48 replies to this topic

#1 AuburnRose87

AuburnRose87

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 975 posts

Posted 20 December 2007 - 09:07 AM

I have been doing reasearch on my arab filly's sire.And way back it says alot of horses were bred at Weil.Who is that?And where are they from?I have never even heard of them.

#2 Comstock Lode

Comstock Lode

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,307 posts

Posted 21 December 2007 - 01:20 PM

I have been doing reasearch on my arab filly's sire.And way back it says alot of horses were bred at Weil.Who is that?And where are they from?I have never even heard of them.

Tabatha - Bewitched, knows a lot about the German Arabs she doesn't post here much but if check her profile you could probably get her email and ask her about them .

#3 BewitchedArabians

BewitchedArabians

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 25 December 2007 - 03:36 PM

Luckily I was able to locate this amongst all the "clutter" of files on my'puter, lol. Excuse any typos; Dominique had typed this up many years ago for me straight from her books. My files are kind of a 'mess'/some things running on/together, so as I copy & paste, I'll *try* to get the paragraphs where they probably should be...?

This will be very long, lol, so I'll break it down into multiple posts...ENJOY!

ARABIAN HORSE BREEDING AT THE ROYAL STUD OF WEIL AND AT THE HAUPT-UND LANDGESTUT MARBACH
by Dr. Georg Wenzler

The beginning of the Arabian Stud of the Royal Horse Breeding Institute at Weil, 1817-1836

“At the turn of the 18th century Arab horses were considered all over Europe to be the best horses of the world, and the most suited to improve all other horse breeds and especially ours in Germany”. K.W. Ammon

It is not surprising, in view of the above quotation, that princes and other potentates endeavoured to outdo each other in acquiring Arabian horses. At that time a number of Arabian studs were established in Europe, some of which have had a lasting influence, not only in their own country, but in the rest of Europe. One of the most important and famous of these was Weil, the Private Stud of the Kings of Wurttemberg.

The Weil Stud, located in the Neckar valley of Stuttgart, became renowned not only for its ancient history as the Private Stud of the Kings of Wurttemberg, but especially for its achievements in horse breeding. Weil horses left their mark on the entire horse breeding industry in Europe, their influence was unequalled. The founder of the Stud was Crown Prince William, later King William I of Wurttemberg, who bore the title of “rex agricolorum”; he had a great love for agriculture, and especially horses, and the founding of the Weil Stud in 1817 was a work very close to his heart. In the difficult years after the Napoleonic Wars the King was concerned with boosting Swabian agriculture, still in its early stages, in order to provide food for his people. In this the horse played an important part as an essential means of transport. Moreover, at that time a supply of horses meant military strength and dynastic power. The King therefore wished to use the Arabian in the interests of his country. Although a personal and private venture, it must be stressed that the breeding of pure Arabians was not an end by itself, the ultimate end was to improve the local horse breeds.

In contrast to other European Arab studs, the interests of the private and the national studs were kept strictly separate. William I personally arranged for purebred Arabians to be provided to upgrade local horses, mostly kept by small farmers, and at the same time pursued with great single-mindedness his idea of breeding pure Arabians on the basis of original desert-bred stock. He therefore purchased not only stallions but also numerous mares in the East, who were to provide the foundation for his stud. This fact is worth mentioning, especially as there were several Arabian studs, at home and abroad, which used their Arab stallions primarily to improve their local breeds. It is true that there were also some establishments concentrating on purebred Arabians, but they later disappeared and much valuable blood was lost through crossbreeding. Weil may justly claim to be the purest source of Arabian blood, the symbol of continuous breeding towards an ideal Arabian for more than 150 years, and the focal point of a whole era in Europe.

As early as 1810, William I, as Crown Prince, had assigned Scharnhausen, his summer residence, for horse breeding. He had mares of various breeding and used the chestnut Arabian stallion Emir, who had been imported by Baron von Fechtig. Emir was the King’s personal riding horse and had proved himself in the Wars of Independence. He does not appear to have been greatly appreciated as a sire of purebreds because later, he and his sons were only used for partbreds, where they were very successful. The King was so impressed by his performance that he issued a “Supreme Decret of 30th September 1817”, declaring the domains of Weil, Scharnhausen, and Kleinhohenheim as a Private Royal Stud.

The King had little enthusiasm for the breeding methods then in use. He planned his stud based exclusively on the best Arabian strains. He chose as foundation the Seglawi Jedran strain. In 1816 the mare Murana I was purchased by Baron von Fechtig and brought to Weil, she was to prove the foundation mare. In 1817 Baron von Fechtig brought seven more mares and the stallions Bairactar and Tajar from the Orient. While Tajar proved unsuitable as a sire and had to be sold, the grey Bairactar was a great success. For over a hundred years his stock dominated Weil breeding. With the help of Catherine, wife of William I and sister of Czar Alexander of Russia, the Russian Count Wenceslas Rzewusky, who had spent two years in Arabia, was commissioned to buy more horses there. The eight Arab stallions and twelve mares imported by him in 1819 were of excellent quality. They included Hassfoura, Elkanda, Schakra, Murana, Geyran, and Abululu. These mares and their descendants were the glory of Weil. Among them was Goumousch-Bournou, a stallion of the Seglawi Jedran strain, a well built and powerful horse. Bred to him, the imported mares, noted for their refinement, had descendants with good bone, thus producing a type combining robust hardiness and refinement, the type preferred by the King. Indeed these were the very qualities with which the King wanted to stamp the Wurttemberg horse - hence his desire for a bigger and stronger horse than the Arabians known at the time.

First breeding results may have been unspectacular in spite of the fact that eminent experts were responsible for these imports. It was soon recognized that best results were achieved by breeding pure Arabians. The King showed great personal interest in the Arabian stud and seized every opportunity to add new importations to his original stock, regardless of cost. The purchase in 1821 of the mares Hamdany I and Czebessie I added a valuable extension. They came to Weil via the Hungarian Stud of Babolna. Hamdany I was to become celebrated through her daughter Sady III, the dam of Amurath 1829.

In 1822 the Weil Stud consisted of:
18 pure Arabian broodmares, 17 of which were imported from the desert, and 1 bred at Weil;
10 pure Arabian colts, between 1 and 5 years of age;
13 pure Arabian fillies, between 1 and 5 years of age.

When Bairactar became senior stallion, he soon attracted the attention of the experts. Year after year the King had the satisfaction of admiring the quality of his offspring. To this day this magnificent stallion remains the ideal Arabian horse, and contemporary representations attest to his refinement, elegance and incomparable harmony. He was undoubtedly one of the best stallions ever to come from the Orient. For twenty years he was senior stallion. He is the foundation stallion on which the stud was built and upon whose blood were based the many successes which established the fame of Weil all over Europe. The severe selection which was practiced, even with very expensive horses, speaks for the farsightedness of the breeder. Any animal which did not come up to the required standard was ruthlessly discarded. Mares lacking quality or refinement, or too light in bone, or barren, were eliminated. But fertile and long-living mares and stallions were treasured all the more and bred from as long as possible.

Among the sons of Bairactar, Aleppo (sold to Russia), Mazud, and Bairactar II, as well as the two stallions Selim 1828 and Amurath 1829, both out of Sady III, became famous. Amurath 1829 was an outstandingly successful sire who, through careful inbreeding, brought the inheritance of his sire to full glory in his sons and grandsons. It must be said here that at the time inbreeding was held in low esteem, and it was only the success of inbreeding at Weil which encouraged breeders to overcome their reluctance and break away from the traditional method of outcrossing. Today we know that such breeding methods with horses of sound inheritance can lead to consolidating their good qualities. At Weil this method led to many successes within a short time. The King, however, did not rest on his laurels, and initiated several more imports, expanding the stud far beyond the scope originally planned. This made severe selection possible, and the Weil Arabians soon became known, and sought for, all over Europe. They improved and refined many local breeds.

The Weil Stud reached its first peak with Amurath 1829, a stallion descended from the mating of Bairactar with the Hamdany I line. Amurath 1829 was senior stallion from 1836 to 1856, and the best and most famous son of Bairactar. He had inherited the latter’s refinement and pureness of Arabian type. The spectacular rise of Weil owes much to his performance and he laid the foundation on which the breeding was built over several decades. He outclassed all other stallions tested from time to time as potential sires.

The farsightedness and expertise with which the King directed the stud won him the recognition of the most discerning experts; it was an acknowledged fact “that progeny bred at Weil had more bone, more size, better conformation, and greater uniformity than their ancestors”. His breeding methods appear modern and progressive even today. We owe it to him, in this Stud Book, to testify to the singlemindedness he applied to the fulfillment of his goal. Today some people may disagree with the objectives set by the King who, in addition to Arabian type, sought larger size and stronger build. But his endeavours were not merely wishful thinking. Baron von Hugel in 1860 reported that “in the Orient, too, size is greatly sought after and fetches the highest prices”. This seems to be a significant observation and a reminder to be open minded about size. Seen in this light, links with other warm-blood horse breeds might have been maintained if this had been kept in mind.

As early as in the 1830’s the famous expert Count von Veltheim said, during a visit to the stud, “They have solved in a most satisfactory manner the problem of preserving a pure Oriental breed in the northern climate of Europe; from the first generation bone and size are increased without the slightest loss of type”. In addition, Arabians at Weil had to prove performance ability in harness work. It may be mentioned in passing that Arabian races were attempted as early as 1834, but were soon discontinued. At that time the Babolna Stud of Hungary purchased the first Arabians from Weil, which were to have the greatest impact on Hungarian horse breeding. These sales were a new stimulus to Weil. In 1836 the grey stallion Abou Arcoub, the chestnut stallion Dahman, the bay stallions Obeyan and Tajar, as well as several mares were bought from the famous stud of Emir Beschir, a Prince of the Druses. They were all strong and well built horses, but do not appear to have left much of a mark.

Selection, applied both in purchasing and in mating individual animals, was based on an absolute ideal from which not the slightest departure was allowed. It is often said that horses are a product of their time. This is certainly true for warm-blood breeds, but less so for Arabians, their main purpose being the preservation of the pure desert type. Their breeding as practiced at Weil should be an exhortation to us to preserve this ideal of type. One cannot help feeling that while fashions may be justified in breeding riding horses, they have no place in Arabian breeding. The following story illustrates the severity with which standards were adhered to at Weil. In 1838 King William I purchased a stallion from Hampton Court, who was considered one of the most beautiful Arabian stallions in Europe at the time. His origin was undisputed, yet his descendants were only used as performance horses because “although they possessed their father’s fire and spirit and his speed, they lacked refinement”.

(continued next post)

#4 BewitchedArabians

BewitchedArabians

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 25 December 2007 - 03:54 PM

continuing with:

ARABIAN HORSE BREEDING AT THE ROYAL STUD OF WEIL AND AT THE HAUPT-UND LANDGESTUT MARBACH
Dr. Georg Wenzler

The Peak Period 1836-1890

In addition to rigorous selection Weil developed classical breeding methods. Repeated matings to closely related proven stallions, whether imported or home-bred, produced descendants of great uniformity and quality which established the type and reputation of Weil. It became clear that inbreeding caused a reinforcement of the best genetic potential, while exposing undesirable qualities. This close breeding and the resulting homogenization of genetic material are the basis of the prepotency of the Weil type and the impact it was to have in Eastern Europe as well as Germany. While inbreeding was practiced a great deal and with great success, outside blood was constantly tested as well and crossed with great flair with the consolidated inbred foundation stock. The proven lines of Bairactar and Goumousch-Bournou were the constant element. The introduction of sires who later proved indifferent could do little harm, whereas prepotent sires were able to prove their genetic potential to the fullest extent; all too often stallions purchased at great expense turned out to be inferior to those bred at home.

In 1852 Baron Julius von Hugel was put in charge of the direction and management of the Stud. He had traveled widely, both in the Orient and in Europe. He initiated new imports of Arabians. In 1852 Zarif, a classical grey stallion, who had been brought to Europe as a foal by Prince Puckler Muskau, was purchased in East Prussia. His name is still to be found in the pedigrees of Wurttemberg horses. In 1852 the mare Koheil-Aguse of the Koheilan Ajuz strain was purchased from the stud of Abbas Pasha near Cairo. Later she was greatly to influence the Babolna Stud. In the same shipment was the grey mare Sklavia of the Seglawi Jedran strain. In 1860, at the sale of the horses of El Hami Pasha, the 12 years old grey stallion Gadir was purchased. He also was a Seglawi Jedran and a true Nejd Arabian. He had been a successful senior sire at the stud of Abbas Pasha. Gadir had great beauty and balance, and sired mares of high quality and conformation from the inbred Bairactar line. The stallion Seglawi 1864, who was related to Bairactar, was a worthy successor to him.

When King William I died in 1864, Weil Arabians were considered the best in Europe. The Stud in Wurttemberg could boast of the most numerous and beautiful pure Arabians in central Europe. Weil Arabians were in great demand both at home and abroad for improving local horse breeds. A number of celebrated home-bred mare lines had been created. A grandson of Gadir achieved great success at Radautz both in purebred breeding and in developing Shagya breed. The lovely Koheil-Aguse, whose classical beauty captivates in engravings of the period, produced a series of successful progeny at Babolna, when put to the magnificent stallion Amurath-Bairactar.

The creation of several consolidated female foundation lines testifies to the success of the breeding methods practiced; outstanding was the family of Murana I 1808-Murana II 1822- Musa II 1830-Daria V 1837-Lama I 1850-Hamma I 1855-Hamma II 1866-Sabal 1872, with one branch through Soldateska 1911 and Jatta 1933 by Jasir, and the other branch through Saoud 1885-Sakuntala 1892 and Savona 1895-Sardine 1908-Carmen 1915. (see mare tables)

Another famous mare line was that of Czebessie II 1814-Safra I 1823-Wanda I 1830-Safra II 1838-Kereja V 1851-Kereja VI 1862-Selma V 1871-Koheil III 1876.

Another family that flourished at the time was that of Hassfoura D.B. 1811-Elkanda I 1818-Banka I 1823, with one branch through Goa I 1830-Goa IV 1866-Anusa 1880, and the other branch through Kaaba II 1832-Elkanda IV 1842-Elkanda V 1848-Obeja 1862. Obeja 1862 was the granddam of Amurath 1881, being the dam of his sire Tajar 1873.

Other successful female foundation lines were that of Geyran I 1811-Geyran II 1829-Geyran III 1845, and that of Hamdany I D.B. 1816-Sady III 1821-Hazam IV 1831-Abululu IV 1850-Dzelaby I 1861-Dzelaby II 1866-Sady 1877-Sarah 1891. Amurath 1829 traces to this line.

King William I’s successor, King Charles (1864-1891) was not so devoted to horses. Moreover, the growing population and increasingly intensive farming methods led to different requirements demanding a heavier, and above all a bigger working horse. Although the new trends had no immediate effect on Arabian breeding at Weil, the Stud did not remain completely unaffected by the new fashions which were pushing the breeding of lighter and refined horses into the background. In the seventies
(1870's), breeding stock at Weil was reduced to make room for English Thoroughbreds. In spite of this, the Arabians continued to flourish. During the next two decades the principle of close breeding alternating with the introduction of proven outside stallions was continued. Female lines descending from Bairactar were the foundation on which outcross stallions, such as Gadir, could build to produce exceptional stock. A peak was reached with the stallion Amurath 1881, whose achievements as a sire remained unequalled to this day. He is the foundation of the pure Arabian and warm-blood breeds of Austria and Hungary through the Radautz Stud, and his sons and grandsons have had a strong impact on horse breeding in Northern Germany, in Holstein, Hannover and East Prussia. After 1918 Poland and Czechoslovakia used his sons and grandsons with the greatest success. At least in Germany, there is no stallion whose influence in any way equals that of Amurath 1881.

Amurath 1881, by Tajar out of Koheil III, was sold to Radautz Stud at the age of 14. His career ended with his death at the age of 30. His importance can be gauged by the fact that, during 16 years at Radautz, he sired 315 outstanding offspring. His sons Amurath I and Amurath II sired 61 colts who were used as stallions in national studs, and 71 fillies who joined the broodmare band.

Amurath 1881 is an example of intelligent inbreeding. In his pedigree Amurath 1829 appears twice in the 4th generation and three times in the 5th. Bairactar appears no less than twelve times in the 5th to 7th generation. Amurath 1881 mainly resembled Bairactar and Goumousch-Bournou. It was not surprising that such a concentration of the best blood led to such peaks in breeding in both female and male lines.

In 1880 Count von Cronsfeld was appointed stud manager. He saw a danger in the policy of inbreeding as it had been practiced for decades, partly because of the reduction in the broodmare band and partly because he was influenced by the breeding methods current at the time with warm-blood horse breeds. He therefore departed from the well-proven method of deliberate inbreeding which had led to the fame of Weil, and which should be differently regarded with respect to the Arab than with any other horse breed. His breeding was based on using outcrosses but lacked any clear definition of the ultimate goal.

The magnificent Amurath 1881 was sold to Radautz and as no other stallion stood at Weil, the Bairactar line soon became extinct in the male line. While Amurath 1881, in a brilliant career, made an impact on all Eastern Europe, at Weil it was left to the mares to preserve the heritage, as there was no stallion. It is an open question whether the continuation of the traditional breeding policies would have ensured continued success. And it must be realized that such a zenith as was reached by Weil cannot be upheld forever and that leaner times must follow. Nevertheless, the grey stallion Djerid, who was senior stallion from 1876-1890, was an asset to the Stud.

...continued next post...

#5 BewitchedArabians

BewitchedArabians

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 25 December 2007 - 04:08 PM

continuing with...

Dr. Georg Wenzler

The Decline 1890-1932

In 1891, King William II on ascending the throne, also took over the direction of the Weil Stud. The hope that the glorious tradition of Weil would be resumed soon proved to be misplaced. William II was more interested in English Thoroughbreds. The mare herd was therefore reduced to about 10 head in 1901. As a consequence of this devaluation, any far-sighted purposeful breeding policy was lacking. Several stallions were used, each for a short period only. Of these Souakim 1894 proved a valuable sire.

Souakim was out of the chestnut mare Smyrna D.B., who had been bought in the desert near Damascus with Souakim in utero and brought to Weil in 1897. Souakim’s origin led critics to cast doubts on the purity of Weil breeding. This was entirely unjustified, as Souakim unquestionably was desert-bred and moreover the Weil Stud, for 80 years, had remained unswervingly loyal to the principle of pure breeding.

Meanwhile the principle of outcrossing came in vogue, any pairing of related animals was shunned. One of the stallions used was Demir Kaja, a son of Djeilan D.B. out of the Amurath 1881 daughter Sakuntala. He was succeeded by Dardziling, bred at the Polish Stud of Slawuta. Dardziling, by Mazepa out of Omega by Antar, was senior stallion only from 1914 to 1917, although he sired good mares. In 1917 he was exchanged for the much less valuable Djeiran. The latter was a Turkoman acquired in Trakehnen. He was not a good sire and remained senior stallion much too long, from 1817 to 1929. His descendants had little Arabian type and all, except one, were eliminated. From 1921 to 1924 Demir Kaja was also used; he had been leased to Trakehnen and was brought back in exchange for Sven Hedin. Unfortunately, he was soon sold off to Poland, as the management failed to recognize his value. He might have been a way out of the deadlock which lasted through World War I and its aftermath, and could have laid the ground for a new successor. This is no idle speculation, as he was a son of Djeilan D.B. out of Sakuntala, daughter of Amurath 1881, and was therefore closely related to Weil stock. Another stallion used after World War I, from 1918 to 1930, was Dynamit, born 1902, by Souakim out of Dueba by Djerid, who was active until a ripe old age. His offspring were strong but not very typey. The main feature of that period was the constant change and indiscriminate use of senior stallions. No wonder that the glory of old Weil began to fade.

The Stud received a new lease of life when it passed to Princess Pauline zu Wied, daughter of William II, in 1921. She was a highly gifted breeder. World War I had left deep scars on the Stud. With great boldness the Princess had the Dynamit son Said exchanged for Koheilan IV, then 21 years old, by Koheilan II out of O’Bajan, bred of Babolna and of classical beauty. Here at long last was an equal partner for the mares. In spite of his age, he sired several mares of outstanding type and beauty. He was without doubt the best stallion since the turn of the century. Despite the difficulties of the period, the Princess insisted on expanding the mare band to fourteen. In 1928 and 1929, breeding stock could once again be sold to Polish studs. The Princess did her utmost to develop the Arab herd, although the economic crisis brought hard times for the Stud. “They were overcome”(P.von Wied 1953). She had a high sense of duty towards the Weil heritage and wrote in her book, “From the foundation by King William I, the Stud was focused on noble horses. It was started with the introduction of Arabians who have retained to this day dryness and refinement. I therefore considered it an obligation to introduce the Original Arabian stallion Jasir, who is a very prepotent sire”.

It was C.R. Raswan, one of the foremost Arabian and equine specialists, who helped to acquire Jasir in 1930 from the Manial Stud of Prince Mohamed Ali. Raswan knew the Arabs well, having lived with them for several years in the desert. Jasir was regarded as “one of the three best Arabian stallions outside Arabia” (Bauer). He was of the Koheilan Jellabi strain, but he also carried much Seglawi blood, and it was he who took the Stud through its darkest years. Jasir was to be the last senior sire to stand at Weil and to carry on the old tradition. Great hopes were placed in him and they were fully justified. He left behind a string of mares of outstanding disposition. Weiss described Jasir as follows, “A stocky Koheilan type, he had a short small head with a broad, bulging forehead. His profile showed a well-pronounced dish, with large nostrils, huge eyes, and disc-like jowls. The neck was on the short side, a characteristic of his family, and very muscular. He was famous for his powerful and well sloped shoulders, his broad chest, and barrel-shaped ribs. He had strong loins, a long croup and high tail set. He was very sweet tempered. In the open, especially under saddle, he was full of vitality. His descendants, all grey, all closely resembled him.

Despite new breeding successes and strenuous efforts at preserving the Stud, it was impossible to make ends meet. In 1932 the Princess reluctantly decided to make over the Royal Arabian Stud, now more than 115 years old, to the State of Wurttemberg, because the will of William I forbade the Stud to be disbanded. It is a historical fact that the State of Wurttemberg took over this royal heritage and gave the Stud a new home at the venerable Principal State Stud at Marbach. Seventeen horses, descendants of famous ancestors, left Weil for an uncertain future and greatly altered circumstances. Soon after, they settled down in the hills of the Swabian Alb, and gave rise to new hopes. But had it not been for the enthusiasm and care with which several keen and courageous men, such as Prof. Dr. Sohnle of Hohenheim and above all stud manager Storz, accepted this new challenge in spite of the economic crisis, then the oldest, purest, and most precious source of Arabian blood in Germany would have been irretrievably lost. We owe a deep debt of gratitude to the State of Wurttemberg for saving the cultural heritage of this unique Arabian stud. Ever since that day in 1932, Arabian horses have galloped over the paddocks of Marbach and given pleasure to many horse lovers. To thousands of visitors, and especially to the young, these beautiful horses on the vast enclosures shaded by huge beech trees are an unforgettable sight.

(end)
This book was actually a Marbach Stud Book if I recall correctly, with what I've posted being the 'intro"...?
I have some more related files and will try to sort through those and get more posted.

#6 BewitchedArabians

BewitchedArabians

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 25 December 2007 - 04:20 PM

List of stallions in alphabetical order used at Weil 1817-1931
[This list comes from the Weil studbook. It is a list of stallions that were used at Weil. Most have offspring that have produced at Weil.]

Amurath, 1829, grey, by Bairactar out of Sady III at stud in Weil from 1933-1857
Amurath, 1855, grey, by Amurath 1829 out of Geyran III at stud in Weil from 1859-1866
Amurath, 1881, grey, by Tajar 1873 out of Koheil III at stud in Weil from 1885-1895
Araber, 1905, grey, by Salamander out of Amadine at stud in Weil 1908
Arcoub, 1854, grey, by Amurath 1829 out of Saja III at stud in Weil from 1858-1881
Bairactar, 1813, grey, Imported from the desert at stud in Weil from 1817-1838
Bangor, 1848, black, Bought or imported in 1852 at stud in Weil from 1852-1854
Bournu, grey, imported in 1819 at stud in Weil from 1819-1824
Bournu, 1821, grey, by Bournu out of Kabron I at stud in Weil 1825
Bournu, 1849, grey, by Amurath 1829 out of Beko III at stud in Weil from 1853-1869
Chaban, grey, imported in 1833 at stud in Weil from 1833-1839
Chaban, 1844, bay, by Amurath 1829 out of Mara III at stud in Weil from1848-1864
Cham, 1835, chestnut, imported from Damascus in 1841 at stud in Weil from 1841-1851
Dachaman, 1873, grey, by Seglavi out of Kereja VI at stud in Weil from 1877-1888
Damascus, 1843, grey, by Amurath 1829 out of a non Arabian mare
Djeilan, 1890, chestnut, imported in 1898 at stud in Weil from 1899-1904
Djerid, 1871, grey, imported from Egypt Abbas Pasha at stud in Weil from 1876-1890
Doge, 1891, bay, by Scheik out of Dueba at stud in Weil from 1896-1905
Dolmetscher, 1901, grey, by Doge out of Amadine at stud in Weil 1907
Dzelaby, 1836, grey imported or bought in 1847 at stud in Weil from 1847-1854
Gadir, 1847, grey, imported from Egypt Abbas Pasha in 1861 at stud in Weil from 1861-1866
Hedban, 1848, bay, imported from Egypt from Khedive Pasha in 1852 at stud in Weil from 1852-1853
Jemscheed, 1840, grey, bought or imported from England at stud in Weil from 1847-1851
Mazud, 1838, grey, by Bairactar out of Hazam IV at stud in Weil from 1842-1848
Padischah, 1826, grey, imported or bought in 1838 at stud in Weil from 1838-1842
Padischah, 1884, bay, imported in 1893 from the Sultan of Turkey at stud in Weil from 1894-1898
Salamander, 1897, grey, by Doge out of Sarah at stud in Weil from 1902-1905
Samum 1901, chestnut by Souakim out of Sylphide I at stud in Weil 1905
Scheik, 1868, black, imported from Egypt Abbas Pasha in 1876 at stud in Weil from 1876-1893
Seglavi, 1864, grey, by Bournu out of Hamdany VI at stud in Weil from 1868-1884
Seladon, 1903, bay, by Doge out of Sylphide I at stud in Weil 1907
Selim, 1828, grey by Bairactar out of Sady III at stud in Weil 1832
Selim, 1896, grey, by Amurath 1881 out of Selma at stud in Weil from1903-1906
Souakim, 1894, chestnut, imported in utero by original arab out of Smyrna at stud in Weil 1899
Sultan Mahmud, grey, imported or bought in 1828 at stud in Weil from 1828-1837
Sybarit, grey, 1902, by Souakim out of Sylphide I at stud in Weil from 1906-1907
Tajar, bay, 1851, by Amurath 1829 out of Geyran III at stud in Weil from 1855-1866
Tajar, bay, 1862, by Tajar 1851 out of Daria VI at stud in Weil from 1867-1877
Tajar, bay, 1873, by Tajar 1862 out of Obeja at stud in Weil from 1877-1887
Zarif, grey, 1837, imported or bought in 1852 at stud in Weil from 1852-1859

List of the mare families that have produced on at Weil.

Family I Murana I 1808 (Still in existence today)
Family II Hassfoura 1811 female tail line of the stallion Tajar 1873
Family III Geyran I 1811 female tail line of Tajar 1851 and Amurath 1855
Family IV Kabron I 1813 female tail line of Bournu 1821
Family V Hamdany I 1816 female tail line of Selim 1828, Amurath 1829, Mazud 1838 and Salamander 1897
Family VI Czebessie II 1814 female tail line of Bournu 1849, Dachaman 1873, Seglavi 1864, Amurath 1881, Doge 1891, Araber 1905,
Family VII Koheil-Aguse
Family VIII Smyrna 1890, female tail line of Souakim 1894
Family IX Nadja 1955 (Still in existence today)
Family X Moheba I 1951 (Still in existence today)

The list of these mares are the original imported mares that did produce on at Weil. All except Murana I, Nadja dnd Moheba I are lost in female lines. They are however found commonly in the Polish horses mostly through Amurath Sahib.

Murana I had 16 generations through 1971
Hassfoura female line had 9 generations
Geyran I had 4 generations
Kabron I had 2 generations. Just her and her son Bournu 1821 (btw-she was a black mare)
Hamdany I had 11 generations
Czebessie II had 12 generations
Koheil-Aguse had 5 generations
Smyrna had 3 generations
Nadja in 1971 had 2
Moheba had 4 generations

#7 MagnoliaArabians

MagnoliaArabians

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 25 December 2007 - 04:30 PM

Thanks for posting this.It was really interesting.

#8 BewitchedArabians

BewitchedArabians

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 25 December 2007 - 04:52 PM

List of WEIL horses transferred to Marbach 1932:

Stallions:

Jasir, D.B., grey, 1925 by Mabrouk Manial out of Nigma bred at the Manial Stud in Egypt.
Schahseman, bay, 1927 by Koheilan IV out of Sardoina
Kurde, grey, 1929 by Dynamit out of Carmen
Casanova, grey 1932 by Jasir out of Kassandra

Mares:

Soldateska, grey, 1911 by Souakim out of Sylphide
Subeida, grey, 1928 by Demir Kaja out of Soldateska
Caesaria, bay, 1927 by Koheilan IV out of Carmen
Carmen, bay, 1915 by Dardziling out of Sardine
Khasa, grey, 1931 by Dynamit out of Carmen
Glaukopis, grey, 1932 by Jasir out of Carmen
Czeska, grey, 1932 by Jasir out of Caesaria
Doris, grey, 1916 by Dardziling out of Sardine
Dongola, grey, 1932 by Jasir out of Doris
Dinarsad, grey, 1928 by Dynamit out of Doris
Sardoina, bay, 1923 by Demir Kaja out of Sardine
Seerosle, grey, 1927 by Koheilan IV out of Sardine
Kassandra, bay, 1926 by Koheilan IV out of Carmine

(I goofed before, that wasn't the "end" from the Wenzler book...so continuing on now with the transition from Weil to Marbach from the stud book 1817-1971)

by Dr. Georg Wenzler

The transfer of the Weil breeding stock to the Principal State Stud Marbach in 1932 meant a new start. It is true that the Arabians only made up a small part of the total stud operation, but Marbach offered far greater scope for development and the move ensured safeguarding a breeding tradition which had spanned four generations and more than a hundred years. Herr Storz, the director of the Stud, carried out this new task with great energy and enthusiasm, he considered himself the trustee of an old Wurttemberg heritage. It was essential to carry on the tradition of breeding purebred Arabians, as well as using them to improve the Wurttemberg warm-blood horse breeds.

According to reports and other evidence, the horses stood the move remarkably well, although the transfer from the mild climate of the lowlands of the Neckar valley to the highlands of the Swabian Alb must have put the animals under great strain. But the move to tougher conditions also had advantages. Marbach owed its foundation, centuries earlier, in 1573, to the realization that the rugged conditions of the Swabian Alb produced harder horses than the milder conditions of the Neckar valley. Marbach was originally a small private stud of the Dukes of Wurttemberg, under their care it soon grew in importance. In 1817, King William I altered the statutes of the stud: he founded Weil, took Marbach off his private list and made it a State Stud.

Arab blood was not unknown in Marbach. Over the years many Arab stallions from the Royal Stud had stood there for improving the local breeds. They were mostly proven sires for partbreds or sires which did not transmit proper type in purebreds. From the beginning of the 19th century the Arab infusion into local breeds of Wurttemberg continued to increase so that today almost every warm-blood horse in Wurttemberg carries at least one Arab cross. Clearly, a connection between the good disposition and hardness of the Wurttembergs warm-bloods and this Arabian inheritance must exist. The most important of these stallions were: Young Zarif (1860-1868), Jasir (1928-1948), and, more recently, his son Jason. The first name is often found in old Wurttemberg mare lines, the latter have had considerable recent influence. Arab blood was to prove itself again and again in the mare band at Marbach.

The years of transition 1932-1948

Only one of all the original mare lines developed during the foundation period at Weil was moved to Marbach. This was the Murana I line through Sabal ( I have a picture) which included the branches of Said-SylphideI and of Saoud-Savona-Sardine. The foundation was thus based on a comparatively narrow genetic basis. Other famous and sometimes outstanding female lines had presumably become extinct under the pressures of retrenchment. As the transferred horses all belonged to one and the same line freedom of action was restricted and it was necessary to broaden the genetic base.

At first, there was little cause for concern as long as the outstanding Jasir was senior stallion. In the period between 1931 and 1947, he sired 22 fillies and 24 colts. Many, perhaps too many, of his offspring were sold. It is to be regretted that except for Jason, out of Dinarsad, and Jager, out of Caesaria, no other Jasir son was retained in the stud as a future sire. For instance, Casanova, born in 1932 out of Kassandra, who combined excellent breeding with good conformation , was not considered worthy of succeeding his sire.
At the time of transfer, the small Arabian stud consisted of six young mares at their ideal breeding age: the Demir Kaja daughters Subeida and Sardoina, the Koheilan IV daughters Caesaria, Kassandra and Seerosle, and the Dynamit daughter Dinarsad. The well-proven matrons Soldateska by Souakim, Carmen and Doris, both by Dardziling, were already between 16 and 21 years old, and further offsprings from them could only be expected by a stroke of luck. Indeed, in 1933 Carmen had to be retired because of broken wind, Doris soon became sterile, and Soldateska had to be put down in 1935, her skeleton was donated to the Agricultural College at Hohenheim.

Although at first glance, the transfer stock appeared to provide a sufficiently broad base for further breeding, only the mares Soldateska, Carmen, Doris, through her daughter Dinarsad, and to some extent Kassandra, bred on. The mares Khasa, Glaukopis, Czeska, and Dongola were transferred to the Trakehnen Stud in 1935, which further narrowed the genetic base. The economic pressures of the time and the need to earn income were heavy burdens on the Stud, this explains why so little of the precious Jasir blood was retained. It was only preserved in a few mares; today, the quality of his daughters compensates for the lack in quantity. In the male line, except for Jager, out of Caesarea, who was later to stand successfully at the stud of Aaby Ericson in Sweden, and Jason, out of Dinarsad, none of the many Jasir sons were given an opportunity to ensure a wider propagation of this breeding. It would have been obvious, and in keeping with the classical inbreeding methods practiced at Weil, to produce a strongly inbred Jasir grandson to carry on.

Thanks to Jasir, the Stud soon began to develop well; with a foaling rate of 85% of conceptions, and average of 7.3 foals were born each year up to 1944. It was however obvious that the stallion question hung by a thread. After the turbulent years of World War II the Stud faced almost insuperable problems. When Jasir was sold in 1948, the choice, for want of a better successor, fell on the stallion Ahmet. Ahmet, by Ali out of Nigra-zscheiplitz, was born in 1922 at the Roblingen Stud near Buckeburg. He was a stallion of very Arabian type. All his descendants had good type, but they were highly strung and nervous. In the author’s opinion, this was a suspicious sign in an Arabian. His sire Ali was of the Dahman Shahwan strain. He was said to have the quality of a desert Arabian. From the Turkish General Izzel Pasha, who had received him as a gift from a Bedouin prince, Ali had been imported to Roblingen.

From 1938 to 1944 Ahmet was used at Marbach alongside Jasir to test his suitability as a sire. Ahmet’s dam was Nigra-Zscheiplitz. Closer investigation revealed that six generations back, the female ancestors of Mazud, from the Royal Bavarian Arab Stud of Rohrenfeld, who was in the pedigree of Nigra-Zscheiplitz, were not pure. Ahmet was therefore struck off the purebred register. The disqualification of Ahmet and the departure of Jasir were a heavy blow to the already narrow foundation of the Marbach Arabians. All Ahmet’s offspring had to be eliminated to keep the breed pure. Yet nobody entertained the slightest doubt that Weil-Marbach could only achieve its declared aim if the purity of the blood was preserved. Years had passed in sheer waster, the mares had grown older, and the survival of the Arabian breeding at Marbach was at risk. A new start had to be made on the stallion question. The end of the war had disrupted all former links with such studs as Babolna, Radautz, the Polish Studs, and even more so with the Middle East; this made the acquisition of a suitable senior stallion not only difficult, but well nigh impossible. In this emergency situation, use was made for a time of the stallion Kuhailan-Zaid II-1, who had been evacuated to Marbach with a Hungarian stud. But this stallion too, valuable as he was because he carried the desert blood of Kuhailan-Zaid of Babolna, was not recognized as purebred, and the pure side of the breeding was in danger of being lost altogether. It must have been an act of sheer desperation when in 1946 and 1947, after Kuhailan-Zaid II-1 had been repatriated, a Barb stallion of unknown parentage was used.

In 1948 the Stud was at its lowest point. Valuable mares produced no foals, and worse, there was no suitable senior stallion. In addition, health and fertility of the stock were threatened by an infection from outside which crippled the entire breeding program at Marbach. It was a stroke of luck that the Janow-Podlaski bred stallion Wind, formerly Wyrwidab by Ofir out of Jaga II, had come to be stranded in East Friesland as a result of the war. This was a last resort, and at this ultimate hour E. Bilke, unforgotten friend and expert of the Arabian horse, was able to secure this stallion for Marbach. True, the best Jasir son, Jason out of Dinarsad, had to be handed over to East Friesland in exchange, but the sacrifice was small compared with the threat of complete annihilation which hung over the Weil breeding. Moreover, Jason proved to be a more than adequate replacement for Wind, whose offspring had been in great demand at a time when increased mechanization called for improvement of the East-Friesian horse. The produce of Jason’s matings with East-Friesian mares had beauty, harmony, and hardness. Later, from 1950 to 1953, Jason stood in the Hannover area, and again proved the excellence of the consolidated Weil-Marbach breeding when put to mares of the Hannoverian line of Amurath, descendants of the famous Amurath 1881 of Weil.

From 1948 to 1950 Wind was senior stallion at Marbach, at a time when matters had reached an all-time low. Only now did the effects of the war make themselves acutely felt. During the wartime upheavals, remote Marbach had been a refuge for foreign studs. Inevitably, sheltering refugee stock brought with it the risk of epidemic contamination. Breeding stock, including the Arabian mares, were seriously affected - Other mares miscarried or were barren. Moreover, the few surviving foals were not even valuable and remained weaklings. Against all odds, Wind sired 8 colts and 4 fillies in three covering seasons, but unfortunately in 1951, illness brought his activities to a sudden halt. He left behind some good produce, particularly Winarsad 1949(I have a photo), a Dinarsad daughter of classical beauty, and the outstanding Wilja 1950, out of Isabella.

Wind was stocky, broad, bright bay in colour, a spare eater, with a strong constitution and good disposition. In his willingness and intelligence, he was a true Arabian. He measured 156 centimetres (15.1 hands). He was somewhat lacking in conformation and hardness, although he traced to the very best ancestors in Polish Arabian breeding. Great hopes were placed in him as he was the son of Ofir and grandson of Kuhailan-Haifi, the founder of Arabian breeding in Poland today. Among others Ofir was the sire of Witraz, Wielki Szlem, Witez II, and of a whole string of fine mares. Wind’s dam Jaga II 1928 by Kuhailan I, senior stallion at Janow-Podlaski and later at Babolna, was descended from an eminent mare line, which gained fame through Saga 1936 and her daughter Canaria by Trypolis, dam of the stallion Karmin (owned by Schmidt-Krayer, Hulsenbusch), and other Polish broodmares. Through Wind’s ancestors, Koheilan IV and Amurath 1881, the old lines of Weil were reinfused into Marbach.
The author of this report, when appointed as successor to the stud manager Herr Storz at Marbach, was immediately faced by the unexpected demise of Wind with the problem of acquiring a stallion in order to continue Arabian breeding at the stud.

The years of development from 1949-1971

A chance encounter provided the opportunity to acquire as senior stallion Halef (Towrzysz Pancerny), who had until then been used at the Achental Stud of G. Griesbach. It is true that an intensive study of the history of the Weil Stud had filled the author with the burning desire and the will to carry on the old Weil tradition of preserving the true type through infusion of Oriental blood from the desert. There was, for financial reasons alone, no chance of putting this dream into practice at once, but it was just as impossible to delay, as Wind’s condition was visibly declining. Thus the bay stallion Halef was leased. He was by Enwer Bey 1923 out of Kasztelanka. Enwer Bey was considered almost perfect in type. Halef was half-brother to the famous Trypolis 1937, senior stallion at Janow-Podlaski in Poland from 1939 to 1944, and later at Nowy Dwor. Enwer Bey’s dam, the famous Koalicja, traced to Koheilan IV and Amurath 1881 and so what related to the Marbach lines. Halef’s bay colour was much in demand. He stood from 1951 to 1955 at Marbach. Although not very extreme in Arabian type, he was a solid, well-coupled, compact horse with an excellent topline and good conformation. His action was animated with good extension. He sired 34 foals in all, including the three Jatta daughters, Haita, Hathor and Hajar, and the colt Haladin, out of Jadine by Jasir, who did well at the stud of Prince von Knyphausen at Lutetsburg.

In 1955, when Halef was retired, conditions seemed finally right to resume the old tradition of acquiring a stallion bred in the Orient. With the help of Tibor von Pettko-Sandner, an Arabian expert of world renown, the grey stallion Hadban Enzahi, of that strain, was purchased from the El Zahraa Stud. He measures 60/70/7. His sire Nazeer was one of the best sires of the last decade, and his dam Kamla, by Sheikh El Arab, was one of the most beautiful mares at the stud. She traced in the female line to Hadba, born 1894, bred by the Khedive Abbas II at Koubah.

Hadban Enzahi belongs to the same male line as Jasir, i.e. the line of Ali Pasha Sherif’s Saklawi I, the famous Sakalaoui Jidrani al Azrak al Kebir. Today Nazeer blood is to be found all over the world, some of his best sons and daughters are in the United States where they are among the top Arabians. In Germany, we have besides Hadban Enzahi the Nazeer sons Ghazal (Domken, Meitze) and Kaisoon (Duisburg Zoo).
Hadban Enzahi traces to Mabrouk Manial, one of the key stallions of Egyptian breeding, according to Pettko-Sandtner, and he carries several crosses to the ancestors of Jasir, Jasir’s sire being the same Mabrouk Manial, bred by Prince Mohamed Ali. He also has the stallion Kazmeen in his pedigree who carries three crosses the the Koheilan Jellabi strain, also the strain of Jasir. Thanks to this combination of most valuable lines in his pedigree, Hadban Enzahi has great promise. He is the perfect desert type, with excellent conformation and floating action which he passes on to all his offspring. His disposition is flawless and he is extremely friendly. He has been senior stallion since 1956.

In order to broaden the genetic base of the stud two outcrosses were used; in 1964, the Polish bred Karmin 1952 by Ofir (I think it is an error and should be Witraz, on the other pages of the stud book it list Karmin as a son of Witraz not Ofir) out of Canaria; and in 1965 and 1966, Hadban Enzahi’s half -brother Ghazal, by Nazeer out of Bukra. Karmin (owned by Schmidt-Krayer, Hulsenbusch) is a stallion of marked Polish typed, with good conformation, and has proved himself on the racecourse. He has sired some excellent daughters. Ghazal dazzles by his incredibly beautiful head, his extreme Arabian type, his lively but gentle disposition, so that one overlooks only too easily his slightly weak back. The intention of using Ghazal was to inbreed Nazeer. First experiments were highly successful and the results offer a certain safeguard in the provision of a stallion were anything to happen to Hadban Enzahi. Between 1965 and 1970 our uppermost concern has been to consolidate the Egyptian inheritance on the one hand and the old Weil bloodlines on the other. Careful inbreeding is being carried out with great success to such outstanding horses as Bairactar, Jasir, and Nazeer. It is the author’s opinion that this venture is not only possible but highly promising. Today Hadban Enzahi has some 80 offspring. Some of his sons, of excellent quality, represent his blood at studs in this country and abroad. At Marbach he has given us some excellent daughters and is especially successful in consolidating the pure Egyptian lines.

When breeding horses it is important to look far ahead. The search for an eventual successor to Hadban Enzahi started in January 1970. Because the Nazeer blood was firmly implanted, we were anxious to find a stallion who, although of different blood, would provide a link with the Hadban Enzahi and Jasir lines. It seemed to us no less important, after using several grey stallions, to chose one with solid colour. It was not easy to find a suitable candidate meeting all these demands. Eventually the choice fell upon the black stallion Gharib, born 1st of April 1965, by Anter out of Souhair, at El Zahraa, the stud of the Egyptian Agricultural Organisation. He belongs to the Hadban strain, carries crosses to the two stallions mentioned before, and traces to important horses in Egyptian breeding. According to Raswan, Anter is a Seglawi Jedran of Ibn Sudan, being a grandson of Abla III by El Zafer out of Bint Zareefa I. Gharib is now being tested alongside Hadban Enzahi.

The purchase of this stallion has led many interested breeders of Arab horses to ask about Marbach’s future breeding plans, wondering whether using an Egyptian stallion implied that other lines were considered less valuable. There can be no question of this; we fully appreciate the outstanding results of Arabian breeding in various countries, but our concern at Marbach is to continue the old tradition of using Arabians bred in the desert. In all honesty, however, and here we ask forgiveness, we wish to declare our love for the desert Arabian type. When looking at old prints of Bairactar and Amurath 1829, or other stallions used in our breeding, we recognize the true, original work of art formed by nature, irrespective of the lures of chance and human whim. This is our ideal. We sense in these great horses an element of timelessness and longing for freedom and the vast expanses of the desert. Moreover, we pursue this ideal also for realistic reasons. In the past, the wealth of classic Arabians in the East was such that it provided an inexhaustible source for the replenishment of European breeding. Today the evaporation of this source is in sight. It is therefore up to us to maintain pure sources in our own countries, so as to hand down this heritage to the generations to come.

(and THAT, *I think*, finishes/completes the text I have from the book...are you all cross-eyed now, lol? Have just a bit more can add on some of the horses, to follow in another post...)

#9 Comstock Lode

Comstock Lode

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,307 posts

Posted 25 December 2007 - 05:09 PM

(and THAT, *I think*, finishes/completes the text I have from the book...are you all cross-eyed now, lol? Have just a bit more can add on some of the horses, to follow in another post...)

Tabatha , thank you so much for taking the time to post all this . Please keep going if you are willing .....

#10 BewitchedArabians

BewitchedArabians

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 25 December 2007 - 05:47 PM

Following is info on some of the horses from the stud book, I think...again, as I am copying & pasting from what Dominique had long ago sent me, ignore typos/mispellings and references to pictures (if I don't get them edited out) as I do not have the pictures, only the text). This will read weird/is not really formatted correctly instead just sort of "notes"...interesting nonetheless....

Halef (Enwer Bey x Kastelanka), bay stallion, born 1937-1964
breeder: Janow Poldlaski/PL owner: German State Stud/Germany
was also leased to Achental/GER aka "Towarszysz Pancerny" which means "Iron Friend" He came to Germany through the calvery that flew from the Russians. He was very correct and "deep". His head could be more Arabic. He was a influental sire who produced correct foal with excellent legs.
8 daughters remained in the breeding program, among them:
Haita, Hathor, Hamdi.
2 sons belonged to the most influental: Haladin (x Hamdi) and
Kalif. Achental bred Kalif, the others were bred by Marbach.

Dinarsad, "honey grey" mare, born 1928 at the Royal
State Stud Weil/GER
her name meant "Gold Child"
sire: Dynamit (Souakim x Dueba)
dam: Doris (Dardziling x Sardine)
facts:
out of Murana I-family of Weil. Her sire was ridden by
the son-in-law of King Wilhelm II of Germany during
the Russian compaigne (first WW).
Dinarsad was known as having straight head and
shoulder, strong back, good hindlegs.
10 foals, among them the mares Winette (by Wind),
Jadine (by Jasir), Hamdi (by Halef), Winarsad (by
Wind) and the stallion Jason (by Jasir).

Jasir, gr stallion, born in 1925
breeder: Prince Mohammed Ali, Manial Palace/EG
owner: Royal State Stud Weil, later Marbach, retired
at Mr. Baumgartner's stud/Germany
sire: Mabrouk Manial (Saklawi II x Tarfa)
dam: Negma (Dahman El Azrak x Bint Yamama)
facts:
last imported horse for Royal State Stud Weil. The
Princess of Weil (Germany) sent Mr. Carl Raswan to buy
this stallion for her stud Weil. She saw him on a
picture. Indeed Raswan wanted to sell him to the USA
for $15,000 but got no permission by the Egyptians.
They permitted to export him to Germany. So he was
brought on a ship to Germany in 1930. He was known as
"one of the three most noble horses outside Arabia"
(nobody knows who the other two were). Nowadays
we would name him a beauty, his body was stocky, not
very exotic in type. straight shoulder (so no much
trot action), but with a gentle nature.
He was a "broodmare maker". Only 2 sons were used in
breeding programs.
sire from 1931-1932 in Weil, after dispersal he came
to Marbach and was used there until 1947.

Jatta, gr mare, 1933-1959
breeder: Royal State Stud Weil/GER
owner: Weil, later Marbach/GER
sire: Jasir (Mabrouk Manial x Nigma), bred by Mohamed
Ali/EG
dam: Soldateska (Souakim x Sylphide I), bred by Royal
State Stud Weil/GER
facts:
had 8 foals by non-purebred stallion, lost her first
foal by a purebred stallion, when 19 she got her first
purebred Arabian foal by Halef named Haita. Two
full-sisters to Haita were born in the following years:
Hathor (1955), Sahmet (1957).
No refined beauty as the show mares of today, but an
important broodmare who, unfortunately, had only had 6
purebred foals.

Joschi, gr mare, 1949-1973
breeder: Achental/GER (stud later moved to Argentina)
last owner: Carl-Heinz Doemken/GER
sire: Halef (Enwer Bey x Kasztelanka by Koheilan VIII)
dam: Jacaranda (Jasir x Caesarea)
facts:
left three siblings (a son and two daughters) at
Achental stud, before she was bought by Mr. Doemken for
his stud.
dam of Jowiszah (by Wisznu), Ninive (by Nizar) and
Nurabi (by Nizar)
died when foaling.

Kanzler, gr stallion, 1941
breeder: Trakehnen Stud (East Prussia, now Poland)
owner: Dr. Kaufmann/GER
sire: Lowelas (Koheilan VIII x Elegantka)
dam: Khamza (Fetysz x Karima)
facts:
was an outstanding dressage horse, his owner showed
him sucessfully at Dressage shows up to S-level (most
heaviest level in the German system)
was leased to Marbach (German State stud), left only
two daughters (most important daughter Smoky out of
Hathor is "German Elite Mare") and one son (not
influentally used).

Nizar, ch stallion, 1953-1983, 15.0 hh
breeder: Dr. Houtappel, Rodania stud/HOLLAND
owner: Mr. Carl-Heinz Doemken/GER
sire: Nizzam (Rissam x Nezma)
dam: Sulka (Naseem x Nurshida)
facts:
from Crabbet bloodlines, he came to Germany in 1956 as
a circus horse named "Darling". Mr. Doemken saw him
there in 1960. The people didn't want to let hime go,
but the owner of the circus bought him to Doemken (his
first Arabian horse).
Nizar did dressage lections, circus lections, was also
used as farm horse.
He had a special expression that attracted many
people. Even Dr. Houtappel was sad about purchasing
him once, so he leased him for three of his mares.
Nizar left 21 foals only but among them are "crackers"
like Nuri Schalan (x Wega, left 48 foals), Nazir (x
Sachara, with 32 foals), Nurabi (x Joschi), Nemsi
Effendi (x Ayesha) and the mare Ninive (x Joschi, 11
foals)

Wisznu, b stallion, 1943-1968
breeder: unknown
owner: Achental stud/GER
sire: Witez II (Ofir x Federacja)
dam: Malaga (Mazepa II x Hebda)
facts:
breeder is not known, some people say that he was bred
by Prince Radziwilli, others say that he was bred by
Janow stud (Witez II was standing there before
exported to the USA); his siblings were bred by Mr.
Piotraszewski. all are in common that he was born
during the escape from the Russians in WW2, was never
registered in the Polish stud book.
Because of the escape he (as foal) got not much milk
from his mother, so was very little when arriving
Germany. There we as sold to a farmer. His breeding
career started at Achental stud after a lady
discovered him in a circus.
sire of Jowiszah (x Joschi) and Kassam (x Kassandra)
who is sire of the well-known Joka-Tuam (x Jobiah) and
Wisznu was sire of the legandary Sawih Ibn Wisznu (x
Sabine).

Lowelas chestnut stallion. He was 15.2 hands and foaled at Janow Podlaski, Poland in 1930
by XXXIV Koheilan IV-3 out of 166 Elegantka by Bakszysz. He was Chief Breeding Stallion at Trakehnen 1940-1944 and continues on in today's Trakehner pedigrees.

Fetysz grey stallion, was 15h, also
foaled at Janow Podlaski, Poland in 1924
by Bakszysz. out of Siglavi-Bagdady
Chief Breeding Stallion at Trakehnen 1937-1944. Continues on in today's Trakehner
pedigrees (his distant descendants include Olympians Peron who won a bronze medal in dressage at Atlanta, Abdullah who won Gold and Silver in Jumping in Los Angeles and Pan- Am bronze medalist Amiego.)

Roszka (Kuhailan Ajouz I x 236 Kuhailan Zaid), grey mare, 1945
breeder: Babolna/HUN
owner: Achental/GER, later Dr. Lehrmann/GDR
aka "Kuhailan Ajouz I-12"
she was a strong but not noble mare, one mare became
broodmare: Rualla (by Kalif). Rualla was not a
beautiful mare, but one of the best broodmares.
in 1953 she was bought by Dr. K. Lehrmann/GDR in foal
to Wisznu. in 1954 Wesir was born, a bay stallion that
was used in the warmblood breeding programs. Another
famous son of Roszka was the chestnut Raswan by
Adonah.

...I think that's about all I've got to post...whew!
Glad y'all are enjoying it, lol! You actually caught me in a 'rare mood', lol, being as I don't post much/often...surely made up for that now though, heehee...

And to ask a favor---AuburnRose, (or Mods!) can you go back to the original post and edit the thread title to add WEIL to it? That would be helpful to others who may not otherwise bother to read the thread, and for future reference it'll make it easier to find the info about Weil should someone else come along asking...