Photo
- - - - -

Kontiki the Great

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
35 replies to this topic

#21 Peter Mileo

Peter Mileo

City Slicker Ranch

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,044 posts

Posted 13 June 2010 - 02:09 PM

Peter,

I have a 3rd generation Stud out of Kontiki the Great. I actually got him from Bev. I will be moving him to Mesquite in July. He is a marvelous horse, exceptionally intelligent and very very well mannered for a stud. Have you heard from Bev lately? I speak with her Son-in-law Tom Jones several times a week and we are all concerned for Bev. She is a wonderful Equestrian as was her husband.

Stephen Shehane

Who is the stud you have?

Regards,
Peter Mileo

City Slicker Ranch, Home of Magic Aulrab, 1993 Chestnut Stallion SCID and CA Clear and Constantene, 2006 Pure Polish Grey Arabian Stallion SCID Clear, CA Carrier, LFS Clear and Homozygous for Grey

#22 Rosealba Farm

Rosealba Farm

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,135 posts

Posted 13 June 2010 - 02:50 PM

I'd like to know too. For lovers of those lines, there are several mares that are descendents of the Rogers/Kubela racing program listed for sale at some of the racing websites. These gals may not have the speed to compete with the French horses, but they do have the breeding behind them to be competitive endurance, working western and sport horses and are worth looking at. The Kontiki, Meteor and SX Champion bloodlines which blend wonderfully together are slowly being diluted or dying off. I have some of these lines and just love them. They are super athletic, good minded and have great legs and feet.

Sue

#23 Stephen Shehane

Stephen Shehane

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 13 June 2010 - 04:52 PM

Rev's Super Reno.

He is an absolutely wonderfully well behaved stud right up until it is time to work or mate then he is all business. I spoke with Bev yesterday and hope to get out there to see her in 3 weeks. Maybe I can meet you also. My wife and I will be relocating to just outside of Mesquite in late July or early August. You are more than welcome to call me, 775-385-8233 I would love to talk horses and I assure you that Savannah would love it more. My lady is actually more the horse man than I am.

Stephen

Regards,
Peter Mileo

#24 Stephen Shehane

Stephen Shehane

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 13 June 2010 - 05:01 PM

Good Lord, you and I are the same age if your profile is correct you know 32 for the 27th time. Hey if you want to talk and maybe help me with this horse thing. I have loved horses all my life and wound up being an Engineer that has consulted all over this planet. I would like to retire to the ranch I am trying to purchase, build my lab on site so that I can walk out my back door to the lab and then out the lab side door to my horses. Beverly became a very very good friend to Savannah and I while we were on a project in Fallon. We absolutely love her and would do just about anything for her. I spoke with her yesterday and she actually sounded well. Her son-in-law is a friend of mine and we are trying to get a project going for him.

If you would like stay in touch!

Stephen

Regards,
Peter Mileo

#25 Peter Mileo

Peter Mileo

City Slicker Ranch

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,044 posts

Posted 13 June 2010 - 06:10 PM

Hi Stephen:

I'd love to meet you someday. I never heard of Revs Super Reno. I thought maybe you were going to take Cowboy or Time to Tiki. Who is his sire and dam?

Regards,
Peter Mileo

City Slicker Ranch, Home of Magic Aulrab, 1993 Chestnut Stallion SCID and CA Clear and Constantene, 2006 Pure Polish Grey Arabian Stallion SCID Clear, CA Carrier, LFS Clear and Homozygous for Grey

#26 Rosealba Farm

Rosealba Farm

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,135 posts

Posted 13 June 2010 - 06:19 PM

Good Lord, you and I are the same age if your profile is correct you know 32 for the 27th time. Hey if you want to talk and maybe help me with this horse thing. I have loved horses all my life and wound up being an Engineer that has consulted all over this planet. I would like to retire to the ranch I am trying to purchase, build my lab on site so that I can walk out my back door to the lab and then out the lab side door to my horses. Beverly became a very very good friend to Savannah and I while we were on a project in Fallon. We absolutely love her and would do just about anything for her. I spoke with her yesterday and she actually sounded well. Her son-in-law is a friend of mine and we are trying to get a project going for him.

If you would like stay in touch!

Stephen

I am glad Bev is doing well. she is such a nice lady and very knowlegeable. I talked to her a few years ago when I was looking for info on SX Champion. She knew the horse and liked him, and actually tried to purchase him when the herd was dispersed. He was bred on Kontiki daughters and grand daughters and produced several race champions.

Sue

#27 Stephen Shehane

Stephen Shehane

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 14 June 2010 - 03:11 AM

Peter,

Reno's Sire is: Rev's Super Star out of Fire En Ice

Reno's Mare is: IBN Tootsie out of IBN Kontiki who is out of Kontiki the Great.

He is a wonderfully behaved Stud. I am so very proud of him. My wife, who is the "REAL" Equestrian says she has never seen a stud so well behaved. She is always telling me "a stud is a stud is a stud" and then she watches Reno with me and just shakes her head in disbelief. Beverly tells me every foal he has thrown has had his temperament. Which is doing some research it appears that Kontiki the Great was of the same temperament of course I cannot truly confirm this but it would seem to make sense to me.

I look forward to meeting you and if you get a chance to see Bev before us please give her our hello's and love.

Stephen

Hi Stephen:

I'd love to meet you someday. I never heard of Revs Super Reno. I thought maybe you were going to take Cowboy or Time to Tiki. Who is his sire and dam?

Regards,
Peter Mileo

#28 Stephen Shehane

Stephen Shehane

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 14 June 2010 - 03:23 AM

Sue,

First, what part of Alabama are you from? My Dad's family is from Alabama and my Aunt Miriam was the Governor's Special Assistant for Victim's Rights for years and I think for 3 Governors (the number of Governors is the part I am not certain of) We get down to Alabama maybe once every other year.

Second, Beverly Thomas is probably the kindest lady I have ever met. If you wanted to sit and talk about Horses, John Wayne or Ronald Regan I honestly believe she could keep you with her for days and yet with all of her experience and knowledge she is a very humble person.

It was a highlight of my life just to get to meet her. If you go to her home you will see photos of her and her husband with movie stars whom they worked with so that they road well in their movies. I guess you realize her husband died several years ago. Bev is trying to keep Spear Bar going but I think due to the economy it is tough going. She is a fighter and will make it though.

Let me know what part of Alabama. It would be funny to find out we almost already knew each other.

Stephen

I am glad Bev is doing well. she is such a nice lady and very knowlegeable. I talked to her a few years ago when I was looking for info on SX Champion. She knew the horse and liked him, and actually tried to purchase him when the herd was dispersed. He was bred on Kontiki daughters and grand daughters and produced several race champions.

Sue

#29 Rosealba Farm

Rosealba Farm

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,135 posts

Posted 14 June 2010 - 03:50 AM

Sue,

First, what part of Alabama are you from? My Dad's family is from Alabama and my Aunt Miriam was the Governor's Special Assistant for Victim's Rights for years and I think for 3 Governors (the number of Governors is the part I am not certain of) We get down to Alabama maybe once every other year.

Second, Beverly Thomas is probably the kindest lady I have ever met. If you wanted to sit and talk about Horses, John Wayne or Ronald Regan I honestly believe she could keep you with her for days and yet with all of her experience and knowledge she is a very humble person.

It was a highlight of my life just to get to meet her. If you go to her home you will see photos of her and her husband with movie stars whom they worked with so that they road well in their movies. I guess you realize her husband died several years ago. Bev is trying to keep Spear Bar going but I think due to the economy it is tough going. She is a fighter and will make it though.

Let me know what part of Alabama. It would be funny to find out we almost already knew each other.

Stephen

Actually I am a transplanted Californian. I have been here for 6 years. I am up near Huntsville. I miss the drier air of CA but love the green grass and wildness of Alabama's landscape. There are still so many forests and wild areas that you rarely see out west. When I talked to Bev, she said her husband was not well and I guess she has health issues too. I contacted her because she and her husband were close to the Rogers/Kubela program and continued with it after the farm was dispersed. She gave me a wealth of information and you are right, is a super nice lady. When you breed older bloodlines, talking to old timers is invaluable.

Sue

#30 Stephen Shehane

Stephen Shehane

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 14 June 2010 - 04:42 AM

Sue,

My Dad's family has been in Alabama since the 1700's. Basically central Alabama Clio and Blue Springs Area. My Uncle Edward was the mayor of Clio and it is funny but my Uncle Billy was the Deputy Mayor. What a hoot. Blue Springs would be missed if you blinked your eyes as you drove through but it is still a lovely community with lots of memories that are all good.

You are correct about missing the Dry climate but the beauty of all the green forest is amazing.

Beverly does have some health issues and it is my understanding that Tom (her son-in-law) and her daughter are going to move back there to help take care of her and I guess take to managing Spear Bar. They are good people and I have great confidence in them.

I think Tom will get the Stables back on the map as well as on the net so that people of our demeanor will realize what heritage and help the history and knowledge at Spear Bar can be to those of us that love horses.

Stephen

Actually I am a transplanted Californian. I have been here for 6 years. I am up near Huntsville. I miss the drier air of CA but love the green grass and wildness of Alabama's landscape. There are still so many forests and wild areas that you rarely see out west. When I talked to Bev, she said her husband was not well and I guess she has health issues too. I contacted her because she and her husband were close to the Rogers/Kubela program and continued with it after the farm was dispersed. She gave me a wealth of information and you are right, is a super nice lady. When you breed older bloodlines, talking to old timers is invaluable.

Sue