Photo

Using Strain Pedigrees as a breeding tool

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
55 replies to this topic

#11 Pembroke

Pembroke

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 622 posts

Posted 26 September 2006 - 08:46 AM

Okay guys lets back track here for a moment, okay.

Not everyone out there even has a passing knowledge about strains and strain breeding so I am going to post some very general links to a few strain discriptions. Of course they will not cover all of the various strains but it is a place to start.

description of Kuhaylan and Hamdani
http://members.aol.com/NadaraDefs/WebPage/...#anchorkuhaylan

description of saqlawi and Abayyan
http://members.aol.com/NadaraDefs/WebPage/...l#anchorsaqlawi

description of dahman and hadban
http://members.aol.com/NadaraDefs/WebPage/...ml#anchordahman

description of the muniqi
http://members.aol.com/NadaraDefs/WebPage/...ml#anchormuniqi

a couple interesting articles
article by Carl Raswan
http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Ranch/5...dTypesWH43.html

article by Charles Craver
http://www.wiwfarm.com/CorrolariesOfStrain.html

Laura

My mare in my avatar is a Kuahylan Krush

#12 Century Oak Arabians

Century Oak Arabians

Century Oak Arabians

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,828 posts

Posted 26 September 2006 - 02:27 PM

Also like to recommend The Classic Arabian by Judith Forbis which is the book that not only got me interested in strains but in Egyptian horses and bloodlines. <_<
Guardian to:
Zandai Jasoor (Zandai Ibn Omar x Glorieta Saqlima) and Impress Rissala (Imtaarif x Zandai Om Roda)

Mental Meanderings Of A Barn Goddess

#13 Faith Hope Love Stables

Faith Hope Love Stables

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,784 posts

Posted 04 October 2006 - 07:57 PM

I think the most fascinating thing about Arabian pedigrees are the strains and learning what is what regarding them.

Available to Show/Breeder Home: Najm Al Din FHL (pending) Abayyan strain phenomenon sired by Rafaa'iq (ZT Faa'iz x Al Asail Aliraffa) and out of Maysunah Ahmar (Jasadd x Bishaarah)

#14 Barbara G

Barbara G

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 05 October 2006 - 01:33 PM

My gelding, BFA Regality (VP Regal Heir -- Saklawi I or Kuhlayan x BSA Latifa -- Dahmah Shahwaniyah) is Dahman Shawan in his female tail line. I traced his pedigree back for 10 generations and found that out of the 1024 horses, he has ancestors: 247 Kuhaylan; 213 Dahman; 195 Saklawi ; 87 Hadban; 34 Saklawi I/Kuhaylan; 32 Hamdani; 29 Abayyan; 22 Mu'niqui and 1 Rabdan and 161 of unknown strain.

I realize that I am not breeding, but I am interested in genetics purely for the sake of learning more about Arabians in general and my boy in particular. What would all those numbers mean in terms of his physical traits, personality, etc. My avatar is a fairly current picture of him.

Thanks for you help.
Barbara and Mercury
aka BFA Regality(VP Regal Heir x BSA Latifa)*Moatasim
I'm not a breeder, just a woman who is in love with her horse and wants to learn more....

#15 Nefis Sarri

Nefis Sarri

New

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 05 October 2006 - 02:48 PM

OK once again how does one check the strain of a none egyptian or egyptian related horses .. I'm just curious cause I've noticed on Al Shaqab site they een have strains for their egyptina related get my mare is a granddaughter of Ruminaja Ali out of a daughter of LBA Lode Star who is out of a Ruminaja Ali daughter
MarRoy International Arabians

Home of "Ivanna Do Things My Vay" LOL aka MarRoy Aja Sarri ( Pending)

Website is work in progress

HELLO
You have reached Computer Simpleton all our operators are out to lunch, so thank you for your patience and understanding ...If you are a glutton for punishment you can drop us a PM or a message.we will definately answer although you may regret that we ever did. ... Clueless in Port Hope, Ontario, Canada

#16 Avalondales

Avalondales

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 268 posts

Posted 05 October 2006 - 04:38 PM

Just a few clarifications on on strains... Mainly the ones I am most familiar with... Dahman Shahwan/Dahman Shahwaniyah male/female gender clarifications... The two main tail females of that strain are El Dahma and Bint El Bahreyni. Bint Sabbah is of the El Dahma tail line... Hadban Enzahi/Hadban Enzahiyah the only tail female I have found is Venus. Although it is noted that Nazeer is of the Hadban Enzahi strain with the tail line female noted as Venus it is also noted that this a rare tail line, but it has been noted in all Hadban Enzahi strains that I have had the opportunity to work with... Saqlawi Jidran Ibn Sudan noted tail female is Ghazieh...What I find very interesting is that the farther back in a pedigree you research you will see how many stains do not exist any longer... They are mixed into the strains of horses today, but as a strain with definite female lineage to reproduce it they are gone... This isn't a phenomenon created by breeding to the big name stallion as his offspring do not carry his strain.. There are a few possible explanations I can think of... War that is a big one and always going on in that region of the world... Mares were used as war horses!! Or is it the fading of the culture in favor of fossil fuel and the horses becoming obsolete...Tracy

Pembroke,

That is some excellent material.. Thanks for sharing... Tracy
AVALONDALES EGYPTIAN ARABIANS
The Spirit of Ancient Egypt

The home of

SA Shaikh Al Sakr (Harakka X FA Maronique)
Ceasare (Sahlih X J Zaziza)
Bint Ishtar (Prince Ibn Shaikh X Shams El Ishtar)
Sara Al Badeia (Sugaa X Mariam Al Badeia)
Josephin Albadeia (Sugaa X Mariam Al Badeia)
B B Krystal (PVA Kariim X B B Crystali)
RSA Mara Moniet (TCP Rada Bazaz X Sonnys Sharaffa)
SA Almase Sarab (Harakka x Bint Ishtar) For Sale
AVA Amira El Sakr (SA Shaikh Al Sakr X Bint Ishtar)For Sale
AVA Chelsea Rose (SA Shaikh Al Sakr X Bint Ishtar)For Sale
AVA Ishaaq Al Haytham (SA Shaikh Al Sakr X Sara Al Badeia)
AVA Lilith (SA Shaikh Al Sakr X Josephin Al Badeia)
AVA Ibn Waas-No-De' (SA Shaikh Al Sakr X RSA Mara Moniet) For Sale
Please contact http://www.avalondal...abianhorses.com for information regarding any of the young stock we have listed for sale

Life isn't about having and getting, but being and becoming...

#17 Faith Hope Love Stables

Faith Hope Love Stables

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,784 posts

Posted 06 October 2006 - 04:55 AM

OK once again how does one check the strain of a none egyptian or egyptian related horses .. I'm just curious cause I've noticed on Al Shaqab site they een have strains for their egyptina related get my mare is a granddaughter of Ruminaja Ali out of a daughter of LBA Lode Star who is out of a Ruminaja Ali daughter

Nefis, I don't have datasource and I've done a lot of my research via www.allbreedpedigree.com. You can usually find your horses name and pedigree in there. If not, you can place it in there too. Then you just follow it all the way back. Normally it will tell you what strain there is involved. ALL Arabians have a strain and it's just a matter of following their ancestry back. Have fun researching!

:bigemo_harabe_net-122:

Available to Show/Breeder Home: Najm Al Din FHL (pending) Abayyan strain phenomenon sired by Rafaa'iq (ZT Faa'iz x Al Asail Aliraffa) and out of Maysunah Ahmar (Jasadd x Bishaarah)

#18 Pembroke

Pembroke

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 622 posts

Posted 06 October 2006 - 08:07 AM

Here is another website that some might find interesting

http://www.rareakstrains.com

Nefis what is your mares name? Keep in mind strains are passed down trough the tail female line not sire lines. With her name those of us who have datasource can take a looksee for you. no gauruntees though.

#19 Century Oak Arabians

Century Oak Arabians

Century Oak Arabians

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,828 posts

Posted 11 October 2006 - 05:25 AM

Datasource would be a good place to start and at least find out what her tail female is I agree, though Datasource does not list "strains" :blush:
Guardian to:
Zandai Jasoor (Zandai Ibn Omar x Glorieta Saqlima) and Impress Rissala (Imtaarif x Zandai Om Roda)

Mental Meanderings Of A Barn Goddess

#20 Billy W

Billy W

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 11 October 2006 - 07:48 AM

Mahfouz_in_the__arena_004.jpg Ive read up on the strains many times and have to agree as far as phenotype...my gelding who is Kuhaylan Jellabi by strain...but the majority of his pedigree is Dahman Shawan....he looks Dahman. Now as he matures as he is only 3 1/2...this might change and he might take on more of the Kuhaylan look..?