Photo
- - - - -

Kontiki the Great

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
35 replies to this topic

#1 WebMaster

WebMaster

ABN CEO

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,664 posts

Posted 30 November 2007 - 03:49 PM

Kontiki the Great

By Arlene Magid

Kontiki was bred by Dr Lloyd or Doris Rosenvold and was owned during his racing career by Christopher or Valeene Hampton-Wilcox, and subsequently by Mr and Mrs Stanley Kubela, for whom he sired the bulk of his registered foals. He was born in 1962 and tragically died at age 10 in 1972 of colic. His remarkable race record is 3/9 (8-1-0)+6. He was also named 1972 Scottsdale Reserve Champion Stallion shortly before his death, proving that beauty and racing talent are not mutually exclusive!

Kontiki was a racing legend and the most significant sire in the foundation racing pedigrees in America. He established an unmatched dynasty in foundation American racing bloodlines. Beaten only once (by the Polish import *Orzel++), Kontiki was such an exceptional racehorse that he was honored by the Thoroughbred Jockey Club as the 59th entry in the prestigious ist of ď100 All Time Greatest Racehorse of the World-Regardless of Breed"Ē along with Man O-War, Native Dancer, Kelso, Secretariat and John Henry. He was also named U.S. National Champion Racehorse and a member of the Arabian Horse Trust Hall of Fame.

Kontikiís sire, 1967 U.S. Top Ten Western Pleasure winner Camelot++, also sired Hamlet, whose race record is 2/15(4-2-4). Camelot was by National winner sire Seneyn (who was linebred to the Skowronek son *Raseyn) and out of Shamara, a daughter of National Champion sire Ankar and a maternal sister to National winner producers Buna and Panaya. Kontikiís dam Almiki also produced Waikiki,and Bar Miki, both producers of race and show winners. Waikikiís daughter Ki Hattie+/ is a multi-National Champion in trail and dressage. Bar Mikiís daughter Smooth As Silk is a National winner in cutting and has produced a National Champion in cutting. Almiki was by Abu Farwa, sire of 3 National winners in performance and 33 producers of National winners. Thus Kontikiís athleticism was no accident-it was bred into him for many generations.

Kontiki sired just 23 registered purebred get, all but two of them foaled in 1972 and 1973. Sixteen of these were daughters. Five were race winners. Fourteen have produced race winners-a remarkable percentage of 87% of his daughters produced race winners. Ten of his daughters produced stakes winners.

Daughter Tikis Lilly Ku is a race winner and the dam of stakes winner Soaring Tiki Tu and race winners Soaring Sokol and R Angel Jackie.

Daughter Molly-O-Tikie produced 4 race winners Magic Layce, Tiking Away, and Alive O Alive O, and Sheik to Sheik.

Daughter Tikis Bint Samia 2/10(4-4-0) is the dam of 5 race winners including Tiki Chanda, Tiki Fox Fire, Tikis Samsamia Ku, Kontiki Star (double Kontiki), Bint Czubuthan Ku and stakes winner FMR Tikis Shadow.

Daughter Kyla Tiki (a member of the Arabian Racing Hall of Fame) produced Sam Tiki+ 21(10-4-3)6 holder of 5 track records, 1988 Darley 3 Year Old Colt of the Year and a sire of stakes winners. She is also the dam of Samcherie, track record holder, multiple stakes winner including 1989 Gladys Brown Edwards Distaff and ARC Firecracker,and Darley award winner., international stakes winner Wrappin Up, stakes winner Eld Tiki Bee, race winners Sams Fireball and Eld Samurai and Region 18 Top Five Western Pleasure AOTR Vanitys Tearose.

Kyla Tikiís daughter Vana Tiki produced multiple stakes winner and 1990 Darley 3 Yr Old Colt of the Year Oh By Gosh. (see Molly-R below).

Daughter Tikis Starlit 2/5(1-1-1) produced 6 race winners: Heza Champ, Kruger Kon, Tikis Star Streak, Cheyenee, Tikis Star Struck, Tikis Super Star.

Daughter Molly-R produced By Golly+/ 34(15-9-1)3-4 1984IAHA Racehorse of the Year, held track records on dirt and turf and was voted into Arabian Horse Trust Hall of Fame. By Golly+/ is the sire of Oh By Gosh(who is double Kontiki), a stakes winner in US including Armand Hammer Classic, also named 1992 Darley Older Horse of the Year and arace winner in the UK and UAE. By Golly also produced the double Kontiki stakes winner Top Flyte, 1992 Darley 4 Year Old Colt of the Year. Molly-R is also the dam of race winner Bint Molly R.

Daughter Jikis Ellice 4/14(5-3-3) is the dam of Elite Star Ku, a stakes winner in both the US and the UK (double Kontiki), and of stakes winners Tikis Diablo and Tiki Tork Ku( both double Kontiki), of stakes winner Tikis Samantha, and of El Tiki 6/66 (13-12-11)a track record holder at 1 1/6 miles.

Daughter Tiki Anna Ku produced race winners Excalibur Ku, Tikis Bandit, Sambuca Tiki Ku and stakes winner Annatiki.

Daughter Tikis Honey Du produced multi-western pleasure champion Honey Sukl Rose and nine times stakes winner, twice Darley Champion and IAHA Race Mare of the Year Shawna Dew+ (herself dam of 4 race winners, 1 a stakes winner).

Daughter Tikis Chaparella is the dam of regional hunt pleasure winner Juan Ella and 7 successful racehorses: race winners Racey Affair, FC Cindarella, and Tiki Chaps Ku, race winners Tiki Laser Ku and Tiki Belle Starr and multi-stakes winner Tiki Bandalera (all double Kontiki), and stakes winner Sayhi Chap.

Daughter Mona Tiki produced race winners Topaz Ku and Ibn Majed and stakes winner SX Kontiki,

Daughter Bint Karita Ku, a race winner herself, produced multi-regional champion in halter, country pleasure and native costume Ski Quest++ , race winners LW Majestic and Shawntilly Lace, stakes winner Kremlin Ku, and multi-stakes winner Juans Karita Ku.

Daughter EW Merlinda produced National Champion sire J B Merlin (sire of Canadian National Champion Hunt Pleasure AOTR 40/Over Merlins Zarda SWA+/) and race winner Satin Sheiks.

Daughter Carolita Ku produced race winner Corenea Ku and multi-race winner and stakes placed Carmela Ku

Kontiki left only 4 breeding sons all of whom have played a significant part in American Arabian racehorse breeding.

Son Ibn Kontiki 1/ 2(1-0-0) was named to the Leading Race Sire List in 1982, 1983 and 1984. He sired Arabian Racing Hall of Fame Flaming Tron Ku 4/24(17-1-3), twice Darley Older Horse of the Year and holder of 4 track records at Delaware Park, Flaming Rod 1979 3 Year Old Colt of the Year 4/29(9-11-4) and Flaming Streak+/ (multiple track record holder and holder of 2 world records 5/34(12-7-7)4 stakes, also a sire of stakes winners.

Son Tiki Sahiber Ku 3/13 (10-1-1), was the only horse to be named National Champion Race Horse three times. He was also a successful show horse, and was a 1982 U.S. Top Ten Western Pleasure winner. He sired multiple race and stakes winners including Tikis Flaming Jet+/ 6/62(14-16-9)2, who held the record for 1 Ĺ miles, and stakes winner Tripolle 2/20(5-5-6), who won the AJC Distaff and placed in the IAHA Oaks.

Son Tiki Tessar+ 4/29(9-8-6), the 1979 National Champion Racehorse, world record holder at 5 furlongs and 1 1/16 miles. He was named to the Leading Race Sire List of 1983 and 1984. He was best known for his daughter Flying Tessie+ 3/24 (8-3-3) $23,112, who carried more weight at a longer distance than any other stakes winner when she won the IAHA Oaks in 1985. She was also named 1985 Race Mare of the Year.

Son Tiki Lark sired Eldans Tiki Pi 3/15(2-1-1) stakes placed and sire of stakes winner The Fast Lane. Tiki Lark also sired R-Kon 5/38(11-10-7)1-5, who set two track records, one for 6 Ĺ furlongs, the other for a mile.

In spite of his early death, Kontikiís influence on Arabian racing was profound and has stood the test of time. Bravo to Kontiki, the American-bred hero!

#2 willowspring

willowspring

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 553 posts

Posted 02 December 2007 - 06:49 AM

Thank you for the article Arlene. Very informative and as always educational.

Kindly,

Julie
Willowspring Arabians
Stallions:
Cypango (Out of Cyte x Echo Empress by Echo Magnifficoo)
Gideon {AKA Golden Ecstasy} (Gold N Ali x DRA Burgundy Rose by Burgundy Sun)

Producing...Athleticism, Elegance and Grace
Please e-mail for current sales list.

#3 Peter Mileo

Peter Mileo

City Slicker Ranch

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,044 posts

Posted 02 December 2007 - 08:12 AM

Living in N. Nevada gave me the opportunity to see many Kontiki descendents. When the Kubela/Rodgers herd was dispersed many of the horses including Ibn Kontiki a chestnut and Tiki Tessar a grey ended up with the trainer Darrel Thomas and his wife Bev in Fallon, Nevada. By the way, Beb told me that Tiki Tessar was considered Kontiki's most look alike son by the people who knew him best. Even some of the grooms at the tracks would comment about that upon seeing him. What I noticed was most if not all of the greys looked very much like Kontiki. Similar shape of head, wedged and breedy but not dishy, same neck set, shoulder, wither and overall look. The other feature that came over and over in the herd was good feet and legs that were well set down. Very square, balanced horses. Now good conformation was prevalent throughout the herd as the Thomas's were good horseman and new how to continue breeding this herd but the Kontiki look was uncanny in the greys even in those horses with one cross a couple of generations back. A real good example of color and phenotype showing through the herd of greys. We boutght a grey Sam Counts daughter out of a Tiki Tessar daughter from Darrel and Bev and she looks far more Kontiki than her sire line. Being as prepotent as he was with his color and type, we shouldn't be surprised that he would also pass along his athleticism to most of his get including the non-greys who may not have looked like him as much but certainly had the ability to run.

Just an observation I thought I would share.

Regards,
Peter Mileo

City Slicker Ranch, Home of Magic Aulrab, 1993 Chestnut Stallion SCID and CA Clear and Constantene, 2006 Pure Polish Grey Arabian Stallion SCID Clear, CA Carrier, LFS Clear and Homozygous for Grey

#4 Arlene Magid

Arlene Magid

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,703 posts

Posted 02 December 2007 - 10:12 AM

Thanks for your insight Peter-it's always wonderful to have first hand observations to add to the research to make a fuller picture.

I think you're right about the grey color going with the Kontiki traits-his granddaughter Flying Tessie would be a good example of that. Color often links to the traits one most admires in the stallion or mare. Other examples of the best get following the coloring of their sires would be bay Khemosabi get, chestnut *Serafix get, etc. *Bask was one of the few stallions who seemed to produce his best traits regardless of color of the offspring and he did sire a lot of greys and chestnuts.

Arlene Magid
<p class="bbc_center"><br><br>
</p>

#5 Cyn

Cyn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 872 posts

Posted 02 December 2007 - 10:49 PM

Fantastic article Arlene!! Thank you!
Cyn

#6 BewitchedArabians

BewitchedArabians

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 02 December 2007 - 11:39 PM

Kontiki the Great

By Arlene Magid
Daughter Tikis Chaparella is the dam of regional hunt pleasure winner Juan Ella and 7 successful racehorses: race winners Racey Affair, FC Cindarella, and Tiki Chaps Ku, race winners Tiki Laser Ku and Tiki Belle Starr and multi-stakes winner Tiki Bandalera (all double Kontiki), and stakes winner Sayhi Chap.

Son Tiki Lark sired Eldans Tiki Pi 3/15(2-1-1) stakes placed and sire of stakes winner The Fast Lane. Tiki Lark also sired R-Kon 5/38(11-10-7)1-5, who set two track records, one for 6 Ĺ furlongs, the other for a mile.

In spite of his early death, Kontikiís influence on Arabian racing was profound and has stood the test of time. Bravo to Kontiki, the American-bred hero!

I was honored to know, and love, Juan Ella---my cousin bought her for his daughter at the same time I bought my first Arabian mare. She was such a lovely and sweet mare. She DID have a race record of 2/13 (11-5-2). With my cousin's daughter, she had a quite successful show career, earning many Ch. & Res.Ch's at the Class "A" Level, in both Hunter Pleasure and Show Hack, and her Regional win was a Reg. 15 Top 5 Hunter Pleasure-JTR-17 & under. She is sadly missed... :bigemo_harabe_net-104:

Again, I am fortunate to have known R-Kon+/ since around 1990 (yes, he did earn his "+/"!). He is linebred to Kontiki, being sired by Tiki Lark, and out of the Tiki Tessar+ daughter Tiki Tessara. Highlights of R-Kon+/'s career are his 1995 Nora Wilson Memorial Stake win, and being the 1995 Texas Champion Older Horse. His track records were: 6-1/2 Furlong 1:28.7 Sam Houston Race park 7/8/94; and 1 Mile 1:48.3 Bandera Downs 5/6/95 (which was the fastest mile NATIONWIDE in 1995!).

R-Kon+/ has also been a successful sire, having winners both on the Track and in Endurance. I have also been fortunate to have met many of his get over the years. Some of his get of particular note are:

Cometika 4/26(7-8-6)4-6 was 1996 TX Race Horse of the Year, and a Darley Nominee; and 1998 TX CH. Older Mare.
(DJB) Cytron Kon JMF 3/18 (1-2-4-6) went on from the track to become a successful Endurance horse, nearing 2400 AERC miles.
Pryncz Charmin 3/13 (3-1-4-4)0-1 also went on from the track to a successful Endurance career with 2870 AERC miles, thus far.
Kontiko (sorry, I don't have his full race record) was 2002 MI. Res. CH. 3 yr Old, 2003 MI. Race Horse of the Year, 2003 4 yr old Colt CH.
Whatabreeze (sorry again, don't have her full race record) was 2003 MI. Filly CH. 4 YR OLD. She just this year embarked upon her new occupation in Endurance and has 100 AERC miles (as of 10/07).
Several other wonderful get out there, and more in the oven, up & coming as well, both on the track and in Endurance...

here's some pics of R-Kon+/ in his younger days---he'll be 20 next year, and is still "TIKI-ing" strong and is standing in PA. Forgive me for "butting in" here, but I can't help but tout the ol' man where/whenever I see a chance... :rolleyes:
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Thanks Arlene! And, BRAVO KONTIKI, indeed!
Posted Image
He is the REAL American (bred) Hero! ( ^_^ <---as I have the old GI Joe cartoon theme song in my head as I type that, lol... :bigemo_harabe_net-04: "...the real American Hero, GI Joe is there...") ^_^

#7 Arlene Magid

Arlene Magid

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,703 posts

Posted 03 December 2007 - 01:51 AM

Tabatha, thanks SO MUCH for your contribution. I did some research on R-Kon+/ ages ago for Jennifer Swart when she first had him at stud. Very sorry I left off the "+/"-will go back and add that. I don't always mention specifics of track records etc even if I know where they were because sometimes that bogs an article down too much with information and makes it harder to read, so it's great that you gave us the supplemental information in your post.

LOVED the photos of him. Boy, you can sure see whose grandson he is-as Peter Mileo pointed out, the grey Kontiki gene is definitely dominant and he so resembles his grandsire-type and athletic ability that can't be beat.

Arlene Magid
<p class="bbc_center"><br><br>
</p>

#8 tpm

tpm

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 17 December 2007 - 08:08 AM

Very nice article.

Has there been an documented evidence that Kontiki's heart was larger than normal, as discovered with Secratariat?

Tabatha- R-Kon has been at our farm going on two years. Aside from his obvious athleticism, his personality, demeanor and intelligence are impressive.

When I decided to breed Patriot Games (Patriot Missle x Wikings Dream) the search ended with R-Kon. Result was a beautiful colt killed by lightening at 6 weeks old. Fortunatley, we saved mom, she was badly injured and carrying a 3 week old at the time that survived, probably because she was still "floating". Filly was born in April, we call her R-Gamer.

Have a young mare out of Sam Tiki that has done very well in endurance.

The Kontiki line will continue to positvely impact the breed for generations to come.

BTW- Cia Reis, former Pan Am endurance gold medal winner, has Breezy, for which I am very thankful. Cia believes she will be a "force" in endurance.
Tim Miller

#9 BewitchedArabians

BewitchedArabians

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 18 December 2007 - 09:00 PM

Hey Tim---good to see you here/glad you found this post! Jennifer keeps me updated w/ forwarding pics of the babies. I was so sorry to hear about losing that colt to the lightening last year---my Lord, was he ever a FANCY thing from the pics Jennifer fwd'd to me...such a terrible loss! So happy for you that you didn't lose "Mom" (I'm in love with her, by the way, lol!), and that she gave you another great baby! I hated to see Jennifer "retire & move to town", but am happy that R-Kon+/ is with you and for the wonderful opportunity he has with you and on your wonderful mares! :rolleyes:
I need to go see Mariann and see how Ikon and his little sister Tessa are doing; haven't seen them in way to long, but they were doing good last I heard...

Arlene- Thanks again for this article, and for 'appreciating' my "butting in" KONtribution, lol! Probably around the same time you were writing up R-Kon's research for Jennifer, you had also done a 1-page one for me on my first mare Kaletta (thank you AGAIN for that!). It is wonderful of you to share with all of us everything that you do here on ABN, and I know I speak for everyone when I say that it is greatly appreciated!

#10 tpm

tpm

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 12 October 2009 - 10:13 AM

Time flys, my 2 fillies out of R-Kon are 2+.

The old man is in great shape.

R Gamer is going to be big. She'll go out to Michigan next year to run the track with Nicole Holst, who's kinda familiar with his youngsters LOL. She survived the lightning hit only because she was so little, not yet permanently attached, so said the vets.

Have high hopes for her, Patriot Games sole grandsire was Wiking, I believe she's carrying more Wiking genes than any alive. Didn't breed her last year, wanted her to get healthy, she's a lot better now. I want another colt out of this cross.

Her younger half sister, Wirtual Dream, did great in endurance until contracting lyme.

Hope all is well with you.
Tim Miller