews website. And it's very reasonably priced. I would like to have something nice and deep seated to make me feel nice and secure (being a mom has made me into a big wuss! LOL). Any suggestions for a deep seat?

From what you all are saying it sounds like most Arabians need a pretty wide tree, I found that out when I bought my western saddle for my old gelding, he needed a super wide tree to be comfortable. I'm sure Mia will be the same, my western saddle seems to fit her pretty well...

Thanks for all the input everyone!

Missy
Missy -- College Attending Working Mom of Three!
Horse-Mom to BP Tali Reese
(Tali Sahib x Bint Tireesa)
2002 Black Purebred Arabian Gelding

#26 Five Bays

Five Bays

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 30 July 2010 - 10:10 PM

I bought a Schleese Elite for my Arab mare that I ride on the trail. It has worked really well. She has had no back pain due to the very wide gullet.

I ordered a second Schleese for my younger mare. I should have it in September.

Dave

#27 felina

felina

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,337 posts

Posted 31 July 2010 - 03:01 AM

I like the Kieffers as well and I'm a County snob. I've seen County's fit some pretty hard to fit horses and they are fairly adjustable. :)

I just wish my pocketbook was as adjustable. :(
Look back on our struggle for freedom,
Trace our present day's strength to its source;
And you'll find that man's pathway to glory
Is strewn with the bones of a horse.
Anonymous

#28 elitearab

elitearab

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,482 posts

Posted 31 July 2010 - 07:47 AM

I have an older Kieffer and I like it. I have loaned it to a friend of my daughter's for show hack for the past couple years and it fits her mare as well as both my geldings.

My daughter rides in a Crosby Prix St. George, They are both very close contact saddles, with no much for knee rolls. I used to ride in a Thornhill and liked that as well.
www.elitearabians.com

Come visit us to see the farm and horses for sale. We are selling the farm and disbursing all but a few of our horses. Prices are super low and all offers will be considered. A good home more important than price!

#29 Jetstream

Jetstream

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 12:16 PM

Again, I'm going to promote Passier saddles! I don't know why more people in the arab world don't like them, mine fits my horse superbly!

#30 huntseat

huntseat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 593 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 04:06 PM

I recently bought the "Advantage" by Custom Saddlery. It is BY FAR the best saddle I've ever had the pleasure to sit in. It is one of the few high end fully adjustable/custom dressage saddles on the market. It puts me in the perfect, most balanced spot but it is not restrictive and still allows me to use my seat and legs effectively. My trainer and I are in agreement that I am riding much more effectively since getting the new saddle. The buffalo is SUPER soft yet very durable. It is going to last forever! The flocking is the softest I've ever felt and the panels are very soft and seem to shape themselves to my horse for a closer feel. I can't say enough good things about this saddle! The closest thing I can compare it to is the Hermes monoflap (easily twice as costly as the CS is new) I borrowed before buying the CS.

Look for them on ebay. You can find them used for MUCH less than they are new, and there are saddle fitters located all around the country who will come out and fit the saddle to your horse.

PROUD OWNER OF
August Melody
(August Bey V x Hear the Music by MS Santana)
Arabians: Everything else is just a horse