Photo

REGION 17 MEETING

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
7 replies to this topic

#1 Marcia Friesen

Marcia Friesen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,871 posts

Posted 20 January 2008 - 10:40 AM

Good day,

I thought I would start a new thread to do with Region 17 issues as we have our spring meeting planned for March 29th in Saskatoon.

On the 28th, the Region 17 Show Commission will be getting together to have our meeting.

The social evening will be on the Saturday following the meeting.

Although most of us like to dash home as soon as the meeting is over, for many of us this will not be possible this time as there are very limited flights out of Saskatoon. So we are very fortunate that the host club will entertain us on the Saturday evening instead.

One of the things that was discussed after our meeting last year dealt with how our meetings use to be a great place to meet and socialize and find out what was going on in the rest of the Region. Hardly anyone use to fly out as soon as the meeting was done.

We would all go out for a great meal and then meet back at the hotel for more socialization after leaving the restaurant. There was a real feeling of camaraderie. This was important because those relationships we built during those social times helped us be more respectful during meetings when discussing opposing views.

I believe that we will see that again with this meeting in Saskatoon. Hope to see some of you there.

Posted Image
Obstacles are what you see when you take your eyes off your goal!

Posted Image

Copyright 2008

#2 daretodreamfarm

daretodreamfarm

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,320 posts

Posted 20 January 2008 - 10:51 AM

So can anyone attend this meeting Marcia? If so then count me in. I would like to help out with the stallion auction this year, get it more organized, more advertising, more stallions, etc. Also if it is open to anyone then I will probably be bringing anywhere from 5-10 people with me if that is okay..:)
Amanda Ubell
Home of:
FSF Jesse James
*Marwan Al Shaqab x FSF Marquessa

Posted Image
Region 17 Champion 2 Yr Old Colt
Region 17 Champion Stallion ATH
Region 7 Top Five Western Pleasure Junior Horse
Region 1 Top Five Western Pleasure Junior Horse

www.daretodreamfarm.ca

#3 secondchanceranch

secondchanceranch

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,444 posts

Posted 20 January 2008 - 04:07 PM

Count me in as well. I completely agree about the social networking and IMO comraderie and getting to know one another are priceless assets in this business. I am also only about an hour south of Saskatoon and I'm in the city daily so I can probably help out with planning/organizing as well.
Dawn Brown
Baida Arabians
Glenside, Saskatchewan, Canada
306-867-2128
dawn.scr@hotmail.com
www.baidaarabians.com

#4 Marcia Friesen

Marcia Friesen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,871 posts

Posted 20 January 2008 - 07:09 PM

The meeting is open to all AHA members of Region 17.

You will not be able to vote on motions, but as a member you can speak to the issues. Only the official club delegates are allowed to vote. It is always great when club members show up at the meetings and social events. That is why the meetings get moved to a different location every time. So more people can be involved.

Amanda, Gary had mentioned your interest in the stallion auction. Maybe you need to contact Terry Johnson as she is the new director and let her know you would be willing to do the work for this auction. If you do take it on, you should know that Dean had said we could use ABN to promote it. Also, I have a contact who has expressed interest in seeing our Region get more participation and he may be able to get some US stallion owners to donate breedings to our auction.

Dawn, thanks for the offer to assist with planning. I believe that there is a group already looking after that. I am not sure which club is actually hosting the meeting but it was Murray Popplewell who invited the Regions delegates to Saskatoon.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Copyright 2008

#5 Marcia Friesen

Marcia Friesen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,871 posts

Posted 22 March 2008 - 06:45 AM

It is one week until our Region 17 Spring Meeting.

It is being held at the Saskatoon Inn of course in Saskatoon Saskatchewan on Saturday March 29th. Typically the meetings start @9:00 with credentialing (signing in of the official delegates) @8:00 ish with a coffee bar.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Copyright 2008

#6 Marcia Friesen

Marcia Friesen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,871 posts

Posted 05 April 2008 - 02:14 PM

I trust by now most of you will have read Bob's thread in Hot Topics about the social affairs of the Region 17 meeting so I thought I should give a brief report of some of the actual business so that you know it was more work than fun and games.

Friday the Show Commission convened our meeting at 11:00 AM and it ran until 9:30 PM. Because we only meet twice a year, we have a lot of work to get done so it requires marathon meetings.

As budget items are on every bodies minds, we worked hard to create a budget that would allow us to put on a great event while also providing the profit we require to run the annual business of the Region. We had to look at some cost cutting measures as well as some extra bonuses.

One cost cutting measure that we are implementing right away is the prizelist will not be mailed out. Rather it will be available on the Region 17 website for exhibitors to download. This alone will save us thousands of dollars in printing and postage. For those people who do not have a computer and can not download it, they can contact our show secretary and she will mail them out a copy.

When the IAHA Sweepstakes cut out many of the regional classes we agreed to add some prize money back into several classes. This year along with those we had last year we have also added Purebred Show Hack and HA/AA Show Hack to the list of added purse classes. We will continue to add classes in future shows as entries/budget permit. The next classes to be added will be from the Sport Horse venue.

Our judges contracts are all looked after and we have also hired our main ring and preshow judging panel for 2009 with contacts made for the Sport Horse panel.

Since everyone seemed to appreciate the neck garlands it was agreed that we would not only offer the champion garland but also the reserve. We have several sponsors stepping up to assist with the payment for a large number of the garlands as well, there is a sponsorship package level that includes individual garland sponsorship. Contact Kimberly Toye for more info. (her contact info can be found in the Region 17 Directory).

After having been to the new set up at Red Deer last year and going through some growing pains, we believe the 2008 schedule for rings and classes will make the best use of the amenities the facility has to offer.

Last year one of our concerns was the size of the indoor warm up ring we had set up next to the hitching ring. The area was suppose to have been larger. We are going to ensure this area is larger as well as make it accessible from the north side of the building.

We are also working on a Show Commission Manual that will set the structure for organizing the show. It will be a great tool for the current commission as well as for new commission members when current members resign. We are utilizing a manual designed by Region 7 as a template. It requires some work before it will be compatible with our needs but it provides a great starting point.

At the Region 17 meeting on Saturday, it became very clear as to the importance of having such a manual that would prescribe policy and procedure for the commission. When a question arose as to whose responsibility it was to determine the location of future regional shows- the delegates or the show commission- we would have been able to answer that question unequivocally as it would have been spelled out in the manual.

We will once again offer the patrons dinner at the facility and we are hoping that the youth will have a pizza party during the week as well. We are once again looking forward to the generosity of some of our great patrons to supply entertainment in different ways throughout the week. Oh and of course the renowned dog races will once again be sponsored by Cori Wilson and this year our beloved steward Dr. Jackie will also join in to sponsor this break from the competitiveness of the show. (hmmm actually that dog race is probably more competitive than the actual show, lol)

Of course there was alot more discussed and the report given to the delegates had more info than I have written here. So if you have questions please feel free to ask and I will try and answer them.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Copyright 2008

#7 overtime

overtime

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 05 April 2008 - 04:53 PM

Thanks for the update Marcia. One of the things last year that many people talked about was the top 5 plaques not being engraved, Was there any decisions on this? Also, because of the new facility, which I really like as a whole, regionals lost its luster not being in the centrium, are we going to try and spruce it up a bit?

Also I would like to add that our barn is going to have a party one of the evenings, we are just in the planning stages. Mostly not trying to have one on the same night as someone else. So if anyone knows the party sceduale please let me know. I will update the details as we plan so everyone going should attend.

See you in Red deer!

#8 Marcia Friesen

Marcia Friesen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,871 posts

Posted 05 April 2008 - 05:27 PM

There was discussion regarding the plaques. We are looking into different plaques for this year. Our concern with the engraving is that if you date them, you can not use them the next year. And if you put the class name on and there are only a couple given out, that is even a bigger loss as we can not even use them for another class then.

FYI: The budget for the trophies and plaques is close to $50,000.

Yes, we are going to have drapery placed around the long south wall to provide a bit better visual appeal. That is an additional cost of course as we have to rent the curtains, but we think it will help dress it up a little bit. Do you have other ideas that may make the area look better. Keeping in mind we do have to stay within budget?

That is great to hear that your barn may be adding to the festivities. We need to continue in our quest to make the Regionals not only a great competition but also a great place to get together and have fun.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Copyright 2008