#1 greygelding

greygelding

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,882 posts
  • Interests:Spoiling My horse and My wife, Camping, Computers, Ham Radio

Posted 30 July 2020 - 06:19 PM

Last night after dinner as I was working on the computer it suddenly occurred to me that I haven't sat in the saddle for a really long time.  My mind drifted back to my Mayo years when it didn't matter if it was raining or how tired I was I went riding.  I'm now working too much, too tired, or too lazy - take your pick. NO!  I shut the laptop lid, just changed only my shoes, and I headed out the door.  SoVayn was the horse of choice.  Well trained, mature (like me LOL), and quiet under saddle.  Just a short jaunt around the ranch while Pam took video and the horses and the dog watched, I had a great time.  As I rode the urge to ride the herd returned and now I have plans for the summer.  I woke up a but older yesterday morning but now I feel young again.

https://www.youtube....eature=youtu.be

Mike

• tuffyk, BFF, karens and 1 other like this

http://greygelding.net/
He knows when you're happy, He knows when you're comfortable,
He knows when you're confident, And he always knows when you have carrots.
~Author Unknown

#2 msjwebb

msjwebb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,251 posts

Posted 30 July 2020 - 07:03 PM

Last night after dinner as I was working on the computer it suddenly occurred to me that I haven't sat in the saddle for a really long time. My mind drifted back to my Mayo years when it didn't matter if it was raining or how tired I was I went riding. I'm now working too much, too tired, or too lazy - take your pick. NO! I shut the laptop lid, just changed only my shoes, and I headed out the door. SoVayn was the horse of choice. Well trained, mature (like me LOL), and quiet under saddle. Just a short jaunt around the ranch while Pam took video and the horses and the dog watched, I had a great time. As I rode the urge to ride the herd returned and now I have plans for the summer. I woke up a but older yesterday morning but now I feel young again.

https://www.youtube....eature=youtu.be

Mike

He is beautiful! Good job getting back in the saddle! It has been misrible hot here. 110 heat index and humid. Hopefully it cools down this weekend to at least jump on bareback and goof off. The outside of a horse is the best medicine for the inside of a man (or woman in my case).

How do you mentally deal with the changes in grass! It is so pretty green in the spring I was jealous of how green it was! I have worked very hard to get grass year round at my farm. I think I would cry.

#3 JRdesire

JRdesire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,728 posts
  • Interests:PB Western Pleasure<br />Just about anything horse related!!!

Posted 30 July 2020 - 07:08 PM

He is beautiful! Good job getting back in the saddle! It has been misrible hot here. 110 heat index and humid. Hopefully it cools down this weekend to at least jump on bareback and goof off. The outside of a horse is the best medicine for the inside of a man (or woman in my case).

How do you mentally deal with the changes in grass! It is so pretty green in the spring I was jealous of how green it was! I have worked very hard to get grass year round at my farm. I think I would cry.

I'm with you msjwebb.  I don't have a ton of land, and so I make use of dry lots as needed.  Fortunately, the past couple of years, we have had so much rain that it has helped keep everything green.  I won't let them on the pastures when it gets super wet so they don't tear up the ground and grass.

I've learned that no amount of money can substitute for class.

#4 greygelding

greygelding

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,882 posts

Posted 30 July 2020 - 07:35 PM

It's like two different places - green or brown.  Each has it's advantages.  Green is beautiful and I cut their rations, saving a bit of money, and keeping them from becoming barrels with legs.  They still get some Equine Senior, a partial hay and grain as I try to maintain senior nutrition.  As things start to brown I feed full at night and half ration of hay in the morning.  I have 5 pastures or lots if you prefer, opening each as they eat it down to nothing.  This is their main job.  Bare ground won't burn and as fire season progresses I depend on them to give the ranch a fighting chance to survive,  They are almost completed with the BE pasture, named after Begonia who is resting there,  Another week or two and they'll be back on full feedings and it's my turn to cut up fallen tree limbs and move them to the outskirts.   Net year I'm hoping to put in a small pasture area, seeded and irrigated, and see how it goes.  For a group of horses mostly used to smaller corrals they seem very happy with their space here.  Today Pam said they were fired up racing from one pasture to another.

Mike

• tuffyk and corasmom like this

~Author Unknown

#5 JRdesire

JRdesire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,728 posts
  • Interests:PB Western Pleasure<br />Just about anything horse related!!!

Posted 30 July 2020 - 07:58 PM

It's like two different places - green or brown.  Each has it's advantages.  Green is beautiful and I cut their rations, saving a bit of money, and keeping them from becoming barrels with legs.  They still get some Equine Senior, a partial hay and grain as I try to maintain senior nutrition.  As things start to brown I feed full at night and half ration of hay in the morning.  I have 5 pastures or lots if you prefer, opening each as they eat it down to nothing.  This is their main job.  Bare ground won't burn and as fire season progresses I depend on them to give the ranch a fighting chance to survive,  They are almost completed with the BE pasture, named after Begonia who is resting there,  Another week or two and they'll be back on full feedings and it's my turn to cut up fallen tree limbs and move them to the outskirts.   Net year I'm hoping to put in a small pasture area, seeded and irrigated, and see how it goes.  For a group of horses mostly used to smaller corrals they seem very happy with their space here.  Today Pam said they were fired up racing from one pasture to another.

Mike

I forgot all about the fire danger.  Yeah, I guess you are probably used to that.  That would be nerve wrecking for me.

Your carrot crew is very happy Mike.   :D

I've learned that no amount of money can substitute for class.

#6 msjwebb

msjwebb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,251 posts

Posted 31 July 2020 - 03:00 AM

It's like two different places - green or brown. Each has it's advantages. Green is beautiful and I cut their rations, saving a bit of money, and keeping them from becoming barrels with legs. They still get some Equine Senior, a partial hay and grain as I try to maintain senior nutrition. As things start to brown I feed full at night and half ration of hay in the morning. I have 5 pastures or lots if you prefer, opening each as they eat it down to nothing. This is their main job. Bare ground won't burn and as fire season progresses I depend on them to give the ranch a fighting chance to survive, They are almost completed with the BE pasture, named after Begonia who is resting there, Another week or two and they'll be back on full feedings and it's my turn to cut up fallen tree limbs and move them to the outskirts. Net year I'm hoping to put in a small pasture area, seeded and irrigated, and see how it goes. For a group of horses mostly used to smaller corrals they seem very happy with their space here. Today Pam said they were fired up racing from one pasture to another.

Mike

I also didn't think of the fire issues. Sorry, I just didn't realize how drastic your grass seasons are. I did not mean you did anything wrong.

#7 greygelding

greygelding

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,882 posts

Posted 31 July 2020 - 05:18 AM

I also didn't think of the fire issues. Sorry, I just didn't realize how drastic your grass seasons are. I did not mean you did anything wrong.

No, I didn’t take it that way at all. You’re one of my favorite ABN people and I look forward to your posts. I was just clarifying the reality of living at over 100 degrees with no rain during the summer. Generally our humidity is low so my pasture grass will be a drought resistant seed. I on the other hand envy those with green grass most of the year. As for the fires, they don’t come often but one should be prepared. It’s a daily concern but it is what it is.

Mike
  • karens and msjwebb like this

~Author Unknown

#8 karens

karens

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
  • Interests:Arabian horses, dogs, especially Border collies, herbal medicine.

Posted 01 August 2020 - 08:19 PM

No, I didn’t take it that way at all. You’re one of my favorite ABN people and I look forward to your posts. I was just clarifying the reality of living at over 100 degrees with no rain during the summer. Generally our humidity is low so my pasture grass will be a drought resistant seed. I on the other hand envy those with green grass most of the year. As for the fires, they don’t come often but one should be prepared. It’s a daily concern but it is what it is.

Mike

Mike, I love the video! It revives me, too, to see you in the saddle again. And I am fascinated by the discussion of grass, as it clearly relates to the climate conditions of a region. Here on the East coast, we are wet and humid, as well as hot. We expect green grass much of the year, while in hot, dry California, you have a totally different story. I was remembering seeing that type land in hot summer before. I also am intrigued with how the horses figure into your land management. Sounds like you and Pam have a lot thought out about this. Keep posting videos as you ride more!

• greygelding likes this

#9 msjwebb

msjwebb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,251 posts

Posted 02 August 2020 - 03:48 AM

Mike

We were having some of your weather the last 2 weeks. 97+ with a heat index of 111 and no rain. I have a few spots that burnt off. We have gotten a good amount of rain the last 2 nights and the grass is very happy. Lol we have a hurricane heading our way. It will be here Monday night. I am hoping with our ground being so dry we won't loose many trees to the storm. But I know how to use a chainsaw. Lol hubby is in FL right now wishing he was here to help. Stay safe out there!

#10 greygelding

greygelding

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,882 posts

Posted 02 August 2020 - 07:51 AM

Mike, I love the video! It revives me, too, to see you in the saddle again. And I am fascinated by the discussion of grass, as it clearly relates to the climate conditions of a region. Here on the East coast, we are wet and humid, as well as hot. We expect green grass much of the year, while in hot, dry California, you have a totally different story. I was remembering seeing that type land in hot summer before. I also am intrigued with how the horses figure into your land management. Sounds like you and Pam have a lot thought out about this. Keep posting videos as you ride more!

The one thing I found interesting about the ride was holding the reins. I rode Mayo everywhere for so many years with no bridle that I got used to not having them. He seemed to understand where I wanted to go and it felt strange to have tp control where we were going. I guess I’ll have to learn how to ride all over again. LOL

MIKE

~Author Unknown