Photo
- - - - -

Dressage saddles - Your Fav's and why Please

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
40 replies to this topic

#1 No Fear

No Fear

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 08:34 PM

Greetings all! I been considering Dressage saddles and am in the market for one. The big problem is that it needs to fit an assortment of different breeds and shapes. I'm thinking that a saddle with an adjustable tree may be the answer. Any input on these types of saddles? Also, another big problem is that I have short lower legs and most the Dressage saddles I've tried have been waay too long in the width and length of the flaps. I really want a Close Contact dressage saddle without any knee rolls. Used ones are Hard to find! I want it to feel like I'm riding bareback, my favorite way to ride. Currently using a 20 year old original synthetic Wintec withl cloth like material. I love this saddle it feels like a padded bareback pad and is the only saddle my mare will tolerate without knasing of teeth. But so uggly, and not suitable for showing. So now I'm spending way too much time looking on ebay for that perfect saddle. Did find a Collegiate Intellect that looked promising, but have since learned that they don't hold up well to repeated use.UGH! I saw the Heather Moffett treeless, but they sure don't look close contact. Others I've considered are the Kieffer Wien DL Pro and Courbette. Please any suggestions and advice greatly appreciated. Thanks, Yvonne

#2 Graustarkian

Graustarkian

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,897 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 11:09 PM

I'm in the same pickle! Too funny, because I'm just beginning to think about hunting for a dressage saddle. The only dressage saddle I've really like was the older style Wintec Pro, but it caused a lot of back problems for my horse because the panels were so narrow. I've really liked the Albion Original Comfort, and it fits arabians quite well. Also, Barnsby saddles - the Luxus is quite close contact and Barnsby trees come in wide enough sizes to fit Arabians quite well (I currently make do with an all purpose Barnsby). I love the Stubben Tristan Special for being such a close contact saddle, but can't find one wide enough - my size 32 Tristan is supposed to be toward the wide range, but nowhere near wide enough to fit my horses. sad.gif I have never ridden in a Passier GG, but if I could find one in a wide enough (only see mediums) tree size, I'd buy one used - I can pretty much tell from the pictures I've seen of them that they're right up my alley.

Of course I can always find just what I think I'd like for me in a width that would work for my horses, but they're always out of my price range! wacko.gif
Kelly Brown

...flying, singing, writing, wierdo

#3 spike25

spike25

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,090 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 02:48 AM

I don't ride in dressage saddles very often and find the newer ones so "pouffy" that I am very uncomfortable! Someone came to try a horse and brought her older Crosby dressage saddle-OMG, talk about comfy! No pouff-close contact and nice! If I were into dressage, I would be hunting one of those down! I think Middleburg Tack Exchange had one similar when I was there last week.
Beth Thomas
Stone Hollow Sport Horses
Home of National, Regional and Class A Working hunters and sport horses!

#4 Danielle

Danielle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 08:12 AM

I love, love, love Kieffer dressage saddles, they are really comfortable, secure and usually do tend to fit just about any horse you put them on. Back in the day my trainer had one and sure enough it fit every horse it was ever laid upon (QHs, TBs, Appys, Arabs, NSHs, WBs) and when the vet/chiro/saddle fitter would come out and fit horses that was always the saddle that fit.
They are awesome! I really adore mine, whenever I'm out on the trail with it I end up galloping through the woods and across fields and jumping small logs because I feel so darn secure in it(I can't say that about any of my western saddles). Obviously it's great for flat work too, and I could sit trot in that thing all day long!
Also note, I have never ridden in a Kieffer that is younger than 10 years old. I believe the one I have now is about 20 and by god it looks great and is still really supple.

-Danielle

#5 Tamcam

Tamcam

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,918 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 08:52 AM

Good topic! I've spent the last 6 weeks trying out saddles for my wide little Arabian. The new Kieffer's are very comfy. The Bates saddles (wintec, Isabel) are not wide enough! The Isabel is a great saddle for horses that lack withers, but if you have a really wide flat back, the widest tree isn't wide enough. The Stubben's are lovely and I LOVED mine, but again not wide enough for my current mount. Albion makes a super wide tree and seems to fit Arabians well, they just don't fit me well. Custom Saddlery also makes a nice wide tree, but I had to wait 6 months to get the saddle and then it didn't fit the horse so they had to redo the saddle - to make a long story short their customer service is very lacking and when I'm spending 3k on a saddle... Soooooo after trying out many many saddles the best one that fit my pony is and HDR. CRAZY! I would have never even tried one (I've been a brand snob). Great saddle! Very balanced, puts me is a great position & fits my horse! And my trainer even liked it. The best part.... it was extremely reasonable in price! Who knew?

Posted Image

Copyright 2011

Posted Image

#6 lkirby

lkirby

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,480 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 09:32 AM

Tamcam, what does HDR stand for??

th_atrot.gif

Lorna G. Kirby, PE

When you have gone through fire, you won't fade in the sun!!

#7 Graustarkian

Graustarkian

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,897 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 09:37 AM

Henri De Rivel
Kelly Brown

...flying, singing, writing, wierdo

#8 Tamcam

Tamcam

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,918 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 09:40 AM

QUOTE (lkirby @ Apr 17 2009, 10:32 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Tamcam, what does HDR stand for??

th_atrot.gif

Lorna G. Kirby, PE

I think its Henri De Rivel. I believe they are french made saddles. Anyway, it a very nice saddle. Just bought a hunter saddle too! Yep, that's right! For the price of the saddle that I gave back to the dealer I bought 2 of these saddles, plus a new Isabel dressage coat!

I think mine is the Paris.

Posted Image

Copyright 2011

Posted Image

#9 Zhini528

Zhini528

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 09:53 AM

You can also check out horsetackreview.com. There are tons of dressage saddles listed, I have used this sight to look up everything from saddles to boots to horse supplies! Goodluck with your hunt!
*Have a great day and happy riding!!!*
~Shana

Proudly Owned by

MF Ferdous, 2008 Anglo Arabian Filly

#10 Bastet

Bastet

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 10:13 AM

For me, I really like the Klimke-Miller (the model that used to be sold by Miller's). I found it to be the most comfortable, gave me closer contact, and fits my horse well. My trainer had one she wouldn't part with so I tried many different saddles but never found one I liked better. Lucky for me I ended up holding out until I found one and for me, it was worth the wait smile.gif