Photo
- - - - -

Kontiki the Great

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
35 replies to this topic

#11 Cyclone

Cyclone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,506 posts

Posted 12 October 2009 - 02:57 PM

Thanks so much for this, Arlene! I have always been a big Kontiki fan. God knows he crossed wonderfully with mares of two of my other all time heroes, *Sambor and *Orzel. If something from THOSE three lines could not run, you might as well hang it up! I appreciate your sharing of this info very much. I LOVE to learn about these older guys/gals.

Cyclone
Beannacht Arabian Ranch

Pure Polish working western and sport horse prospects

Home of Pure Polish stallion, Vezanka (*Veza X *Suzanka)

www.beannachtarabianranch.net

Bronntanas - Animal Communicator

#12 tiki-bird

tiki-bird

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 962 posts

Posted 13 October 2009 - 06:57 AM

What I noticed was most if not all of the greys looked very much like Kontiki. A real good example of color and phenotype showing through the herd of greys.

Regards,
Peter Mileo

We agreed to find homes for some mares out of a herd with many greys. We knew one of the mares had Kontiki breeding (in addition to Serafix and Sambor 2x). Out of maybe 15 greys, one mare stood out as a different phenotype, and we thought she did resemble Kontiki. Her lip tatto confirmed she was the Kontiki mare in question. Amazing, considering the prepotency of the other stallions in her pedigree.

Preserving the bloodline of *Lotnik, WWII Prize of War

Author of Tennessee's Arabian Horse Racing Heritage

#13 Robin W.

Robin W.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 529 posts

Posted 13 October 2009 - 04:46 PM

I had a Kontiki granddaughter named Kiki-Tee (AHR # 201492) years ago that I rescued from our local peddler type newspaper for $ 200.00 with papers. She was by Tiki Lark out of Bint Tee (Silver Bottle x Terceira). Lovely small mare around 14.1 but she could float like a butterfly. I contacted her breeder and found out it was a sale gone bad they skipped with the mare and didn't pay. Guess they didn't want to feed her also. The breeder really wanted her back and I traded for another filly she had and was so sorry I did as I thought this mare was really cool with a fantastic personality and the breeder just re-sold her after a year or so....

#14 Peter Mileo

Peter Mileo

City Slicker Ranch

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,044 posts

Posted 10 November 2009 - 03:28 PM

Very nice article.

Has there been an documented evidence that Kontiki's heart was larger than normal, as discovered with Secratariat?

Tabatha- R-Kon has been at our farm going on two years. Aside from his obvious athleticism, his personality, demeanor and intelligence are impressive.

When I decided to breed Patriot Games (Patriot Missle x Wikings Dream) the search ended with R-Kon. Result was a beautiful colt killed by lightening at 6 weeks old. Fortunatley, we saved mom, she was badly injured and carrying a 3 week old at the time that survived, probably because she was still "floating". Filly was born in April, we call her R-Gamer.

Have a young mare out of Sam Tiki that has done very well in endurance.

The Kontiki line will continue to positvely impact the breed for generations to come.

BTW- Cia Reis, former Pan Am endurance gold medal winner, has Breezy, for which I am very thankful. Cia believes she will be a "force" in endurance.

Tim:

How is R-Kon doing. He is a very impressive and accomplished horse and sire. Do you stand him to outside mares? How old is he? I have a mare that I leased to a friend for breeding that would probably breed very well with him. If he doesn't ship my other option is Time to Tiki who Bev Thomas stands close by in Fallon. I won't be doing this for another year as the mare is in foal for 2010 and maybe 2011.

Regards,
Peter Mileo

City Slicker Ranch, Home of Magic Aulrab, 1993 Chestnut Stallion SCID and CA Clear and Constantene, 2006 Pure Polish Grey Arabian Stallion SCID Clear, CA Carrier, LFS Clear and Homozygous for Grey

#15 tpm

tpm

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 22 January 2010 - 07:27 PM

He'll be 22 this April. Keeps himself in great shape.
Been here for nearly 4 years, hasn't needed his feet trimmed yet, he keeps them worn.

Quite a few of his get are in endurance, with more to come. Cia Reis, former Pan Am gold medalist, has Sammy and Breezy, she thinks the world of him. Between Cytron Kon (Darolyn Butler) and Prynz Charmin (Michelle Mueller) they have over 6300 endurance miles.

Hope our young colt can carry on someday. His mom is Patriot Games, Patriot Missle x Wikings Dream. Her sole grandsire is Wiking. She may be carrying more Wiking genes than any horse alive.

Have two fillys he sired, both will be three this year. They'll start on the track. Jennifer attributes the old man's track longetivity to waiting to start him till age 4. Makes a lot of sense to me.
Tim Miller

#16 GoBlueGirl

GoBlueGirl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 917 posts

Posted 23 January 2010 - 04:03 AM

R Gamer is going to be big. She'll go out to Michigan next year to run the track with Nicole Holst, who's kinda familiar with his youngsters LOL. She survived the lightning hit only because she was so little, not yet permanently attached, so said the vets.

I live in Michigan and would love to be exposed to Arabian racing. When & where will she run?
Nice write up Arlene (of course), always a fan!
Ann

#17 Arlene Magid

Arlene Magid

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,703 posts

Posted 23 January 2010 - 02:42 PM

I live in Michigan and would love to be exposed to Arabian racing. When & where will she run?
Nice write up Arlene (of course), always a fan!
Ann

Thanks Ann... hope one day I can do a writeup on one of your nice horses, too.
<p class="bbc_center"><br><br>
</p>

#18 tpm

tpm

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 09 March 2010 - 08:18 AM

Mt. Pleasant Meadows, upper penisula. All R-Kon and all his get that raced started with Nicole Holst as Trainer.

If I take her out at all this year, be later in the season. She'll be three 4/10. Jennifer Swart started R-Kon at age 4, attributes waiting till that age for his 5 year career longevity and retiring sound. Probably do the same with Gamer.

Have a mare, Wirtual Dream (Sam Tiki x Wikings Dream) we're competing in endurance this season, coming back from lyme disease treatment. Great record until the lyme hit. After 2nd treatment, she seems to be back to her old self. She'll be entered in the U.S. Chamionshop 100 mile ride if I'm right.
Tim Miller

#19 Stephen Shehane

Stephen Shehane

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 12 June 2010 - 08:56 AM

Can you please help me. I have a direct 3rd generation decedent of Kontiki the Great out of IBN Kontiki. I am simply interested in this line. My horse "Reno" is half Arabian and half Quarter Horse. He is magnificent, well mannered and so very smart. Can you help me with his blood line history? Thank you, Stephen Shehane

Kontiki the Great

By Arlene Magid

Kontiki was bred by Dr Lloyd or Doris Rosenvold and was owned during his racing career by Christopher or Valeene Hampton-Wilcox, and subsequently by Mr and Mrs Stanley Kubela, for whom he sired the bulk of his registered foals. He was born in 1962 and tragically died at age 10 in 1972 of colic. His remarkable race record is 3/9 (8-1-0)+6. He was also named 1972 Scottsdale Reserve Champion Stallion shortly before his death, proving that beauty and racing talent are not mutually exclusive!

Kontiki was a racing legend and the most significant sire in the foundation racing pedigrees in America. He established an unmatched dynasty in foundation American racing bloodlines. Beaten only once (by the Polish import *Orzel++), Kontiki was such an exceptional racehorse that he was honored by the Thoroughbred Jockey Club as the 59th entry in the prestigious ist of ď100 All Time Greatest Racehorse of the World-Regardless of Breed"Ē along with Man O-War, Native Dancer, Kelso, Secretariat and John Henry. He was also named U.S. National Champion Racehorse and a member of the Arabian Horse Trust Hall of Fame.

Kontikiís sire, 1967 U.S. Top Ten Western Pleasure winner Camelot++, also sired Hamlet, whose race record is 2/15(4-2-4). Camelot was by National winner sire Seneyn (who was linebred to the Skowronek son *Raseyn) and out of Shamara, a daughter of National Champion sire Ankar and a maternal sister to National winner producers Buna and Panaya. Kontikiís dam Almiki also produced Waikiki,and Bar Miki, both producers of race and show winners. Waikikiís daughter Ki Hattie+/ is a multi-National Champion in trail and dressage. Bar Mikiís daughter Smooth As Silk is a National winner in cutting and has produced a National Champion in cutting. Almiki was by Abu Farwa, sire of 3 National winners in performance and 33 producers of National winners. Thus Kontikiís athleticism was no accident-it was bred into him for many generations.

Kontiki sired just 23 registered purebred get, all but two of them foaled in 1972 and 1973. Sixteen of these were daughters. Five were race winners. Fourteen have produced race winners-a remarkable percentage of 87% of his daughters produced race winners. Ten of his daughters produced stakes winners.

Daughter Tikis Lilly Ku is a race winner and the dam of stakes winner Soaring Tiki Tu and race winners Soaring Sokol and R Angel Jackie.

Daughter Molly-O-Tikie produced 4 race winners Magic Layce, Tiking Away, and Alive O Alive O, and Sheik to Sheik.

Daughter Tikis Bint Samia 2/10(4-4-0) is the dam of 5 race winners including Tiki Chanda, Tiki Fox Fire, Tikis Samsamia Ku, Kontiki Star (double Kontiki), Bint Czubuthan Ku and stakes winner FMR Tikis Shadow.

Daughter Kyla Tiki (a member of the Arabian Racing Hall of Fame) produced Sam Tiki+ 21(10-4-3)6 holder of 5 track records, 1988 Darley 3 Year Old Colt of the Year and a sire of stakes winners. She is also the dam of Samcherie, track record holder, multiple stakes winner including 1989 Gladys Brown Edwards Distaff and ARC Firecracker,and Darley award winner., international stakes winner Wrappin Up, stakes winner Eld Tiki Bee, race winners Sams Fireball and Eld Samurai and Region 18 Top Five Western Pleasure AOTR Vanitys Tearose.

Kyla Tikiís daughter Vana Tiki produced multiple stakes winner and 1990 Darley 3 Yr Old Colt of the Year Oh By Gosh. (see Molly-R below).

Daughter Tikis Starlit 2/5(1-1-1) produced 6 race winners: Heza Champ, Kruger Kon, Tikis Star Streak, Cheyenee, Tikis Star Struck, Tikis Super Star.

Daughter Molly-R produced By Golly+/ 34(15-9-1)3-4 1984IAHA Racehorse of the Year, held track records on dirt and turf and was voted into Arabian Horse Trust Hall of Fame. By Golly+/ is the sire of Oh By Gosh(who is double Kontiki), a stakes winner in US including Armand Hammer Classic, also named 1992 Darley Older Horse of the Year and arace winner in the UK and UAE. By Golly also produced the double Kontiki stakes winner Top Flyte, 1992 Darley 4 Year Old Colt of the Year. Molly-R is also the dam of race winner Bint Molly R.

Daughter Jikis Ellice 4/14(5-3-3) is the dam of Elite Star Ku, a stakes winner in both the US and the UK (double Kontiki), and of stakes winners Tikis Diablo and Tiki Tork Ku( both double Kontiki), of stakes winner Tikis Samantha, and of El Tiki 6/66 (13-12-11)a track record holder at 1 1/6 miles.

Daughter Tiki Anna Ku produced race winners Excalibur Ku, Tikis Bandit, Sambuca Tiki Ku and stakes winner Annatiki.

Daughter Tikis Honey Du produced multi-western pleasure champion Honey Sukl Rose and nine times stakes winner, twice Darley Champion and IAHA Race Mare of the Year Shawna Dew+ (herself dam of 4 race winners, 1 a stakes winner).

Daughter Tikis Chaparella is the dam of regional hunt pleasure winner Juan Ella and 7 successful racehorses: race winners Racey Affair, FC Cindarella, and Tiki Chaps Ku, race winners Tiki Laser Ku and Tiki Belle Starr and multi-stakes winner Tiki Bandalera (all double Kontiki), and stakes winner Sayhi Chap.

Daughter Mona Tiki produced race winners Topaz Ku and Ibn Majed and stakes winner SX Kontiki,

Daughter Bint Karita Ku, a race winner herself, produced multi-regional champion in halter, country pleasure and native costume Ski Quest++ , race winners LW Majestic and Shawntilly Lace, stakes winner Kremlin Ku, and multi-stakes winner Juans Karita Ku.

Daughter EW Merlinda produced National Champion sire J B Merlin (sire of Canadian National Champion Hunt Pleasure AOTR 40/Over Merlins Zarda SWA+/) and race winner Satin Sheiks.

Daughter Carolita Ku produced race winner Corenea Ku and multi-race winner and stakes placed Carmela Ku

Kontiki left only 4 breeding sons all of whom have played a significant part in American Arabian racehorse breeding.

Son Ibn Kontiki 1/ 2(1-0-0) was named to the Leading Race Sire List in 1982, 1983 and 1984. He sired Arabian Racing Hall of Fame Flaming Tron Ku 4/24(17-1-3), twice Darley Older Horse of the Year and holder of 4 track records at Delaware Park, Flaming Rod 1979 3 Year Old Colt of the Year 4/29(9-11-4) and Flaming Streak+/ (multiple track record holder and holder of 2 world records 5/34(12-7-7)4 stakes, also a sire of stakes winners.

Son Tiki Sahiber Ku 3/13 (10-1-1), was the only horse to be named National Champion Race Horse three times. He was also a successful show horse, and was a 1982 U.S. Top Ten Western Pleasure winner. He sired multiple race and stakes winners including Tikis Flaming Jet+/ 6/62(14-16-9)2, who held the record for 1 Ĺ miles, and stakes winner Tripolle 2/20(5-5-6), who won the AJC Distaff and placed in the IAHA Oaks.

Son Tiki Tessar+ 4/29(9-8-6), the 1979 National Champion Racehorse, world record holder at 5 furlongs and 1 1/16 miles. He was named to the Leading Race Sire List of 1983 and 1984. He was best known for his daughter Flying Tessie+ 3/24 (8-3-3) $23,112, who carried more weight at a longer distance than any other stakes winner when she won the IAHA Oaks in 1985. She was also named 1985 Race Mare of the Year.

Son Tiki Lark sired Eldans Tiki Pi 3/15(2-1-1) stakes placed and sire of stakes winner The Fast Lane. Tiki Lark also sired R-Kon 5/38(11-10-7)1-5, who set two track records, one for 6 Ĺ furlongs, the other for a mile.

In spite of his early death, Kontikiís influence on Arabian racing was profound and has stood the test of time. Bravo to Kontiki, the American-bred hero!

#20 Stephen Shehane

Stephen Shehane

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 12 June 2010 - 09:16 AM

Peter,

I have a 3rd generation Stud out of Kontiki the Great. I actually got him from Bev. I will be moving him to Mesquite in July. He is a marvelous horse, exceptionally intelligent and very very well mannered for a stud. Have you heard from Bev lately? I speak with her Son-in-law Tom Jones several times a week and we are all concerned for Bev. She is a wonderful Equestrian as was her husband.

Stephen Shehane

Tim:

How is R-Kon doing. He is a very impressive and accomplished horse and sire. Do you stand him to outside mares? How old is he? I have a mare that I leased to a friend for breeding that would probably breed very well with him. If he doesn't ship my other option is Time to Tiki who Bev Thomas stands close by in Fallon. I won't be doing this for another year as the mare is in foal for 2010 and maybe 2011.

Regards,
Peter Mileo