Photo
- - - - -

Kontiki the Great

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
35 replies to this topic

#31 Rosealba Farm

Rosealba Farm

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,135 posts

Posted 14 June 2010 - 05:15 AM

Sue,

My Dad's family has been in Alabama since the 1700's. Basically central Alabama Clio and Blue Springs Area. My Uncle Edward was the mayor of Clio and it is funny but my Uncle Billy was the Deputy Mayor. What a hoot. Blue Springs would be missed if you blinked your eyes as you drove through but it is still a lovely community with lots of memories that are all good.

You are correct about missing the Dry climate but the beauty of all the green forest is amazing.

Beverly does have some health issues and it is my understanding that Tom (her son-in-law) and her daughter are going to move back there to help take care of her and I guess take to managing Spear Bar. They are good people and I have great confidence in them.

I think Tom will get the Stables back on the map as well as on the net so that people of our demeanor will realize what heritage and help the history and knowledge at Spear Bar can be to those of us that love horses.

Stephen

I hope you are right. That would be great if they would pick up where Bev and her husband left off. So many herds are destroyed by heirs after a relative's death. They don't understand so do not want to continue to feed the horses so send them to auction. They don't see it as a life's work, just and impediment to selling the property.

Yeah, politics in the Bible belt. They are different but very entertaining and sometimes scary. The good old boy system is alive and well and very blatant here.

Sue

#32 Stephen Shehane

Stephen Shehane

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 14 June 2010 - 06:47 AM

Sue,

The great thing about both my uncles is they hate the "good ole boy" net work. It was a real unusual situation but one you could be proud of.

I truly think Tom and his wife will do well. They are committed to horses and ranching. Tom is a really good guy and doesn't mind rolling up his sleeves and working. He also loves Beverly, more like a son than a son-in-law but why would he not? Beverly has treated him like her own and of course that is just who and what Beverly is.

Savannah and I love her and would do just about anything to help her. Keep her in your prayers.

Maybe we will get to meet face to face and compare war stories or at least Horse Stories.

Stephen

I hope you are right. That would be great if they would pick up where Bev and her husband left off. So many herds are destroyed by heirs after a relative's death. They don't understand so do not want to continue to feed the horses so send them to auction. They don't see it as a life's work, just and impediment to selling the property.

Yeah, politics in the Bible belt. They are different but very entertaining and sometimes scary. The good old boy system is alive and well and very blatant here.

Sue

#33 Stephen Shehane

Stephen Shehane

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 14 October 2010 - 02:08 AM

Peter,

I have a Kontiki descendent which I purchased from Bev in Fallon. I finally got his papers straightened out. Darrell had died by the time I met Bev. My wife and I absolutely love her. She has forgotten more about horses than I will ever know but I purchased Reno from her about 3 years ago. He just turned 11. He is quite the stud but is also quite the lover when it comes to me. My wife says when I have to travel for several days he just gets a bad attitude with everyone. Reno, is 3 generations back from Kontiki on his Mare's side. His Studs side is out of Rev's Super Star so he is a Quarab. We got his Pinto's papers straightened out and will have his Quarab papers straightened out shortly but the Arabian association seems to be agreeable to registering him as a half Arabian.

You can contact me if you wish via email: stephenshehane@live.com

Hope to hear from you, both my wife and I are horse lovers.

Stephen

Living in N. Nevada gave me the opportunity to see many Kontiki descendents. When the Kubela/Rodgers herd was dispersed many of the horses including Ibn Kontiki a chestnut and Tiki Tessar a grey ended up with the trainer Darrel Thomas and his wife Bev in Fallon, Nevada. By the way, Beb told me that Tiki Tessar was considered Kontiki's most look alike son by the people who knew him best. Even some of the grooms at the tracks would comment about that upon seeing him. What I noticed was most if not all of the greys looked very much like Kontiki. Similar shape of head, wedged and breedy but not dishy, same neck set, shoulder, wither and overall look. The other feature that came over and over in the herd was good feet and legs that were well set down. Very square, balanced horses. Now good conformation was prevalent throughout the herd as the Thomas's were good horseman and new how to continue breeding this herd but the Kontiki look was uncanny in the greys even in those horses with one cross a couple of generations back. A real good example of color and phenotype showing through the herd of greys. We boutght a grey Sam Counts daughter out of a Tiki Tessar daughter from Darrel and Bev and she looks far more Kontiki than her sire line. Being as prepotent as he was with his color and type, we shouldn't be surprised that he would also pass along his athleticism to most of his get including the non-greys who may not have looked like him as much but certainly had the ability to run.

Just an observation I thought I would share.

Regards,
Peter Mileo

#34 Stephen Shehane

Stephen Shehane

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 28 October 2010 - 03:22 AM

Who is the stud you have?

Regards,
Peter Mileo

Peter,

I have Rev's Super Reno out of Rev's Super Star and IBN Tootsie who is out of IBN Kontiki. You can contact me directly at stephenshehane@live.com.

Stephen

#35 Stephen Shehane

Stephen Shehane

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 28 October 2010 - 04:05 AM

Hi Stephen:

I'd love to meet you someday. I never heard of Revs Super Reno. I thought maybe you were going to take Cowboy or Time to Tiki. Who is his sire and dam?

Regards,
Peter Mileo

Stud: Rev's Super Star
Dam: IBN Tootsie out of IBN Kontiki

#36 Stephen Shehane

Stephen Shehane

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 15 November 2010 - 12:48 PM

Hi Stephen:

I'd love to meet you someday. I never heard of Revs Super Reno. I thought maybe you were going to take Cowboy or Time to Tiki. Who is his sire and dam?

Regards,
Peter Mileo

Peter,

Sorry for not getting back quicker. I have been up to my eyes with a project and have not even moved back to Nevada due to this project. Hopefully I will finished just after Thanksgiving and get my babies moved out there then. Please contact me via email or phone anytime. stephenshehane@live.com or 775-385-8233. I would love to talk horses but I honestly think my wife would love it more she is quite the cowgirl.