Photo

Gladys Brown Edwards bronze

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
11 replies to this topic

#1 innishfael

innishfael

Advanced Member

• Gold Sponsor
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,622 posts

Posted 23 February 2008 - 08:11 AM

good morning!

i am an 'ebay haunter', i admit it. a few years ago i started collecting vintage arabian trophies, just the metal topped ones. so far i have collected eight different ones, ranging from the 1950's to the 80's. on one of my ebay haunts, i found an ad for trophy pieces and lo and behold there was a Gladys Brown Edwards Half-Arabian bronze in the lot. poor thing had a broken leg...
Posted Image
Posted Image

i have always longed for a GBE bronze and so i bid on this lot, just to get 'her'. the other pieces i refurbish and donate to the local 4-H club for their shows, so i was doing a two-for-one. i got this lovely lady and the rest for a winning bid of $5.50. she was so pretty when she got her that i got inspired to build a little box around her and restore her to some of her former glory. here is the result:
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

she turned out so pretty i have her with my won trophies instead of my vintage collection : ) she really deserves a shelf of her own. she did come with a shadow box she originally stepped out of, but no placard so i have no idea how old she is or what class she represented. i think she is/was the bronze for Half-Arabian National win, so please correct me if i am wrong.

kind of a fun winter project i wanted to share. someday i will take photos of my other collection trophies, but i want to get a nice case for them first.

sheila - innishfael farm
Posted Image

#2 deettah

deettah

deettah

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,733 posts

Posted 23 February 2008 - 08:17 AM

That is so cool Sheila! Great job!!

Hopeless and devoted to Rose, Akeem, Rosita, Graace and Junior

Posted Image

Copyright 2011

Posted Image

#3 maz

maz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,676 posts

Posted 23 February 2008 - 08:29 AM

wow, what a great job, and so wonderful to save a most covetted trophy... we only dream of the day we'll achieve.

meantime if we gave you an allowance for awards do you think you could supply one of our benefit CTRs? finding stuff on e bay?

#4 Marcia Friesen

Marcia Friesen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,871 posts

Posted 23 February 2008 - 10:58 AM

You need to find more of the broken bronzes and come up with unique ways to present them as a sideline. There must be enough of them out there that people might want something done with so that they could still display them in honour of their win.

Posted Image
Obstacles are what you see when you take your eyes off your goal!

Posted Image

Copyright 2008

#5 Comstock Lode

Comstock Lode

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,341 posts

Posted 23 February 2008 - 11:52 AM

That is so cool , it's nice to see it get a second life . I look at those things on eBay every once in a while old ribbons and trophy belt buckles , at some point they meant a lot to someone .

#6 maz

maz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,676 posts

Posted 23 February 2008 - 01:46 PM

at the convention AHA had some old IAHA belt buckles left over from their stock they put up for sale, maybe some of that.

#7 twarab

twarab

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 325 posts

Posted 23 February 2008 - 04:40 PM

I have 4 of the Gladys Brown Edwards trophies and I cherish them. While cleaning out the barn last summer I found one of the Half Arab ones that you have. My son's gelding had won it. We were able to clean it up and it looks good as new and is now in the house where it belongs.

When at antique stores, I always keep my eye out for the Dodge bronzes that Gladys did. I have quite a few. Also have the silver Quarter Horse she did (trophy).

While we have kept a few trophies from the show years...it is those Gladys Brown Edwards ones that I truly love.

Pat
Trade Winds Arabians......breeders of "TW" Arabians since 1963!

#8 NIECE

NIECE

Golden Oak Arabians

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,251 posts

Posted 23 February 2008 - 05:29 PM

Great idea. Your right good winter project. Thanks for sharing.

Denise

Visit our website

Aurelius GOA (Magic Aulrab X Proberry Bey) 2011 sabino chestnut colt Sold

#9 sweetwaterarabians

sweetwaterarabians

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,529 posts

Posted 23 February 2008 - 07:03 PM

What a cool idea! You did a great job! It's good to see someone taking the time to fix up those old antiques that are so special. Interesting!
Shannon Kimes

Home of:
Sterling SA (Al Marah Fight Fair x Elfin Reign SA) '08 gelding
Elfin Reign SA (AA Ibn Hawk x Forever Elkin) '02 mare
Elkeyna SA (AA Ibn Hawk x Forever Elkin) '05 mare
Forever Elkin (Forever Czar x Elkanin) '96 mare

<a href="http://sweetwaterwebdesign.com" target="_blank">Sweetwater Arabians & Web Design</a>
<b><i>'The will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you.' </b></i>

#10 Dalriada

Dalriada

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 199 posts

Posted 24 February 2008 - 05:12 AM

If you had the leg there is an artist, who's wife is an Arabian member, who fixed up all the damaged AHAEC year end high point award trophies. He did such an excellent job that you can barely see the seam of the repair on legs, ears and tails.
Home of:
Shades of Spring+ ~ 1996 US National Champion HA Jumper
Bask N Coins+ ~ 2005 AHA National Champion HA CTR (+ Overall winner), 2004 AHA T10 HA CTR, 2006 4th ApHC National Championship Endurance
Burning Sensation+ ~ 1996 US National T10 HA Working Hunter Open

MG Inkhredible Fire ~ 2005 AHA T10 CTR (6th Purebred & 10th Overall) - RIP (1995-2007)
Estabahn ~ 2006 R14 CH CTR - RIP (1997-2007)

Kintyre Arabians + and Dalriada Stables
Versatile, athletic, sport-type Arabians and Partbred Arabians
Hackney Horses and American Sport Ponies

Webshot Albums