Photo

Using Strain Pedigrees as a breeding tool

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
55 replies to this topic

#51 AuburnRose87

AuburnRose87

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 975 posts

Posted 30 January 2008 - 12:16 PM

Can someone tell me the strain of my mare? Auburn Alexia

#52 Marketing

Marketing

Heidi

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,043 posts

Posted 30 January 2008 - 01:41 PM

She traces to RODANIA
A desert bred Kehilet Ajuz mare of the strain of Ibn Rodan of the Roala, imp. England by the Blunts. Rodania was the founder of a great producing line. She herself bred also *Rose of Sharon, dam of *Rodan and the great sire, Rijm, and Champion Rosemary, dam of show stock and producers.

Posted Image

Copyright 2010

Heidi

TripleHfarm

BINT SAFIERA 2000 Bay mare
SHAMS EL BINA 2002 Bay mare
NAKHDA AL SHAIB 2004 Grey Gelding<---- AL
SIHR JAWHER 2006 Bay Stallion
NADEERAH ALIAH 2006 Bay mare
ZAHRAN HAMRAH 2006 Grey mare
IMANA 2006 bay mare
MALIK AL AASIF 2007 Grey Colt
AL RAZEEL 2010 Chestnut colt for sale
SKYLER the 1/2 Arabian pinto wonder horse

We reserve the banners in signatures for ABN's paying banner sponsors. We'd love to have you join sponsoring ABN in the coming year.

#53 Hamdani

Hamdani

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 17 December 2008 - 03:51 AM

QUOTE (Century Oak Arabians @ Sep 26 2006, 11:26 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It simply means that he is Koheilan Moradi by strain, coming through the tail female Sahara. Now, if that is the only line that is koheilan (Kuhaylan?) then he may not resemble his strain so much. If you have a horse that say is heavily Saqlawi bred through his pedigree but the tail female is Kuhaylan.. he will most likely look more Saqlawi than he does Kuhaylan though his strain would not change.

That's why it's important to look at the total strain pedigree and not just the tail female line to make determinations on how a horse might breed on smile.gif

I have to beg to differ on this point! There are occasions when a totally different strain will come through in individuals other than the "tail female" and /or the strain with the highest percentage throughout the pedigree.
I like to call it the "Working or Dominant "Strain.

For example; I have a mare that is Kehailieh Mimrieh in tail female, the majority of her pedigree is Kehailan(a little over 60%) She resembles her Saqlawi lines , though she only carries around 14% Saqlawi blood.

She was bred to a predominantly Kehailan Stallion of Dahman Tail female and has produced a filly of Seglawi type with the Dahman smoothness.

Does any one have a theory on this? Would love to continue this thread.

It's all very interesting and certainly enjoy reading all the posts regarding strains.

As you can see I named my stud after the Hamdani Strain

Mark
Hamdani Arabians
...Beautiful Athletes

#54 Avalondales

Avalondales

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 268 posts

Posted 18 January 2009 - 07:45 AM

Mark,

I have been meaning to reply to this post for a long while...I agree with you... The reason why may not be the same... As a breeder I am very facinated with strain breeding.. It must be the geneologist in me so pedigrees, strains, and bedouin history really catch my imagination and quite frankly I can spend days especially in the winter with papers and photos spread from one end of the house to the other...While I find it facinating, genetics play a very important part in the resulting foal... A strain is basically a definition of a last name... The mares were named after certain characteristics... Hadban strain was named after a mare with a flowing forelock.. Abbeyan for a profoundly flagged tail that would impede lost of her masters cloak...Others for the geographical area they were produced or the tribe that reared and valued them... I do believe what is said regarding a mare contributing 60% to the foal, but I don't believe it is genetic contribution, but the contribution of characteristics such as how to interact with people, how to interact with the herd, it might be a head flip, or a certain manner of trotting around the pasture at feeding time... The foal is always learning from their mother and that is where the influence continues after genetics have put the pieces of the puzzle together.. So, that is why you mare could be predominately of one strain, and by rule of tail female another, but actually representing a third... These situations happen very frequently... When I look at pedigrees and strains I look to the great grandparents (8) horses.. I look at sire lines and female lines.. It is interesting the difference in even 3/4 siblings that changes the configurations... I fear that in modern times the strain system may become obsolete and what will replace it is three types... Halter Type, Performance Type, and Sport Horse Type... It would be ashame to loose the tradition of the strain breeding system... Tracy
AVALONDALES EGYPTIAN ARABIANS
The Spirit of Ancient Egypt

The home of

SA Shaikh Al Sakr (Harakka X FA Maronique)
Ceasare (Sahlih X J Zaziza)
Bint Ishtar (Prince Ibn Shaikh X Shams El Ishtar)
Sara Al Badeia (Sugaa X Mariam Al Badeia)
Josephin Albadeia (Sugaa X Mariam Al Badeia)
B B Krystal (PVA Kariim X B B Crystali)
RSA Mara Moniet (TCP Rada Bazaz X Sonnys Sharaffa)
SA Almase Sarab (Harakka x Bint Ishtar) For Sale
AVA Amira El Sakr (SA Shaikh Al Sakr X Bint Ishtar)For Sale
AVA Chelsea Rose (SA Shaikh Al Sakr X Bint Ishtar)For Sale
AVA Ishaaq Al Haytham (SA Shaikh Al Sakr X Sara Al Badeia)
AVA Lilith (SA Shaikh Al Sakr X Josephin Al Badeia)
AVA Ibn Waas-No-De' (SA Shaikh Al Sakr X RSA Mara Moniet) For Sale
Please contact http://www.avalondal...abianhorses.com for information regarding any of the young stock we have listed for sale

Life isn't about having and getting, but being and becoming...

#55 Janek

Janek

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,168 posts

Posted 18 January 2009 - 08:15 AM

mellow.gif I've got a problem with our mares strains, couse there are some ancestors in their pedigree, like Milordka and Szweykowska, who have no strain at all. Help in finding their strain needed and really appreciated smile.gif.

"The horse, who is too precious and too beautiful to be ridden, is neither precious nor beautiful. It's simply called an impaired horse by merciful Allah."

old Bedouin proverb

#56 Hamdani

Hamdani

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 06 February 2009 - 02:18 AM

QUOTE (Avalondales @ Jan 19 2009, 01:45 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Mark,

I have been meaning to reply to this post for a long while...I agree with you... The reason why may not be the same... As a breeder I am very facinated with strain breeding.. It must be the geneologist in me so pedigrees, strains, and bedouin history really catch my imagination and quite frankly I can spend days especially in the winter with papers and photos spread from one end of the house to the other...While I find it facinating, genetics play a very important part in the resulting foal... A strain is basically a definition of a last name... The mares were named after certain characteristics... Hadban strain was named after a mare with a flowing forelock.. Abbeyan for a profoundly flagged tail that would impede lost of her masters cloak...Others for the geographical area they were produced or the tribe that reared and valued them... I do believe what is said regarding a mare contributing 60% to the foal, but I don't believe it is genetic contribution, but the contribution of characteristics such as how to interact with people, how to interact with the herd, it might be a head flip, or a certain manner of trotting around the pasture at feeding time... The foal is always learning from their mother and that is where the influence continues after genetics have put the pieces of the puzzle together.. So, that is why you mare could be predominately of one strain, and by rule of tail female another, but actually representing a third... These situations happen very frequently... When I look at pedigrees and strains I look to the great grandparents (8) horses.. I look at sire lines and female lines.. It is interesting the difference in even 3/4 siblings that changes the configurations... I fear that in modern times the strain system may become obsolete and what will replace it is three types... Halter Type, Performance Type, and Sport Horse Type... It would be ashame to loose the tradition of the strain breeding system... Tracy

Hi Tracy, many thanks for replying so informatively and my apologies for the late responce!
Yes I too believe that there are many factors which contribute to the resultant foal.
Strain, type of sire and dam and yes I also look back 6 generations when studying pedigrees to "try" to determine what the mating "might" be like......I say "try and might" as all the study in the world can't give you a definate picture of what you might end up with! lol
Like you say even full siblings can be very different.
It is fun trying though!
Colour can also bring in different characteristics, but I'm getting off track from strain breeding here (or am I?)

Since reading this thread I have been looking at and drawing up graphs of all my arabians' strains with the intention of a general comparison of horses with the same or similar percentages. I'm not sure that it will come to anything but worth a look at all the same.
Has anyone reading this done any comparisons like this? It would be fascinating to hear what you may have discovered.

I also fear that we are already breeding 3 different types of Arabians...(Halter, Performance and Sport)
Don't we have 1 standard of excellance to aspire to as breeders?
I recently looked at the results from one of our major Arabian shows (Australia)
These particular results were based on Sires progeny.....The number of succesful offspring over the course of the show.
The results were saddening but not completely unexpected.
The Stallions siring the greatest amount of Halter horses were in the bottom of the results/or not at all in the performance section. The Stallions siring the greatest amount of Performance horses were at the bottom of the list in the Halter section!
Arabians for me are the ultimate Allrounder or at least should be!

Strain breeding, a fascinating subject that the more I look into it the more questions I seem to find.
Mark
Hamdani Arabians
...Beautiful Athletes